PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys ever get tired of spending money on your truck?

J.D. Blackwell
04-08-2003, 01:51 PM
I just needed somewhere to vent. There is no way that I can quit spending money on my L. That being said I believe it is about time to pack up the Lightning and send it to a new owner. Won't try to sell her til I get the bugs out though. It may give me a little time to enjoy the new sound and enjoy a few cruises though.
I have pissed away over $30,000 on this truck. I know I won't get near what I paid for, but I need to take my losses and walk away. I may change my mind a hundred times, but she will eventually be sold soon. Time is the quetion? :(

Anybody know what I can get for her?
Besides mods in sig, also have 20" painted replicas w/ new Gooyear rubber and lots of misc. parts.

andy_cain
04-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Get married...it has the same effect, and you get to be in the driver seat less, and total cost of ownership is worse than you can imagine.:confused:

Red2002
04-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Yes.

devildog92
04-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by J.D. Blackwell
I just needed somewhere to vent. There is no way that I can quit spending money on my L. That being said I believe it is about time to pack up the Lightning and send it to a new owner. Won't try to sell her til I get the bugs out though. It may give me a little time to enjoy the new sound and enjoy a few cruises though.
I have pissed away over $30,000 on this truck. I know I won't get near what I paid for, but I need to take my losses and walk away. I may change my mind a hundred times, but she will eventually be sold soon. Time is the quetion? :(

Besides mods in sig, also have 20" painted replicas w/ new Gooyear rubber and lots of misc. parts.

>>>>>Rethink it man. I know its a money pit now, BUT, I wish I still had mine, and I would hate to hear that after all the work you put in yours you have to say good-bye. I have been without for about a month, and there is not a day, nay 1/2 day that goes by I do not think of my truck at least once. It sounds like sentimental crap, but it might take a hit on you too since you have been wanting this thing to be a beast for so long. I am not saying keep it at all costs, just make dang sure that if you do it you are not kickin yourself a week later, like me...:(

wesman
04-08-2003, 03:15 PM
I feel you man...I have tons of money in all of my cars....the 300zx street racing car has a little over 20k in it....just keeps brealking and breaking...1-2k, another 3k there....it's just sitting in the garage without an engine now. I got fed up with it, now it just sits.

The L has been relatively cheap, but I guess that's in comparison. Whatever you decide to do best of luck to you.

You would probably make more money parting it out and putting things back to stock (sells your aftermarket goodies and get stock cores and cash in their place) It would obviously take longer, but could recoup more of your investment. It's tough selling a built vehicle, most assume built means ragged out and beat on....that and it's near impossible to get a loan for one from a bank since the asking price is generally well over blue book.

--wes

MadNess
04-08-2003, 03:36 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
DONT SELL IT :crying: DONT SELL IT :crying:

L8 APEX
04-08-2003, 03:59 PM
To get anything near decent you will have to part it out. You will get nothing but BS and flames. It is a hassle to swap motors, trannys and all the money parts so decide before hand if the return is worth it. Because when you pull motors things get scratched etc.. Cutting your losses can pay dividens down the road. Unless you are planning on buying another loan then might as well pay for the one you've got. Let us know how it goes!:beer:

J.D. Blackwell
04-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Well, for you guys that know my truck, you think I could get $35,000 out of it like it is?

L8 APEX
04-08-2003, 04:25 PM
From what I have seen of the Lightning market is nothing goes above the price of a new truck. The price of a new truck is considered Xplan or about 29K. I would say realistic price around 28K. The buyer for that kind of toy is HARD to find. They usually don't know what they want until they have already bought and started mods.

wesman
04-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
From what I have seen of the Lightning market is nothing goes above the price of a new truck. The price of a new truck is considered Xplan or about 29K. I would say realistic price around 28K. The buyer for that kind of toy is HARD to find. They usually don't know what they want until they have already bought and started mods.

Agree 100%

Sad but true :(

--wes

TxBolt
04-08-2003, 04:37 PM
Well guess I do. I have spent $4875.00 in the last mounth! I got depressed for awhile, while its down. But justin it will pass. Are your expectations of your truck too high? Like you should at least pull the front tires off the line, or maybe fly, for these kind of pesos's?:hammer: I hope you change your mind or buy a gen3!:nana2

98Cobra
04-08-2003, 04:39 PM

My opinion is that you are past the hard, expensive part of your odyssey with your truck. You wont get anywhere near what you put in it, and with this much invested you might as well try to enjoy it now! If you are looking for a 2000 a little closer to stock, I might trade ya :D

J.D. Blackwell
04-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by TxBolt
I have spent $4875.00 in the last mounth!

Is that all, I have spent over $9,000 in the last month.:hammer:

And still having tranny problems.....I think it is the dang valve body.

Silver_2000
04-08-2003, 05:32 PM
sorta sounds like the phone call I got from my Ex this morning

She has the house she lives in on the market for $135k - the only thing is no house in that neighborhood ever sold over $115K and that one isnt the nicest there... That house was purchased for 80k less than 10 years ago.

She is pricing it based on what she has put into it and what she wants to get out of it to move to better house. She only put 25 k (MAYBE) into it and a lot of that was just maintenance... NOT upgrades.

The moral of the story is the selling price will be based on what someone will pay... As L8 said it wil not likely be that high ...

My $0.02

Doug

Silver_2000
04-08-2003, 05:33 PM
And still having tranny problems.....I think it is the dang valve body.

I thought FT stuff was invincable and there were no uhappy customers....

J.D. Blackwell
04-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
I thought FT stuff was invincable and there were no uhappy customers....

Well, I may be a first. I pulled the chip and it has done the same thing. There is no check engine light or flashing ovrdrive light.
No sounds of electrical problems, so lets try mechaical problems.

I left Gregg a message to call. Waiting for him to call and help me.

wesman
04-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Well, I may be a first. I pulled the chip and it has done the same thing. There is no check engine light or flashing ovrdrive light.
No sounds of electrical problems, so lets try mechaical problems.

I left Gregg a message to call. Waiting for him to call and help me.

I don't know about the personal issues between Doug and Greg (there seem to be a few) but Greg has been helpful with me. I too thought I had a bad VB (I still may). I went on his forum on NLOC and posted my symptoms and issues I was having. He replied and offered to send me a new VB ASAP. I told him I was hesitant to put in another, not to mention that I had to do the labor to replace the "defective" one. He said he would throw in a deep pan and filter(which I had just done at the same time as the VB) for my troubles. That was pretty nice IMO. I didn't end up replacing my VB yet, I'll see if it still has issues when i get the truck back. He said the offer still stands whenever I decide to swap it out.

--wes

03LightningRocks
04-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Justin,

You may be the second. I have emailed him 3 times with what I thought was a simple question about the tranny jumping into first when I shift from nuetral. He has yet to respond. he's gonna chit when I show up at his front door and ask for the answer...LOL.

Rocks

L8 APEX
04-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Look at Doug get zesty:D I have some stock bodies I think, if you want to switch one out. I am pretty familiar with those things if you are ever in town:tu:

Silver_2000
04-08-2003, 10:41 PM
I dont have any personal issues with Greg. I dont know him.

I just dont like the arrogance. He acts like he was next to Henry when the trans was invented. His is the only possible solution, there are no problems with them and there can be no other solutions.

Doug

Crawford
04-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Justin,

Dont do it. You will not get even close to what you want out of it. You have worked so hard to get it this close, you are almost there! Just keep the truck and live lean for a while until you are caught back up on the funds. It will be tough but I think if you stay with it you will be happiest in the end.

wesman
04-08-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
I dont have any personal issues with Greg. I dont know him.

I just dont like the arrogance. He acts like he was next to Henry when the trans was invented. His is the only possible solution, there are no problems with them and there can be no other solutions.

Doug

hehehe...him and Henry went to different schools together...they were "homies" as Terry would say.

:roll

--wes

J.D. Blackwell
04-15-2003, 06:04 PM
:flaming: Man, I am tired of this truck. As soon as I get all of the bugs worked out, it is going down the road. I am going to buy a real truck....'03 Dodge 3/4ton 4x4 Cummins baby.:tu:

03LightningRocks
04-15-2003, 06:13 PM
:flaming: Man, I am tired of this truck. As soon as I get all of the bugs worked out, it is going down the road. I am going to buy a real truck....'03 Dodge 3/4ton 4x4 Cummins baby.:tu:

Let me guess...the transmission?

Greg sent me a weird email Saturday. It mentioned going back and forth with messages and told me to call. he said that I needed to send the tranny back to let him rework it.

Since I had not been swapping messages on the machine with him and since he had told me my problem was most likely the valve body, I emailed him back asking if he meant that email for you. He never emailed back, so I figured it was yours he was talking about.

Rocks :hammer:

J.D. Blackwell
04-16-2003, 04:25 PM
He told me to send him the tranny back too. I am thinking that it may be a solenoid. I am thinking it through carefully before I send it back. He said he will break it open when he gets it, but I may be able to fix it if it is not internally.

P.S. RUSLOW an I already pulled the VB is it was good.

98Cobra
04-16-2003, 04:59 PM

No HEMI? LOL. :d

L8 APEX
04-16-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by 98Cobra
No HEMI? LOL. :d
I bet you ain't got one of these!

Send it back, if it is not shifting until you let up and going 1st to third then over reving on kickdown it is the intermediate sprag.

wesman
04-16-2003, 11:01 PM
Agree with Terry...all the researtch I have done has pointed to that.

Luckily mine is still a stock tranny....would suck even worse if I was in your position and spent the 2k+ on the tranny and it's still got the issue....feel for you man :(

--wes

98Cobra
04-17-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
I bet you ain't got one of these!

A Hemi? Nope, and nor would I want one! :vomit:

L8 APEX
04-17-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by 98Cobra
A Hemi? Nope, and nor would I want one! :vomit:
A parachute dude:banana:

MadMax