PDA

View Full Version : You may be held liable....

andy_cain
06-22-2003, 02:39 PM
http://www.newhouse.com/archive/jensen061203.html (http://www.newhouse.com/archive/jensen061203.html)

:eek2:

Wht95Lightning
06-22-2003, 06:26 PM
http://www.newhouse.com/archive/jensen061203.html (http://www.newhouse.com/archive/jensen061203.html)

:eek2:

Well, on one hand, I say beware of BIG brother. On the other hand, I say if this guy was going 114 mph in a 30mph zone and took the lives of two innocent people that he should be on death row.
It's easy to see how this technology can and probably will be abused. Consider the alternative though, if it weren't for the info recovered from the EDR, this guy may have gotten away with Murder.

Bottom line, if people are injured or killed because you're an idiot then you should pay the consequences.

L8 APEX
06-22-2003, 06:30 PM
I don't think L's store that data. Most new GM's do though.. Crime scene investigation is very accurate at determining speed so I would not worry about a guy being able to lie about 30-40 mph:nono:

andy_cain
06-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Some of the OBD's can store data such as daily driving tendacys and may ultametly be used in time to void warrantys on vehicles.:hammer:

Agreeable the driver in this case was going WAY too fast, but on the flip side, the other car DID fail to yeild "right of way"....judgement call again.:confused:

Even my SeaDoo has the ability to record and store top speed reached, avg. speed, and so forth....just imagine what the "Black Box" could be used for in a negative way.....:vomit:

Then again, it is very valuable in events such as accidents:confused:

Shiner1
06-22-2003, 11:52 PM
Just wondering if the PD would need a warrant to collect that bit of information?

-- John

L8 APEX
06-23-2003, 12:00 AM
On a side note a dog owner was found guilty of Murder2 in a case where her dogs mauled a woman to death. The Fed court overtrned it to Man1 and they got 6yrs prison.

Wht95Lightning
06-23-2003, 04:28 AM
Agreeable the driver in this case was going WAY too fast, but on the flip side, the other car DID fail to yeild "right of way"....judgement call again.

At the speed this guy was going, 114 in a 30mph zone, yielding the right of way is a moot point. The girl who pulled out in front of him probably didn't see or hear a thing. She's just dead.

Shiner1
06-23-2003, 06:41 AM
On a side note a dog owner was found guilty of Murder2 in a case where her dogs mauled a woman to death. The Fed court overtrned it to Man1 and they got 6yrs prison. Who got six years, the women or the dogs???:roll

-- John

L8 APEX
06-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Somehow they nailed the wife and husband for knowingly possesing aggressive dogs.

Mark #2
06-23-2003, 09:05 AM
The fact that the dogs were owned by a skinhead in prison for attempted murder of a prosecuting attorney, and that this couple later adopted this guy, probably had nothing to do with the jury's decision. Weird case.

98Cobra
06-23-2003, 09:45 AM
The fact that the dogs were owned by a skinhead in prison for attempted murder of a prosecuting attorney, and that this couple later adopted this guy, probably had nothing to do with the jury's decision. Weird case.

Yes it was.

On the datalogging thing though - scary. I am glad justice was served in this case, but its just an increasing erosion of our privacy. I mean, Ford can already nuke your warranty on a whim, if this becomes the common standard they could void your warranty for going to WOT too many times.

Wht95Lightning
06-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Yes it was.

On the datalogging thing though - scary. I am glad justice was served in this case, but its just an increasing erosion of our privacy. I mean, Ford can already nuke your warranty on a whim, if this becomes the common standard they could void your warranty for going to WOT too many times.

Maybe a cellular link like the NorthStar system GM has. If the pedal goes to the floor often or you continually pull .9 g's in corners your mother in law will be on the line to nag you into oblivion.
:hammer:

Shiner1
06-23-2003, 02:57 PM
This sounds like the Unicard program here in Denton County. Use it too much and the alcohol police come knocking on your door....or the Baptists!!

-- John

andy_cain
06-23-2003, 03:48 PM
This sounds like the Unicard program here in Denton County. Use it too much and the alcohol police come knocking on your door....or the Baptists!!

-- John

Good damn thing they don't have that in Allen...I have (for real) a Unicard Gold with more wear on its magnetic strip than all of my credit cards combined:beer:

Matter o' facto' .... where is my fish bowl margarita:confused:

98Cobra
06-23-2003, 03:50 PM

-- John

You are joking....right?

Moonshine
06-23-2003, 04:25 PM
I mean, Ford can already nuke your warranty on a whim, if this becomes the common standard they could void your warranty for going to WOT too many times.

Not until the owner's manual starts giving instructions on how many times you're allowed to go WOT. It'd sorta' be like voiding your warranty for racing when they invite you to On Track.

Silver_2000
06-23-2003, 05:11 PM
They could easily track your travels and your alcohol consumption with unicard. BUT they could only tell you had one. And in some places you have to show unicard at the door whether you drink or not

Doug

Shiner1
06-24-2003, 07:44 AM
You are joking....right?
Joking about the alcohol police, yes.....not the Baptists. They have a very strong lobby in the state legislature. Every time a proposition comes along to make Denton county completely wet (instead of some areas being dry and some being damp) they thump their bibles, yell about the moral decline of the county and tell the boys and girls in Austin that the teenagers won't drink if they have to drive 2 miles down the road to get booze. Prop. gets defeated everytime. Hence the reason we have the almighty UNICARD that you must show to buy a drink in the bars and restaurants in Denton county.