PDA

View Full Version : Dyno's and IT professionals

dboat
06-23-2003, 04:47 PM
I was watching Horsepower TV yesterday and on their Hot Parts section they mentioned this device..

here is the link to the mini vid of it.. apparently, it plugs into your ALDL port and then to your PDA, then you have an all the time dyno, according to them.. anyone think this is a joke or could it be for real? wonder if you can get those AF ratios on the run?

Dana

link to vid
http://www.nology.com/pdfandzipfiles/dyno320x240.mov

link to website
http://www.nology.com

Oh by the way, turn up your volume before you hit the site.. sounds nice

Crawford
06-23-2003, 09:26 PM
I was watching Horsepower TV yesterday and on their Hot Parts section they mentioned this device..

here is the link to the mini vid of it.. apparently, it plugs into your ALDL port and then to your PDA, then you have an all the time dyno, according to them.. anyone think this is a joke or could it be for real? wonder if you can get those AF ratios on the run?

Dana

link to vid
http://www.nology.com/pdfandzipfiles/dyno320x240.mov

link to website
http://www.nology.com

Oh by the way, turn up your volume before you hit the site.. sounds nice

You need a wideband o2 sensor to get any kind of accurate a/f readings. Sounds like its using the computer to feed the pda the same sort of info that a GTech uses to make its calculations. I would pass on that one. Just drop the $50 on our next dyno day.

By the way... I need to head up to Speedworks in Lewisville one of these days before the Hallsville shootout to get the truck dynoed. Anyone else interested???

dboat
06-23-2003, 09:28 PM
You need a wideband o2 sensor to get any kind of accurate a/f readings. Sounds like its using the computer to feed the pda the same sort of info that a GTech uses to make its calculations. I would pass on that one. Just drop the $50 on our next dyno day.

By the way... I need to head up to Speedworks in Lewisville one of these days before the Hallsville shootout to get the truck dynoed. Anyone else interested???

Me.. I would be very interested.. gotta test the Microtuner

microsuck
06-24-2003, 12:27 PM
it would look hella-cool to have a on-board monitoring system based off a pda. Now if it were only more accurate.................
But for only $50 eah, why not?
Andrew

microsuck
06-24-2003, 12:31 PM
O wait. Its only for the palm os.:bs I need one for pocketpc.:mad:
Andrew

dboat
06-24-2003, 12:33 PM
O wait. Its only for the palm os.:bs I need one for pocketpc.:mad:
Andrew

hey dude, palm os beats the poo out of pocketpc crap...
:hammer:

microsuck
06-24-2003, 01:32 PM
hey dude, palm os beats the poo out of pocketpc crap...
:hammer:
ha, I seriously hope you are joking:roll Otherwise you just lost all respect from me:nono:. I bet you are one of those people that uses the palm desktop software too. Do you even have any handhelds? Well, I have personally owned over 2 palms and 5 pocketpc's, so I consider myself an expert. I support all PDA's at work and I have to favor the pocketpc. Palm is nice because they cost alot less, but I promise once you own a pocket pc you wont be able to go back to palms. Its like choosing between win2k/xp and mac os 4.2. :crying: The functionality just dosent compare.
Andrew

Oops, looks like I got my flame on inadvertantly:eek2: my bad, none intended.:burnout:

andy_cain
06-24-2003, 01:54 PM
They do not have the adaptor cable yet...I talked to them today about setting it up for my HP Jornada series...they are "in the works":beer:

dboat
06-24-2003, 03:22 PM
ha, I seriously hope you are joking:roll Otherwise you just lost all respect from me:nono:. I bet you are one of those people that uses the palm desktop software too. Do you even have any handhelds? Well, I have personally owned over 2 palms and 5 pocketpc's, so I consider myself an expert. I support all PDA's at work and I have to favor the pocketpc. Palm is nice because they cost alot less, but I promise once you own a pocket pc you wont be able to go back to palms. Its like choosing between win2k/xp and mac os 4.2. :crying: The functionality just dosent compare.
Andrew

Oops, looks like I got my flame on inadvertantly:eek2: my bad, none intended.:burnout:

well you have me on this one.. I have a Visor Platinum.. love the thing, your orientation is from a corporate standpoint. For a single user, the biggest upside to Palm OS is that the applications rarely cost over $25, and usually you can get them for free. My only experience with Pocket PC type of devices was a couple of years ago and they were dreadfully slow.. and I mean really slow, whereas the software runs pretty fast on a Palm device. Again, most of what I use it for is for personal stuff. When I last looked, the amount of software available for the Palm devices greatly outnumbered the pocketpc stuff, maybe that has changed. The cost for a Palm device has been much lower as well.
I have hit the wall in my knowledge of this stuff now.. my head hurts:tongue:. But we know your soft spot now:evil.
Dana

microsuck
06-24-2003, 03:46 PM
Yeah, you make sense. I treat mine like another computer, not an organizer. I watch movies and and play 3D games on mine. I have one of the 400mhz ipaq's with the onboard 32mb rom 64mb ram, and I have a 512mb SD mem card in it. I can fit almost as much stuff on my PDA as you could on a CD. How much space do palms come with these days? The only 400mhz palm with 64mb costs the same as an ipaq (~$500). Their average models are still at 16mb. I am just one of those junkies that needs way more space than 99.9% of the world. As of now there is almost the same ammount of software for each breed. The palm software is much eaiser to code because it is just one file kind of like most dos-based applications. When you get a new software app, you dont install it. its just a exe that runs they are an 8 bit OS. the pocket pc applications are all 32bit and use a completely different cpu architecture, (new palms are starting to do this too), therefore pocket pc apps are very difficult to code and as a result are far more complex/functional. I am in a pocket pc game programming class in college and it is uber-hard. But yes, a palm is much more practical for the average user. However, a civic is much more practical to get to work in. So dboat, you have got me confused.............
Andrew

Silver_2000
06-24-2003, 04:02 PM
Yeah, you make sense. I treat mine like another computer, not an organizer. I watch movies and and play 3D games on mine. I have one of the 400mhz ipaq's with the onboard 32mb rom 64mb ram, and I have a 512mb SD mem card in it. I can fit almost as much stuff on my PDA as you could on a CD. How much space do palms come with these days? The only 400mhz palm with 64mb costs the same as an ipaq (~$500). Their average models are still at 16mb. I am just one of those junkies that needs way more space than 99.9% of the

~~~~Andrew

Andrew
The average Pocket PC user and the average Palm user doesnt have 2 grand in accessories and stuff for thiers and doesnt use it for 3d games.

The palm OS is more reliable -easier to use- and is better suited for what PDAs were designed for which is portable contact managers for Sales types

Doug

microsuck
06-24-2003, 04:10 PM
lets not forget that bill gates once said a "computer will never need more than 340k of ram". To require more from a device than it was ever intended to give is the american way.

:D
Andrew

Mark #2
06-24-2003, 04:20 PM
Crawford,
I would like to get A/F without a chip, and with the new HP spacer.:)
Mark

dboat
06-24-2003, 04:25 PM
Andrew,
I think most palm stuff this day is either 16 or 32 mb. Having said that, I have an older Visor device that had a port where I could add a memory card, like those in cameras to act like another drive. The max memory on those cards is either 512m or 1g. So I could load one of those up if I wanted to.
The devices are really intended for different audiences, however, I still like what I have and its cost and versatility. Most of the apps you can download for the Palm device are written by folks like yourself and are very specific in what they do for the end user.. There has not been great movement made in processor speed or in changes in the OS so that even old Palm Pilots are still being used and at a fairly good clip.. meaning that your investment works for you longer.. my wife loved playing games on her Visor until the battery went out. We no longer buy items where the rechargeable batteries cant be replaced easily.. tools included..

Dana

andy_cain
06-24-2003, 04:57 PM
lets not forget that bill gates once said a "computer will never need more than 340k of ram". To require more from a device than it was ever intended to give is the american way.

:D
Andrew

MMMM, I think he actually said "640K" either way....he undershot it big time:throw:.

Bill has a sweet a$$ Porsche 959 that has been tied up in customs like forever now trying to import it to the U.S.
With his money, he probly doesn't remember that small million sitting there...wonder what he drives:confused: if he drives.

andy_cain
06-24-2003, 05:02 PM
Dboat:
i have the HP Jornada with a 512 in it now, also have the modem that fits in it and a 10 base eathernet card for it....I live by mine.
Built in MP3 player, Word, Excel, Power Point, Pac Man, Outlook, street maps, recorder built in.....in fact, they even make a card for it that will let you plug a monitor into the card in the expansion slot and give presentations via Power Point directly from the HP.:D

Mine has the 32K built in and cradles via USB or serial. 16 bit color:d

Natetrun
06-24-2003, 05:45 PM
GEEKS!! :tongue:

edit: I used to be a network / computer tech, but I saw the light. We are very replaceable.

dboat
06-24-2003, 05:58 PM
Dboat:
i have the HP Jornada with a 512 in it now, also have the modem that fits in it and a 10 base eathernet card for it....I live by mine.
Built in MP3 player, Word, Excel, Power Point, Pac Man, Outlook, street maps, recorder built in.....in fact, they even make a card for it that will let you plug a monitor into the card in the expansion slot and give presentations via Power Point directly from the HP.:D

Mine has the 32K built in and cradles via USB or serial. 16 bit color:d

Holy Crap :eek2:

well I am behind the curve on these things... but I still get along with mine..
Nate,
good people are not that replaceable, irrespective of the type of job they perform.. as a manager for over 18 yrs... I know this as a fact.
Dana

Natetrun
06-25-2003, 08:36 AM
Holy Crap :eek2:

well I am behind the curve on these things... but I still get along with mine..
Nate,
good people are not that replaceable, irrespective of the type of job they perform.. as a manager for over 18 yrs... I know this as a fact.
Dana
people can learn what you know and perform it just as well. no job security in IT. My oppinion only.

microsuck
06-25-2003, 08:43 AM
GEEKS!! :tongue:

edit: I used to be a network / computer tech, but I saw the light. We are very replaceable.
only if you are retarded and don't know it...........

Silver_2000
06-25-2003, 09:07 AM
people can learn what you know and perform it just as well. no job security in IT. My oppinion only.
Yep - people can learn what you know - After all you did....

BUT there are not that many people who can communicate well on a technical level AND think logically through a problem.

At least thats why I think I have dodged 15 or more rounds of layoffs...

people can learn what you know and perform it just as well.

Nate - tell me what job there is where that isnt true ? Unless you have a unique kind of blood and the red cross is willing to buy it from you you are replaceable. Like any other business issue it is about the barriers to entry. If the product you are selling or the service you are providing is the same as what anyone else can do quickly and easily ( no barrier to entry ) then you are in trouble.

Doug

microsuck
06-25-2003, 09:27 AM
wow, talk about hitting the nail right on the head! Tru dat Doug, snatched them right out of my mouth.
Andrew

Natetrun
06-25-2003, 03:30 PM
As I said, my oppinion only. Besides, I got tired of "my wee wee is bigger than yours, let me show you." Hrmmm, I got tired of saying, maybe we can figure out this problem together. "I went and got a Novell cert and I'm better now." Thats great, you still have problems addressing the same issues on an OS that will die like Dinosaurs. I'm refering to what I felt in my department only. I felt like, hey, more and more people are learning what I know (Windows networking,nt, etc) , saturating the job market,can't get a job because everyone is going to ITT. Thats true with alot of jobs, but it seems there is never enough room for techs and their wee wees. It's always " I'm the big kid on the block, move out". I found theres more to life than stupid idiots that have wee wee problems. I didn't have any certs, the trade was handed down to me from my dad (the Oracle DBA for International Paper) and books.Nothing like someone that couldn't tie their shoe lace come in with a few certs and have to be baby sitted because they didn't have any field experience.I worked on a farm for a year and a half, and never thought twice about working on computers again.

As I said, my oppinion only. My personal experiences with ego's have left a bitter taste in my mouth. end of story ;)

Silver_2000
06-25-2003, 04:01 PM
As I said, my oppinion only. Besides, I got tired of "my wee wee is bigger than yours, let me show you." Hrmmm, I got tired of saying, maybe we can figure out this problem together. "I went and got a Novell cert and I'm better now." Thats great, you still have problems addressing the same issues on an OS that will die like Dinosaurs. I'm refering to what I felt in my department only. I felt like, hey, more and more people are learning what I know (Windows networking,nt, etc) , saturating the job market,can't get a job because everyone is going to ITT. Thats true with alot of jobs, but it seems there is never enough room for techs and their wee wees. It's always " I'm the big kid on the block, move out". I found theres more to life than stupid idiots that have wee wee problems. I didn't have any certs, the trade was handed down to me from my dad (the Oracle DBA for International Paper) and books.Nothing like someone that couldn't tie their shoe lace come in with a few certs and have to be baby sitted because they didn't have any field experience.I worked on a farm for a year and a half, and never thought twice about working on computers again.

As I said, my oppinion only. My personal experiences with ego's have left a bitter taste in my mouth. end of story ;)

Everyone has had similar expereinces

The good thing is MOST of the paper MCSE's and other idiots get washed out back to Burger King, where they came from.
Just because you can memorize facts and regurgitate them on the test doesnt mean you can do the work
The folks that can actually do the work and think thier way out of a paper bag typically ( not always ) get to keep thier jobs.

Doug

Natetrun
06-25-2003, 04:16 PM
I agree and now that I think about it, The person I was thinking of with the Novell certs had to choose a different career field. I'm glad i found that job isn't for me. I actually loved it, but like i said the not so enjoyable fellow techs.

dboat
06-25-2003, 04:38 PM
I agree and now that I think about it, The person I was thinking of with the Novell certs had to chose a different career field. I'm glad i found that job isn't for me. I actually loved it, but like i said the not so enjoyable fellow techs.

Nate, I have had to deal with crappy people at every job I have held.. maybe you have found Nirvana somewhere, but I havent seen it yet at any place I have been.. good luck

Natetrun
06-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Nate, I have had to deal with crappy people at every job I have held.. maybe you have found Nirvana somewhere, but I havent seen it yet at any place I have been.. good luck

:beer: