PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Kit - REM

True Blue Aggie
07-01-2003, 12:37 PM
Anyone on here have the REM Cold Air kit on their truck? So far, from shopping around all the different supporting vendors and checking out the reviews on these kits, this product seems the way to go. Anyone here know any different?

Logan
07-01-2003, 01:31 PM
I'm going with the Volant cold air kit. Damn near everything else sucks hot air from the engine compartment.

http://www.volantperformance.com/Images/Parts_truck/19955/19955.jpg
http://www.volantperformance.com/Products/vtrucklist_files/19955/19955.htm

blueoval01
07-01-2003, 04:53 PM
I'm going with the Volant cold air kit. Damn near everything else sucks hot air from the engine compartment.

http://www.volantperformance.com/Images/Parts_truck/19955/19955.jpg
http://www.volantperformance.com/Products/vtrucklist_files/19955/19955.htm
Humm, me likey :D

blueoval01
07-01-2003, 07:06 PM
Logan,
I've seen different scenerios of the same kinda setup, but this one looks best of all.
Does it feed from the default opening in the wheel well?
Do you have to run any intake up to it from the lower front cowl?

TIA

diablolightning
07-01-2003, 07:10 PM
I saw that cold air on a lightning in trukin mag. I was dynoed at 280hp stock:hammer: and after a 10in:confused: pulley and some other mods it dynoed at 363hp:hammer: I think that truck was broken. The intake looks cool though.:tu:

did anyone else see the mag??
Miguel

Logan
07-01-2003, 07:11 PM
It seals against the factory wheel well opening, yes. Inside the box is a 9" conical high flow filter.

Boosted32v recommended it, he's got one on his L and apparently the fit and finish is awesome.

No ducting from below, so it's not a ram air setup, just a cold air setup.

blueoval01
07-01-2003, 07:33 PM
It seals against the factory wheel well opening, yes. Inside the box is a 9" conical high flow filter.

Boosted32v recommended it, he's got one on his L and apparently the fit and finish is awesome.

No ducting from below, so it's not a ram air setup, just a cold air setup.
You gonna go with a single blade TB? Or did DH already have one put on?

Logan
07-01-2003, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I'll probably get a Single blade TB shortly. Just figuring out ways to distribute the mod buying around so the wife won't notice... :) Hard to do when everything ya do is $300+

True Blue Aggie
07-01-2003, 08:35 PM
Anyone know where the best price for the Volant can be found? So far I have seen in the 275 range...

L8 APEX
07-01-2003, 08:59 PM
That sure looks spiffy but it works like POOH, better off with a K&N drop in for $35 bucks. Plus nobody can hear the blower. Some things are better kept simple:tu:

blueoval01
07-01-2003, 09:26 PM
That sure looks spiffy but it works like POOH, better off with a K&N drop in for $35 bucks. Plus nobody can hear the blower. Some things are better kept simple:tu:
Hummm, ya think? I know the KISS principle. But, at the same time it makes sense to draw air from anywhere else than from under the hood.
Am i wrong? :confused:

dboat
07-01-2003, 10:05 PM

He's right.. go with a PSP unit.. good air and good sound.. your underhood air is ambient temp in a sec or two after you get going..:twitch:

True Blue Aggie
07-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Well....I think I have decided to go with the REM unit. Easy install, open filter, and a nice touch to the smooth intake. Yes "pretty" costs money, but I am trying to make this truck run fast ...and look good, in that order.

my2002lightning
07-01-2003, 11:49 PM
Tru Blu,

Give this a once-over... http://www.chikenearsengineering.com/boltons.htm

I have his 12" PowerStack running mine and it screams! It's a night/day difference from the stock air-box! I'm just thinking that your going to "breathing" though that TINY hole w/that setup ...

Whereas this design flows ~40% more air through the S/C.

Something to think about...

See you Thu.!

Ronald

L8 APEX
07-02-2003, 12:30 AM
Those are the universal cheapo filter kits. That aluminum mounting ring chews on the filter over time. It is fixed to the fender so it does not move with the engine torque. Oh yeah don't forget the piece of 4" plumber's pipe insulation to make it a "cold air" kit:roll

my2002lightning
07-02-2003, 12:47 AM
And your offering is better how?

I took that cold air "fender" piece off from the get-go and am looking for a better replacement.

Have any airflow #s for your unit?

Thanks...

:roll

L8 APEX
07-02-2003, 07:50 AM
And your offering is better how?

I took that cold air "fender" piece off from the get-go and am looking for a better replacement.

Have any airflow #s for your unit?

Thanks...

:roll
Mine uses a powdercoated mounting bracket that mounts to the engine and MAF so they move together very clean very simple.
As for flow #'s it outflows the stock intake and TB by about 300% so it is not the restriction in the intake system.:tu:

Logan
07-02-2003, 08:04 AM
The cover is removable, converting it to the traditional open element design. Best of both worlds I say.

L8 APEX
07-02-2003, 08:13 AM
The cover is removable, converting it to the traditional open element design. Best of both worlds I say.
No, dating a girl with two different size boobies is the best of both worlds:eek2:

Logan
07-02-2003, 09:03 AM
You're weird Terry. In a good way though...I think...

David N
07-02-2003, 10:20 AM
No, dating a girl with two different size boobies is the best of both worlds:eek2:

Terry,

you must be working tooo long on your TRANNY to have those thoughts...LOL

QIK KAT
07-02-2003, 12:41 PM
All i have is a k&n airraid box with a open end filter. Big deal rite......?Well all i did was go to ace hardware got some 3in. vac hose a pvc elbow and a chrome tip that starts from the open end runs through the fender down to a oval shaped rubber air catcher thats attached to the bottom of the bumper. You barly notice its there. All for about 15 dollars. Looks great under the hood. works great to.

Mark #2
07-02-2003, 02:57 PM
All i have is a k&n airraid box with a open end filter. Big deal rite......?Well all i did was go to ace hardware got some 3in. vac hose a pvc elbow and a chrome tip that starts from the open end runs through the fender down to a oval shaped rubber air catcher thats attached to the bottom of the bumper. You barly notice its there. All for about 15 dollars. Looks great under the hood. works great to.
Any pictures? I have an Airraid box too and was looking around the depot the other day for cold air ideas.

dboat
07-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Not to be a $marta$$ but that air is pretty cold coming off of the asphalt these days... I just dont think there is a good solution to this except changing the filter in your box and drilling holes in the bottom of the box or putting on a big cone filter (ala PSP) and going that direction..

just my .02
Dana

my2002lightning
07-02-2003, 11:04 PM
Terry,

Let's see some actual details/pics/#s of your air intake setup. Magnaflow/hi-flow cat setups too.

I'll be at BD's tomorrow.

Ronald

tliss
07-03-2003, 06:15 AM
You can take a look at my setup if you want. I've got the 12" filter kit with the PSP FastAir box and cold air intake set up. I can't be specific on gains due to the cold air set up, but mind you the air outside the engine compartment is cold in comparison to the air inside. Just ideas.

Tom

dboat
07-03-2003, 08:17 AM
Ronald,
I have Terry's setup on my truck and you can see it at BD's..

QIK KAT
07-03-2003, 11:06 AM
Well i guess its just differant stroks for differant folks:bs
Why dont we just call it a hot air intake for the next 3 mo. .Come november the ground will be cold agian. And we can go back to calling it a cold air intake. And ill be back to 13lbs of boost:D.Ill put up some pics of my turbo intake later.

Logan
07-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Kill em all.

QIK KAT
07-04-2003, 04:28 PM
killjoy!

TxBolt
07-04-2003, 05:24 PM
I have the REM cold air kit you can see it at the next meeting. I'm kinda fond of mine!:burnout:

QIK KAT
07-04-2003, 05:43 PM
Happy 4th all you lightning owners:beer: