PDA

View Full Version : hp depleated over time?

Natetrun
04-19-2003, 01:52 AM
I was wondering. can your motor become weaker over time even IF: you change the oil, maintain it properly?

woodro
04-19-2003, 02:36 AM
Like the people who drive them. They get stronger as they break in. Then weaker till they die. Good preventative maintenance and easy driving only prolong the inevitable. That being said you shouldn't see an appreciable change in performance till well past 100K on a well maitained engine, unless you beat the crap out of it.

Sixpipes
04-19-2003, 08:53 AM
62,000 miles and the old boy still has plenty of grits left. Never had any engine trouble and still running the stock transmission (w/new valve body). Start losing compression from excessive wear and you may notice power loss over time, but I'm not aware of anyone that has ever lost a motor from long term wear. It usually happen very quickly. Ask L8 about that. http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/shifty.gif

Natetrun
04-19-2003, 11:22 PM
hehe... hopefully oneday i will beable to afford a new motor as needed. :beer:

HighVoltage
04-20-2003, 02:36 AM
Maybe compression loss from ring wear, I've seen 5.0's in magazines with 100k plus still running 14's stock. Just add more boost down the road!:tu:

Natetrun
04-20-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by HighVoltage
Maybe compression loss from ring wear, I've seen 5.0's in magazines with 100k plus still running 14's stock. Just add more boost down the road!:tu:

:roll

Moonshine
04-21-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Sixpipes
62,000 miles and the old boy still has plenty of grits left. Never had any engine trouble and still running the stock transmission (w/new valve body). Start losing compression from excessive wear and you may notice power loss over time, but I'm not aware of anyone that has ever lost a motor from long term wear. It usually happen very quickly. Ask L8 about that. http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/shifty.gif

Ditto what Dennis said. Mine's just over 70K miles, and she's still pretty stout. :tu: