PDA

View Full Version : Blown plug club

03LightningRocks
04-06-2003, 10:00 PM
You folks will never know how hard it is for me to post this, but I need some help.

I just got off the phone with one of my service techs. Looks like we just launched a plug in one of our service vans. It is a 100% stock 2001 E250 cargo van with 42k miles on it.

I really wanted to believe the plug issue had to do with changing plugs. Not So. I have personally checked for loose plugs in that van twice since we bought it.

It will be at a Ford dealership in the morning to confirm it is the plug, but I already know what it is going to be. I had my service man pull the cover of the engine compartment in the cab and start the truck. He said he hears what sounds like an exhaust leak comming from the #8 cylinder at the top.

I read a post a few weeks ago about Ford having some sort of, "grace period" or "policy" of helping out when a truck is just beyond warranty. Could anyone either point me to that post or tell me how to word it for when I try to convince the dealer service people to help me out?

Damned, what a rotten weekend I am having!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Rocks
plano.air@verizon.net

I realize this is a bit off topic for Lightnings Doug, but I thought since it is a ford with a 5.4, you may give me some slack here to get some advice.

Moonshine
04-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Ron, I don't recall seeing a post like you mentioned, nor am I aware of any printed or official policy on this. However, I know that this problem is widespread enough that Ford is covering at least a portion of the repairs long after the warranty expires. My plug launched at 52K (16K after warranter expired) and they covered 75% of the repairs.

03LightningRocks
04-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Thanks Brian,

I talked to the service adviser at Towneast Ford today. He tells me the cat converters are melted!!! I did not realize this could happen. He said the fuel filter was cloggeg and caused a lean condition which caused the cats to get hot.

He is going to warranty replacement of the cats if I pay him to replace the fuel filter...I gave the go ahead on it.

Rocks

L8 APEX
04-07-2003, 03:13 PM
What happened to air coming out of the top of #8? Damn A/C Techs:twitch: Converters are warrantied a long time like 80-100K I think. Clogged fuel filter will cause a low power situation not burn up cats:hammer:

03LightningRocks
04-07-2003, 04:14 PM
I got to thinking about the exhaust leak and is it possible that exhaust could have been coming out of the manifolds with a plugged cat?

The melted cat thing was a new one on me too.

Rocks

blueoval01
04-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by 03LightningRocks
Thanks Brian,
I talked to the service adviser at Towneast Ford today. He tells me the cat converters are melted!!! I did not realize this could happen. He said the fuel filter was cloggeg and caused a lean condition which caused the cats to get hot.
He is going to warranty replacement of the cats if I pay him to replace the fuel filter...I gave the go ahead on it.
Rocks
Humm, just wondering ... Why Town East Ford? Close to work?

Jeez, with an '03 L, I'd figure "Everything" was still under warrenty.

I believe the consensus is that fuel filters should be changed every 10k. How many miles on yours?

wesman
04-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by blueoval01

I believe the consensus is that fuel filters should be changed every 10k. How many miles on yours?

I think you missed this part :)

"I just got off the phone with one of my service techs. Looks like we just launched a plug in one of our service vans. It is a 100% stock 2001 E250 cargo van with 42k miles on it. "

--wes

03LightningRocks
04-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by blueoval01

Actually, our offices are in Plano, and I live in Plano. My service techs get to drive their assigned vans home since they are on call 24/7. I have service accounts set up with Ford dealers all over the metroplex so that no matter where the break down occures, there is a nearby solution. Bankston is the only one on my "BLACK" list. They suck...IMHO.

Wesley answered this one

On my Lightning?...5000 miles...it's only driven to church on Friday evenings...LOL. Changed the fuel filter in it once and it's due again.

Rocks:beer:

blueoval01
04-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by wesman
I think you missed this part :)
"I just got off the phone with one of my service techs. Looks like we just launched a plug in one of our service vans. It is a 100% stock 2001 E250 cargo van with 42k miles on it. "
--wes
Oh Crap :(
Getting old is f**king hell ..... Sorry guys.
Well, I should say "Getting old is f**king hell" without my glasses... :rolleyes: