PDA

View Full Version : My Sunday was.. productive

L8 APEX
03-03-2003, 01:37 AM
I planned on rolling the Corvette out of the garage for the first decent day in a few weeks and burn some laps at the Ranch. Then I get a call from a buddy that needs a little favor. The same guy that called me to help move his house out of the road a few months back. He owns a mechanic shop and promised a vehicle to be ready Monday morning. Complication was he broke his wrist and got banged up wrecking his ATV the day before. So I closed the garage door and went to his shop. Turns out the job was a transmission rebuild in a 3/4 ton Ford van so it used a E4OD. Basically the same as our L trannies.
I found some neat differences in the two trannies. Ours has a bypass tube between the cooler lines. It opens up in case the cooler lines or cooler is blocked. This was a rebuilt factory unit and when Ford replaces them they install an inline filter to the cooler. This filter got clogged and starved the transmission until it burned clutches. This E4OD did not have the bypass tube system. If it did that would have saved the trans for a lot longer. It is recommended to do a follow up change on bad burns when that external filter is installed. This was a fleet vehicle so they drove it until it woudn't move. It was getting very hot and spewing fluid out of the overflow port:hammer: I was glad to help a friend in need but don't any of you get any wise ideas!:twitch: I gotta get my hot laps in sometime:burnout: