PDA

View Full Version : 03 L Rocks: Converter Question

Alpine
03-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Ron, this is actually Rob(02 BOLT)(I have the silver L that was out at Ennis 2 and 3 weeks ago, with the cowl hood, chrome wheels, and Brembos) , I am over at Jeff's(Alpine) house and cannot get logged in for some reason. Anyway, I am about to install that Art Carr 2400 stall in my truck this weekend, and was wondering how you were liking yours so far. Can you tell a difference during normal driving? What RPM were you able to stall it up to last Friday? How about seat of the pants acceleration? I noticed you posted a 1.70 60ft :D That's gettin the hell up outta the hole! I'd just be interested to hear what you have to say about it. Thanks, Rob:burnout:

L8 APEX
03-19-2003, 08:03 PM
I just got off the phone with him discussing truck stuff. Maybe he'll respond tonight. I know he is setting down to the TV to watch some bombs go off:banana:

03LightningRocks
03-19-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Alpine
Ron, this is actually Rob(02 BOLT)(I have the silver L that was out at Ennis 2 and 3 weeks ago, with the cowl hood, chrome wheels, and Brembos) , I am over at Jeff's(Alpine) house and cannot get logged in for some reason. Anyway, I am about to install that Art Carr 2400 stall in my truck this weekend, and was wondering how you were liking yours so far. Can you tell a difference during normal driving? What RPM were you able to stall it up to last Friday? How about seat of the pants acceleration? I noticed you posted a 1.70 60ft :D That's gettin the hell up outta the hole! I'd just be interested to hear what you have to say about it. Thanks, Rob:burnout:

It is stalling up to about 1900-2000. I have been told that this is a normal variation for any torque converter. It does feel a little different driving around...mostly when leaving from a stop. I am getting use to it.

The jury is still out on wether or not I am happy with it. I guess I shouldn't cry about getting a 1.70 60 ft. I am still working on how high RPM I get the best launch.

To answer your other question...I did four passes...1 at 1200, 1 at 2000, one at idle and the last at 1500. My best time was pass number one.

Rocks

Alpine
03-19-2003, 08:55 PM
What were the 60 ft times on the other 3 passes?

cpeapea
03-19-2003, 09:29 PM
also, Ron, stall varies with the amount of torque your motor puts out. it will stall higher if you were putting out 700lbs of torque than with 600

03LightningRocks
03-19-2003, 09:31 PM
1st pass...1200 RPM Launch....1.709
2nd Pass...2000 RPM Launch....1.808
3rd Pass...800 RPM Launch....1.751
4th Pass...1500 RPM Launch....1.716

It really seemed to dislike that higher RPM launch. I plan to try it again Friday night.

Rocks:nana2

L8 APEX
03-19-2003, 09:35 PM
It likes to flash:nana2 Problem is you picked up a tenth in the 60' and only .08 in the quarter. It lost top end yet is supposed to be more efficient.:hammer:

03LightningRocks
03-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Yeah,

That is making me crazy. Why the heck is that happening? If I post all my times off the slips can you tell from the numbers what happened?

Rocks:hammer:

L8 APEX
03-20-2003, 01:48 AM
Just look after the 60' where the time slowed down. Take a stock converter pass from the 1/8 to the 1/4 marker times and compare. That will let you know what the converter is doing top end which should be locked up anyway. DO the same for below 1/8 mile times.

J.D. Blackwell
03-20-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 03LightningRocks
Yeah,

Why the heck is that happening?

Well, who programmed your chip?
You know the best way to get the full potential out of your stall converter is to have your chip reburned for "lockup".
If you don't have it reburned then your converter will actually have slippage in 3rd and overdrive. 3rd gear lockup is important on the track. When you hve your chip programmed to lockup in 3rd gear you will actually lose mph, BUT gain in e.t.

03LightningRocks
03-20-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by J.D. Blackwell
Well, who programmed your chip?
You know the best way to get the full potential out of your stall converter is to have your chip reburned for "lockup".
If you don't have it reburned then your converter will actually have slippage in 3rd and overdrive. 3rd gear lockup is important on the track. When you hve your chip programmed to lockup in 3rd gear you will actually lose mph, BUT gain in e.t.

Hello Justin,

That is interesting. Which tuner told you that? I would like to call him about mine. I have a Superchip that was tuned by superchips and Mike T. in Florida. They used my truck to get the 2003 Lightning programs set up.

Thanks,
Rocks:beer:

J.D. Blackwell
03-21-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by 03LightningRocks
Hello Justin,

That is interesting. Which tuner told you that?

Jim D'Amore and also I believe John Wiker aka Johnny Lightning when I was running his Diablo.

Silver_2000
03-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Alpine
Ron, this is actually Rob(02 BOLT)(I have the silver L that was out at Ennis 2 and 3 weeks ago, with the cowl hood, chrome wheels, and Brembos) , I am over at Jeff's(Alpine) house and cannot get logged in for some reason. Thanks, Rob:burnout:

If anyone has trouble logging off. Try deleting the 2 or 3 TALON cookies in your cookies folder and then log on. We have made some changes on this end that may have confused the cookies system. It should be fixed now BUT you need to delete the existing cookies to see...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=153417

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Cookies
or C:\windows\cookies
or c:\winnt\profiles\username\cookies

03LightningRocks
03-21-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by J.D. Blackwell
Jim D'Amore and also I believe John Wiker aka Johnny Lightning when I was running his Diablo.

Thanks Justin,

I sent Mike T an email asking him about it, I'll give him some time to respond. Should be interesting to see what he says about it. It sure is tough trying not to get one tuner ticked off at the other.

I will also check with a fellow I know at Superchips.....then I'll hit up JDM....LOL. By gawd, I'll get this thing working right one way or the other.

Thanks again Justin,

Rocks:beer: