PDA

View Full Version : Needing someone to help with Ford SYNC in my Edge (obviously not Lightning related)

rickgig
05-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Last year I bought a really nice '08 Limited 2WD Edge. Great shape although the miles were a little on the high side the research I did allowed me to buy without concern.

It has Ford's SYNC by Microsoft version 1.0 of the software. Everything was fine and it sync'd up with my phone(s) perfectly up until recently. If any of y'all are Windows Phone users, our phones were just updated to WP8.1 which when I connected my phone to SYNC, caused SYNC to crater.

Apparently, WP8.1 and SYNC 1.0 don’t like each other. Based on what I’ve read, the upgrade to 2.0 of the SYNC software is a dealer thing only and some dealers are nailing the customers on the price for the upgrade which comes on a USB thumb drive and just needs babysitting while it updates.

If anyone knows of someone that can help with this steer them my way, please.

It’s not worth the price I’ve been hearing just to have my calls come through the car but it certainly is worth something.

L8 APEX
05-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Sometimes a hard reset helps, you have to power down the sync module or whole car when it gets jammed up. F150 has a SYNC forum. http://www.f150online.com/forums/sync-system-134/
I have a MySync account for our three cars and it suggests a different version for each one which I find suspicious...

rickgig
05-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Yup, I belong to that board and they have been very helpful in the past. I read the post about the hard reset and the way to do it is to pull the fuse, which happens to be #28 or #29 for the instrument panel. Pulled the radio and it did nothing to the radio.

Getting to that fuse is difficult at best especially for a fat fingered person. I had a fuse puller that was long but can't find it. Went to Wally World and nothing there. I'll go to NAPA tomorrow and buy a decent puller. From what I read that will fix the pairing issue. However, I was hoping to find someone up here that may have access to the 2.1 upgrade. One of the posts mentioned a dealer in the country that did the upgrade for 30 bucks. Too bad it wasn't in North Texas.

I'll post up tomorrow the results from pulling the fuse.

Appreciate the input, as always.

rickgig
05-07-2014, 02:18 PM
UPDATE

Nothing... got the fuse pulled and the radio showed no entertainment system (DVD players and SYNC). Left it that way for 3 minutes maybe more, put the fuse back in and... same ole crap. UGH!

dboat
05-07-2014, 08:43 PM
That's gotta be frustrating

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickgig
05-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Yup... learned a lesson too. The fuses are so small and the kick panel just so happens to be shaped like a funnel that if you drop the fuse... it fall into never never land. Before ya know it you’re pulling the door sills, lifting up carpet, moving wiring harnesses and sound deadning pad to find the fuse. Once you do that twice as I did, you use a rag to catch the little booger before it can get lost!

I'll try the procedure again, leave it off for a while, and see if the results are different. But this time... I'll note my radio and satellite presets and just disconnect the negative battery cable.

Silver_2000
05-08-2014, 10:35 AM
I wonder if "we" know anyone that can "help" with the upgrade
Another option if you are willing to wait is to see if the $$ goes down when and if they do the NEXT upgrade

I know on my lexus the older Nav update disks go for 30% of the cost when a new version comes out -

rickgig
05-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Not a bad idea although I think Ford has announced they are abondoning Microsoft SYNC/MFT due to cost and going with something else.

From what I understand, 2.1 is the latest and possibly the last upgrade for just the SYNC option. I guess they don't market SYNC without the touch screen anymore.

whitelightning'02
05-09-2014, 07:33 AM
My 2014 stx does not have touchscreen , but has sync

rickgig
05-09-2014, 09:44 AM
My 2014 stx does not have touchscreen , but has sync

Good, it's still out there. When ya can, tell me what version of the software is on it. Thanks!

whitelightning'02
05-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Good, it's still out there. When ya can, tell me what version of the software is on it. Thanks!

my ford website says
Gen1 - 4.2.1.T
I don't know how to check it in the truck yet.

rickgig
05-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Thanks... I guess I have a ways to go if I am on 1.0!