PDA

View Full Version : Pics of a Lightning block without heads on it :) >>

wesman
03-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Here's a pic of the block without the heads on it. It should be up and running next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how it does with the new heads, long tubes, freeflow cats, X-pipe and Ruslow's underdrive pullies.

http://www.fritsche.org/~wstrong/pics/CarPics/Block.jpg

I'll post some dyno sheets once it's done.

-wes

microsuck
03-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Ahh, yes. I saw this motor today. and 2 new heads wrapped in plastic sitting next to it. Does anyone know what that filter is for in the lower right corner?
Andrew

wesman
03-22-2003, 05:17 PM
You mean left? It looks like AC lines.

--wes

lightningconcepts
03-23-2003, 01:02 AM
whoever did that did too much work. Exhaust manifolds did not have to be removed off of the midpipes (just the 10 bolts on the head itseld needed to be removed) and the timing chains and timing chain tensioners also did not have to be removed.

Also wes whats up with the paint coming off of you a/c clutch???

Will @ Lightning Concepts
www.lightningconceptsinc.com

wesman
03-23-2003, 04:35 AM
No idea what it entailed. I just know when it it's back together I'll have a new set of heads, full catback and some underdrive pullies to kick peoples a$$es with :nana2

--wes

Mark #2
03-24-2003, 10:06 AM
Does anyone know what the sensor is that is bolted in the center of the top of the block?

L8 APEX
03-24-2003, 10:36 AM
I think it is a knock but they are disabled on our trucks because the blower makes too much noise.

Mark #2
03-24-2003, 10:40 AM
I think you are correct, it just seems odd to me to put the sensor in the block and go to the trouble to have it wired and connected.

Extra money for no reason. Hard for me to believe that Ford would miss a chance to not to save money.

wesman
03-24-2003, 10:41 AM
I've heard conflicting views on that. Does anyone know for sure ?

--wes

L8 APEX
03-24-2003, 10:59 AM
It is probably one of those mass production deals. When I scan a truck it says sensor is "off". that is why listening for detonation is the driver's job. The GM cars are always telling you the voltage and knock retard in degree's.

Mark #2
03-24-2003, 11:01 AM
So every 5.4 short block is the same? I thought the Ls short blocks were different. Crank, rods and pistons.
Mark

wesman
03-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by L8 ****
It is probably one of those mass production deals. When I scan a truck it says sensor is "off". that is why listening for detonation is the driver's job. The GM cars are always telling you the voltage and knock retard in degree's.

Ahh...good to know :tu:

--wes

L8 APEX
03-24-2003, 11:13 AM
I know the rods are the same, and the heads are the same. Have to ask a Ford tech or run pn#'s on the rest. The block was supposed to he better oiling passages than stock 5.4's. I just know they don't use that knock sensor.