PDA

View Full Version : Where's that danged rattle coming from?

TXBLU
04-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Anybody have a rattling noise from the left rear cab while cornering? I don't hear it on the left side. Sounds like the seat belt retractor assembly. Any suggestions? I guess I should yank the damned thing out to see if that really is the cause before I go nuts. But why only the left side? :confused:

MadNess
04-09-2003, 04:24 PM
weird.. Ihave the SAME DAMN NOISE... if you find it, LET ME KNOW.. it only happens on rough roads, or on cornering.. sounds like metal tapping.. its NOT the seat belt though.. I have hunted that rattle for a year now.

L8 APEX
04-09-2003, 04:38 PM
I have driven three or four cusotmer trucks with that same noise. sounds like the tensioner is loose or spare parts in the B pillar:hammer:

Crawford
04-09-2003, 04:40 PM
I had that problem on my 2000. The dealership said it was a metal tag affixed to the bed of the truck that was tapping the cab behind the driver seat. They bent it back against the cab and it was gone. Let me know if thats it!

MadNess
04-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Crawford
I had that problem on my 2000. The dealership said it was a metal tag affixed to the bed of the truck that was tapping the cab behind the driver seat. They bent it back against the cab and it was gone. Let me know if thats it!

Any idea where to look to find this little metal tag?

L8 APEX
04-09-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by MadNess
Any idea where to look to find this little metal tag?
Uh, between the bad and the cab... Houston scares me for many reasons:hammer: :tongue:

MadNess
04-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
Uh, between the bad and the cab... Houston scares me for many reasons:hammer: :tongue:

well I was looking for more detailed info... you think houston scares you.. dont got to dallas, they gotsome crazy foos up there... LOL

I guess I could pull the bed off and find the tag., or crawford could give me an idea of where on the cab or the bed, this tag lives LOL

J.D. Blackwell
04-09-2003, 11:00 PM

If you think Houston scares you because of what Madness said, wait til yoiu find out where he is really from.:eek:

Crawford
04-10-2003, 12:02 AM
On my 2000 it was about the size of a dog tag on the bed right behind where the driver sits. It was rivited to the bed and was bent out towards the cab where it rattled against it when the rear of the truck flexed. I looked for it on my 2001 today but it was too dark in the parking garage at work on my black truck to see if it was there. Just get a flashlight and take a look between the cab and the bed. Let me know. :confused:

dboat
04-10-2003, 08:02 AM
except it seems like it is coming from the passenger side...I thought it was a loose speaker or something,.,:hammer:

MadNess
04-10-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by J.D. Blackwell
If you think Houston scares you because of what Madness said, wait til yoiu find out where he is really from.:eek:

:roll

L8 APEX
04-10-2003, 09:45 AM
Let me guess standard inbred hillbilly from East TX:eek2:

MadNess
04-10-2003, 10:30 AM

you sure gotta purty mouth boy...:eek2:

MadNess
04-10-2003, 10:33 AM

can you sqqqqqqqqquuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeelllllllll like a pig?;)

L8 APEX
04-10-2003, 11:08 AM
How many threads have you polluted in the last two days? I refuse to crawl around with you any more:nono: Keep TALON clean:tu:

MadNess
04-10-2003, 05:50 PM
How many threads have you polluted in the last two days? I refuse to crawl around with you any more:nono: Keep TALON clean:tu:

now how would they keep talon clean with you still here terry? :eek:

HighVoltage
04-11-2003, 01:00 AM
I hear a rattles on my truck sometimes. The passenger seat belt rattles if its caught behind the seat and B pillar, I have to fix that all the time. When the rear slider is open I hear rattles from the bed, I was looking the other day, and I think its the plastic guide sleeve for the crank on the spare tire winch.

TXBLU
04-15-2003, 12:32 PM
I have fixed my problem. It was actually two problems. The driver's door was not seated tight enough against the door seals. I adjusted the latch anchor just a bit and the door now seats tightly in the door frame. The other problem is not really 'fixed', I just can't hear it now. The seat belt retractor assembly has a small 'inertia' ball that activates the reel lock whenever you are turning, braking, or accellerating. That ball is free to rattle about in its seat at all times. Part of the design. Can't change it. So, I sound insulated the area on the inside of the sidewall panel. No more rattles (that I can hear anyway!).

MadNess
04-21-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by TXBLU
I have fixed my problem. It was actually two problems. The driver's door was not seated tight enough against the door seals. I adjusted the latch anchor just a bit and the door now seats tightly in the door frame. The other problem is not really 'fixed', I just can't hear it now. The seat belt retractor assembly has a small 'inertia' ball that activates the reel lock whenever you are turning, braking, or accellerating. That ball is free to rattle about in its seat at all times. Part of the design. Can't change it. So, I sound insulated the area on the inside of the sidewall panel. No more rattles (that I can hear anyway!).

I looked at the latch anchor on my door this weekend, how did you get any adjustment out of yours? There does not appear to be any room to adjust it?

TXBLU
05-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I was on vacation in Mexico, swimming with the dolphins, gettin' a tattoo, dinking mass quantities, and eyeballin' the topless Euro-trash on the beach.

Anyway, the bolt holes for the anchor are slotted. The nuts are held in place by a spring clip that is riveted to the cab. Loosen the bolts, about one turn or so, and hold a piece of wood ( I used a 2X4) against the anchor, then smack it with a hammer. I put a peice of tape next to the anchor (before I adjusted it) so I could keep track of how much I moved it. Tighten the bolts back down, then close the door and see if it's flush with the cab. Simple stuff!!!!

Good luck!!!:tu:

dboat
05-01-2003, 10:11 AM
you gonna be at Pugsleys tonight to show how you did this?
Dana

TXBLU
05-01-2003, 01:33 PM
I don't think I'll be makin' it this time. I have WAY too many irons in the fire at the moment. I was at the Mavs game last night (Hunt Oil Co.'s Platinum Level suite, no less), and I still need to finish putting my new grill together (told the wife I'd be cookin' on it tonight!!!), and finish painting my recently completed "cabana/pool equipment storage" building. I would be happy to help anyone with thier rattle probs if they wanted to stop by between about 3:00 - 6:00 pm during the week. Otherwise I could help out on a weekend day. Hopefully things will settle down enough soon so I can start hittin' the meetings. See ya!!! :burnout:

dboat
05-01-2003, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TXBLU
[B]
I would be happy to help anyone with thier rattle probs if they wanted to stop by between about 3:00 - 6:00 pm during the week. Otherwise I could help out on a weekend day.

I may take you up on that offer:tu: ... I have one that I just cant figure out...

Dana

TXBLU
05-02-2003, 07:38 AM
Let me know....:burnout:

dboat
05-02-2003, 09:08 AM
next week?

work for you?

TXBLU
05-02-2003, 09:19 AM
No problem. Say when....:tu: