PDA

View Full Version : Dammit! Another E-Fan Wiring Question!!

tliss
05-18-2014, 12:54 PM
OK, I got the new inline fuse holder installed. Problem is now the damn fan only comes on if I flip the switch under the hood, not with the ignition! What the hell??? There are three wires down there...on red and one blue that go to the relay and another red that goes to the fan itself. I know I have to connect both reds to the power wire, but connecting the blue kicks the fan on regardless of ignition (constant power), so I know the blue should not be connected. Can anyone take a pic of this connection? I am wondering what the hell I did...this is driving me crazy!

Tom

tliss
05-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Well, tested the relay and controller...relay seems to to working but the controller is not flipping the fan on, so I'm replacing the switch and relay. Found out the blue is for a second fan, which I do not have, so I'm not worried about that.

can;t wait to rewire that beyotch!!

T

L8 APEX
05-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Who's fan kit is it? Most of us use a Ford two speed V6 Mustang fan.
One large wire is high speed and is for a battery hot track use manual switch.
The other lower speed is brought on by two sources both are ground switched. One is the temp sensor in the block which grounds the relay above 185 temp and opens below 170 temp. The second grounds the relay with a call for A/C or defrost. This wire has a diode to prevent the A/C from pulling in every time the block temp sensor grounds. We tap on to the A/C ground in the fuse panel under the hood. Most stab the wire under the A/C relay ground. The factory PCM ground relays to bring them on.
I use to have a wiring schedmatic I posted when Beaudee had an issue with his JDM or LFP fan. Not sure if the pic is still around.

tliss
05-21-2014, 08:17 AM
I got it solved...rewired with a new control switch and relay.

Terry, what are are describing sounds like what I have. I have three wires coming from the fuse block...green, which is tapped to the A/C ground, yellow which is plugged into the ignition and the red power. The red power coming from the fuse block (which is where the inline fuse is) is connected to two reds...one going into the controller and one going to the manual switch. There is an orange wire that goes out to the fan.

It was a bit of a pain in the ass but hopefully I won't have to rewire this thing ever again.

Now for some other maintenance activities...