PDA

View Full Version : Considering a mod or 3... opinions?

my2002lightning
06-18-2003, 08:52 PM
Well,

1) I really want a set of Wet Okole's (in RED) to accent the truck and protect the seats. I hear they wear very well and it's a good product.

Anyone run these and/or hear of how they fare?

http://www.wetokole.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WOH&Product_Code=LIGHTN&Category_Code=FORD

2) Now that the stock exhaust has "seasoned" and has developed a bit of a "rumble", I've been reasearching that the stock exhaust (especially the 2-pairs of restrictive cats) is a big-pwr robber. BUT, I don't want to lose low-end TQ.

The f150online/Lightning guys like these and are happy w/"performance" gains ...

http://www.teamjdm.com/id244.htm

http://www.teamjdm.com/id252.htm

Basically, I want performance/SOTP gains, etc, etc... and to scare women/small children, rattle my new SVT certs off the garage wall in the morning and to sound like someone unleashed 7-kinds of H#LL when I romp on the go-pedal ! :beer::nana2

Opinions?...

Ronald

L8 APEX
06-18-2003, 09:00 PM
If you want SOTP mods start with a chip and filter.
Just buy exhaust for sound IMO. Several members are running my Magnaflow systems:tu:

my2002lightning
06-18-2003, 09:06 PM
L8,

Have any hi-flow SS cat offerings as of yet?

Thanks,

Ronald

L8 APEX
06-18-2003, 09:41 PM
L8,

Have any hi-flow SS cat offerings as of yet?

Thanks,

Ronald
Yeah, I thought I replied to your PM the other day? Same as JDM uses Car Sound hi flows.

my2002lightning
06-18-2003, 10:19 PM
L8,

I rcvd your PM and am pondering options.

"Car Sound" ? JDM hi-flow cats? School me, here... not trying to be a wise-@ss...

Ronald

dboat
06-19-2003, 07:26 AM
Terry will steer you right on an exhaust if you want one.. but you are getting for the sound and not any perf gains.. but he is the one to go to on exhaust..
I have Wet Okele's on my truck, been on it from the beginning... even if you wear the bottom out, they will replace it for $40.. you know how big I am and I love them.
If you want to see them, just let me know..
Dana

L8 APEX
06-19-2003, 07:45 AM
L8,

I rcvd your PM and am pondering options.

"Car Sound" ? JDM hi-flow cats? School me, here... not trying to be a wise-@ss...

Ronald
JDM uses Car Sound brand converters.

Shiner1
06-19-2003, 09:31 AM
Big Ron...
I agree with Terry. I have appox. $1,100.00 in headers and Bassani cat back for a total gain of 8hp. sounds good but money could have been better spent elsewhere. Put your $$ into a pully, chip, filter, Gregg Evans valve body for your tranny...maybe not that order but you get the idea.

-- John

tliss
06-19-2003, 09:54 AM
Just a chip and filter will really make a difference that you will love. Pulley to add some low end torque and a little HP. Line mod valve for crisp, strong shifts under load and heavy scratches during shifts :burnout:. Exhaust is just for sound...I got the exhaust (Terry's Wild exhaust with twin Magnaflow bullets :tu: ) and upgraded to a 4# pulley for a whopping 3HP/~40+ ftpbs torque (increase due to the additional 2# boost, not due to the exhaust). Electric fan/Cobra R water pump, maybe the single blade TB for a little bit more (those are probably my next mods).

If you want to go crazy, pull the engine and rebuild the bottom end, port and polish the heads (or get better heads), add a Works or KB blower and :d:d:burnout::burnout:.

Tom

J.D. Blackwell
06-19-2003, 10:57 AM
Yep, if you want the best bank for the buck performance wise, go for the chip, pulley, and filter. It won't help with exhaust sound, but it will make that blower wine like the devil. Also I suggest valve body like Dr. Bigg Dogg said and also change out those plugs.

Does someone have the top 10 list on what to do to the L for performance?

Shiner1
06-19-2003, 11:28 AM
tliss--
What kind of gains/imporvements have you seen in the e-fan and the Cobra h2o pump.

J.D. Blackwell
06-19-2003, 11:32 AM
tliss--
What kind of gains/imporvements have you seen in the e-fan and the Cobra h2o pump.

Well, actual hp that the kit will free up is about 10 flywheel horsepower.
And it will help the engine rev quicker and you can actually feel it.

I am quoting it on other owners that did the mod only at one time. I went to having no mods to having every mod in the world, so I wouldn't know personally.

Shiner1
06-19-2003, 11:42 AM
I hear ya JD. I was stock on a Friday, by Monday it was a different truck. It seems like the only thing that didn't change was the color.

-- John

L8 APEX
06-19-2003, 03:18 PM
E Fan kit is worth about 10rw on a 4# pulley truck and @2 mpg.

tliss
06-19-2003, 04:33 PM
What they said...^ (no "I'm sith stupid" smileys when you need them).

I don't have the e-fan or water pump yet, but I will someday!

Tom

my2002lightning
06-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

I knew from the get-go (back in '99) WAY before I bought the '02 from researching TALON/F-150online/NLOC, etc that chip/filter/pulley IS the way to go for the first-tier of L mods.

It's just the "fear" of warranty denial/blacklisting with a ~$32K truck that is automatically under THE microscope for mod-work AND that is already a "parts-bin" truck with "issues".

Don't get me wrong! I've auto-xed on-board w/Stan (Ruslow) at Hallet a few times and know what a highly modded L is like.

Thanks again,

Ronald

PS: It's a matter of WHAT and WHEN now... I hope Laney doesn't read this! :d