PDA

View Full Version : SS Silverado spotted

L8 APEX
04-27-2003, 10:39 AM
Moonshine and I were strolling through Midlothian on 287 yesterday. We saw a red x-cab Silverado SS. it looks just like the magazine pics with those chrome air scoops under the bumper. It looked clean but I don't know how fast it will be. I also heard they are slow for a $39K asking price.

StormShadow
04-27-2003, 05:25 PM
I saw a red one in Mansfield yesterday over off of cooper. whats the deal with these trucks, any info?

L8 APEX
04-27-2003, 05:28 PM
I am sure someone can find the specs but basically it is a x-cab 1500, lowered, special ground effects wheels and such, as for power they have a 6.0L motor from the Escalade, Denali, or 2500 trucks. They rate it @ 345 but it is all wheel drive like the GMC C3 pickup that flopped a few years back.
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/163_0212_gm/
http://www.chevrolet.com/ss/ss_flash.htm

mercbuff
04-27-2003, 06:17 PM
heck for 39k i would have the harley truck :twitch:

Natetrun
04-27-2003, 09:00 PM
I'm sure we will se those die hard chevy fan ford haters all over the place with them soon. And they might be the type at a light to have something to prove hehe.

David N
04-27-2003, 09:49 PM
you can get a harley truck for 33k new all day...

Logan
04-28-2003, 07:31 AM
I've been thinking about a harley truck too... :)

tliss
04-28-2003, 08:38 AM
Doesn't the Harley truck put up better numbers, anyway? The Harley gets my vote too!

Tom

cpeapea
04-28-2003, 09:29 AM
jesus the front end of those are ugly

dboat
04-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by tliss
Doesn't the Harley truck put up better numbers, anyway? The Harley gets my vote too!

Tom

Me too, except if you are a die hard Chevy fan (I was one once), then this is what they have made for you to hang your hat on.. I guess you could always throw a blower on it, etc to get it going a little faster...

tliss
04-28-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by dboat
...this is what they have made for you to hang your hat on..

Like trying to hang your hat on a wall with no hook! :roll

Tom

Tony2000
04-28-2003, 11:21 PM
they have a black one at Van Chevrolet at I-35
a sales man wanted me to test drive one he said they had three
maight try it so that i can laugh in there face :roll :roll :roll

TXBLU
05-02-2003, 07:42 AM
Hell, take the salesman for a ride in the L and tell him to call you when Chevy has a truck that can hang with a Lightning....:throw:

BC Lightning
05-03-2003, 07:36 PM
A buddy and I went up to Frank Parra in Irving and looked at the 50th anniv. vettes and saw a black silverado ss. The sticker had them at 345 hp. and $41,000. Too much money for not enough truck if you ask me.

BC Lightning
05-03-2003, 07:37 PM
all wheel drive though......

TXBLU
05-05-2003, 06:35 AM
Makes it even slower!!!:hammer: (Unless you drive in the snow.....:rolleyes: )

Shiner1
05-05-2003, 07:44 AM
I spoke with a saleman at Huffines before they had come out. I left him my number so he could give me a call and I'd come down and take a look at one. In the meantime I smarted up and bought my 03 L. So this guy calls me later on and I tell him I bought a Lightning. He says "bring it on down we'll give you a good deal" I should have gone just to see what mine's worth:roll

microsuck
05-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Gav and I saw one at a small car show on sunday. Personally I thought it was gay as hell. It was really tall off the ground. I couldnt see inside the engine compartment. When I did finally look into it everything was just covered with plastic. My overall impression told me that it looked like they were trying to retain a bit of off-road capability with it. It had all-terain tires on it and it was about as high off the ground as my dads f250. It looks like they were going for a multi-purpose truck and didnt make it really good anything. Needless to say, I was very proud to walk up to my L when we left.
Andrew

02svtlightning
05-07-2003, 08:00 PM
road abd track posted the ss at 15.7 qtr mile For $40K lightning looks batter anyway

tliss
05-07-2003, 09:36 PM
I dropped by the bow tie dealer up here in McK just to see these things. Ugly as hell and what a waste of $$. That thing is not worth $40K, but the sales guy that came up to sell me told me they have moved a bunch. He tried talking how great it is until I told him I have a Lightning. All he could come up with is "you can tow a lot more with it." Big freakin' deal. If I wanted to tow a bunch of heavy stuff I would have bought a duelie...a doolie...a duly....one of those trucks with double-wheels on the back.

Tom

TXBLU
05-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Yeah, the Chevy supposedly rides real nice, can tow more that the L, and has 4WD. I suppose if that's what you want, it's not too bad. Personally, I don't care for the way it looks, have absolutely no use for 4WD, and I'm willing to sacrafice a little bit of ride quality for a better handling machine. My lightning tows my M/C trailer and my 12' box trailer (with electric brakes, thank you) with ease, plus in stock form will spank the dog poop out of any stock Chevy truck. I have a hard time with Chevy putting the "SS" badge on a vehicle that's more for looks than performance. I hate having the memory of my '71 SS Chevelle tarnished like that.

But that's just me...

L8 APEX
05-08-2003, 07:56 AM
Don't confuse 4wd with all wheel drive. The SS is all wheel drive that system is much looser than 4wd. It will get stuck and is not meant for off road. 4wd is too tight and cannot be driven on dry streets without hopping and bucking in turns.:tu:

TXBLU
05-08-2003, 09:27 AM
Yeah, O.K. It still isn't something I need to have. If the additional weight penalty didn't exist, or if the performance and driving dynamics were improved to Lightning levels, maybe.
I still don't care for the looks, however.:hammer:

dboat
05-08-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by TXBLU
Yeah, O.K. It still isn't something I need to have. If the additional weight penalty didn't exist, or if the performance and driving dynamics were improved to Lightning levels, maybe.
I still don't care for the looks, however.:hammer:

me too!!:cool: