PDA

View Full Version : Front License Plate Question

Lyfisin
05-06-2003, 06:06 PM
Drove my truck to Midland this weekend. When I stopped in Abiline, an officer came up to me and said something about not having a front license plate on my truck.

I know this is a two plate state, but I would prefer not to drill holes in my truck.

Are there any other alternatives?

He told me it didn't have to be mounted as long as it was displayed, so I went into the convenience mart and bought a roll of paper towels and leaned my plate, which I always have carried, against the towels.

Lyfisin

microsuck
05-06-2003, 06:18 PM
If you actually get a ticket for not having one.... you can just take a pic of your car with it on it and take it to the judge and he will dismiss it. Then take it back off.
Andrew

cpeapea
05-06-2003, 08:11 PM
most of the ricers suction cup it to their windshield, or hang it in there some how

03LightningRocks
05-06-2003, 10:09 PM
It is a state law. I ran my 97 F150 for 5 1/2 years without it and never got pulled over for the plate. Then last winter I took my truck in to have some paint touch up done. The dealer saw the plate and bracket behind my seat and gratiously put it on for me....URRRGGGGG.

But anyway, I don't have it on my Lightning and the bracket is not behind the seat this time. I would have a cow if they put it on my Lightning.
So far...I have been lucky. I have even been pulled over several times over the years and they never griped about my plate.

I hope I don't come across your cop.

Rocks

L8 APEX
05-06-2003, 10:33 PM
I take my chances with the L and the Vette's. I refuse to deface my vehicle for the "man":nono: The only times I have been asked about it was from a State Trooper or soem cop shooting lidar and thinking it was the lack of a plate why he couldn't get me. Of course that is top of the list when cops are looking for stuff like at nightly gatherings:twitch:

Shiner1
05-07-2003, 08:03 AM
I'd rather pay the fine than screw up the front of my truck. I've been stopped twice since I got my truck and neither officer said anything about not having a front plate. (Lewisville PD & DPS):tu:

andy_cain
05-07-2003, 09:02 AM
I got a tickett for it here in Allen ($86.00)
You can take a picture of it tie wired to the lower grill on the front and get the tickett dismissed or at least drop the fine...no holes in my babys front lip....
:mad:

Lyfisin
05-07-2003, 11:08 AM
I live in Allen. :(

It's good to know there are some options if it ever happens. I wonder what would happen if you got a ticket for it, fixed it and then got another one.

Lyfisin

microsuck
05-07-2003, 11:46 AM
sounds pretty unlikely. I would just be honest with the judge and say "yeah, I took it off right after the picture. I really love my truck and the plate really detracts from its appearence" you never know, he might understand.....
Andrew

Lyfisin
05-07-2003, 12:53 PM
It's possible he could be sympathetic, but his job would be to make sure the law was upheld. I don't think there would be much he could do.

I don't even know if it will ever be an issue. I've passed the police a number of times on my way into work in the morning and they're facing right at me. My company car doesn't have a license plate on the front either. Same issue. Trailblazer with no holes and I've just been too lazy to put them on.

I'm probably overconcerned about nothing.

Lyf

Sixpipes
05-07-2003, 01:39 PM
I've been pulled over three times by the State Highway Patrol, but never got a ticket. I'm thinking it gives them an excuse if they want to pull you over. I can't figure out why folks from Oklahoma or Louisiana can drive all over the place with no front plate, but it's against the law for Texas residents. Doesn't make sense. :cool:

Moonshine
05-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Sixpipes
I've been pulled over three times by the State Highway Patrol, but never got a ticket. I'm thinking it gives them an excuse if they want to pull you over. I can't figure out why folks from Oklahoma or Louisiana can drive all over the place with no front plate, but it's against the law for Texas residents. Doesn't make sense. :cool:

Yup, occasionally used as a reason to stop (most often by DPS), but almost never enforced unless you've been previously warned by the same cop. Bills have been introduced in the past two legislative sessions to change Tx to a one plate state, but both times they never made it out of committee. Law enforcement groups usually argue against a change because the front plate is an additional identifier.

From a professional point of view I favor two plates, but from a personal perspective I'd much prefer a single plate. Hey, maybe we could introduce a bill in the next legislative session that only ugly vehicles have to have a front plate. Attractive vehicles where a front plate would detract from the front end appearance could be exempt. :tu:

dboat
05-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Moonshine
Yup, occasionally used as a reason to stop (most often by DPS), but almost never enforced unless you've been previously warned by the same cop. Bills have been introduced in the past two legislative sessions to change Tx to a one plate state, but both times they never made it out of committee. Law enforcement groups usually argue against a change because the front plate is an additional identifier.

From a professional point of view I favor two plates, but from a personal perspective I'd much prefer a single plate. Hey, maybe we could introduce a bill in the next legislative session that only ugly vehicles have to have a front plate. Attractive vehicles where a front plate would detract from the front end appearance could be exempt. :tu:

or maybe just convicts :hammer:

diablolightning
05-07-2003, 06:21 PM
Hey we suction cupped ours on the L's windshield. I guess Im a ricer lol (or racer):nana2

TxBolt
05-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Mine was already on the front. Never had a choice or knew that I needed one.

Eric the Red
05-07-2003, 07:39 PM
I just had the bracket professionally painted the same color as the truck and had the paint shop install it. I'd rather have the front plate on than give the cops any reason to hassle me. I refused to put it on my silver '01...never had a problem, but I hated passing a cop. It looks fine to me, and I get a little peace of mind.

dboat
05-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Eric the Red
I just had the bracket professionally painted the same color as the truck and had the paint shop install it. I'd rather have the front plate on than give the cops any reason to hassle me. I refused to put it on my silver '01...never had a problem, but I hated passing a cop. It looks fine to me, and I get a little peace of mind.

Shazbot,
I saw your paint job and it rocked... best looking lisc plate holder I have ever seen...

but personally, I'll take my chances on no plate.. been running my car that way for over a decade without a prob...
Dana

Eric the Red
05-07-2003, 09:41 PM
SHAZBOT IS DEAD
LONG LIVE SHAZBOT

:D

Thanks, Dana.

Yeah, my first choice definitely was to leave it pristine...untouched...but I cracked under the pressure, man. Dang cops...always eyeballin' me.

:eek2:

99WhiteBeast
05-07-2003, 10:17 PM
I've been ticketed for no plate twice in Arlington when they couldn't get me for speeding.

I've been pulled over twice in the last month (both warnings- 1 APD, 1 DPS) and each time the cop walked to the front of truck to verifiy I had the plate on.

Wish I would have known about the picture deal:hammer:

I say put it on or leave it off- the plate in the dash :nono: or anywhere else looks crappy IMO

Personally I like the looks off but I don't want to give any over zealous cop a reason to pull me over

diablolightning
05-07-2003, 10:34 PM
I got pulled over and ticketed before and the damn cop didn't put repairable and so i had to got to court. I still had to pay half because the officer wasn't there. I figured I didn't have to pay anything. I see the officer often and he finaly told me he pulled me over because some guy ran and got away from his ass. he pissed me off and havn't seen him since:flaming:

dboat
05-08-2003, 09:28 AM
over at F150online.. there is a link in there where a guy xeroxed his plate using some kind of film and just sticks it on the bumper and then just pulls it off.. he can do this as many times as he wants.. no holes and legal... check it out..

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=948758#post948758

OneRedTXBolt
05-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Just catching up :)

I got ticketed in Richardson for no plate. It's a $100 offense. I did then mount the plate, take a picture and went to court to get it dismissed. I needed a new front bumper cover anyway, so it didn't kill me too much to mount it.

MrsMy2002Lightning
05-27-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by 03LightningRocks
It is a state law. I ran my 97 F150 for 5 1/2 years without it and never got pulled over for the plate. Then last winter I took my truck in to have some paint touch up done. The dealer saw the plate and bracket behind my seat and gratiously put it on for me....URRRGGGGG.

But anyway, I don't have it on my Lightning and the bracket is not behind the seat this time. I would have a cow if they put it on my Lightning.
So far...I have been lucky. I have even been pulled over several times over the years and they never griped about my plate.

I hope I don't come across your cop.

Rocks

Well, I know no-one else has to worry about THAT mechanic doing that to their trucks. He's probably dead right? HEHE !

What a butt-head. I woulda had a cow too.

MrsMy2002Lightning
05-27-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by microsuck
sounds pretty unlikely. I would just be honest with the judge and say "yeah, I took it off right after the picture. I really love my truck and the plate really detracts from its appearence" you never know, he might understand.....
Andrew

HEHEH Andrew! YOU SURE DO WUB YOU TWUCK don't you :)

hehe!!

wesman
05-27-2003, 03:24 PM
I was told about my lack of a front plate, my rear plate smoked lense and my "unapproved" tailights. He was right on the first two being illegal, didn't beleive me much that the tailights were stock.

He didn't ticket me for any of them but wanted me to get them fixed ASAP....sure thing officer:tu:

--wes