PDA

View Full Version : Towing???

jmlay
07-15-2003, 11:55 AM
Tonight I am going to pickup a Kit car rolling chassi for a friend. I picked up the trailer this morning and am having a bit of trouble with the turn sigs. When I turn on the the left sigit flashes on the trailer and truck, faint on the trailer, also on the trailer ant the truck I see the right sig flashing also very faint on both... All is well without the trailer plugged in.

Some data to ponder:

- Trailer has a 6 pin plug that includes leads for a break controller, I have one.

- Using an adapter to conver the L's 7pin, that includes Aux/power, to the 6 pin, does not use Aux/Power.

The guy I borrowed ther trailer from used this same setup to tow it to work and all was well until I hooked to the L. He has a 7 pin and uses the converter to 6 no problem.

I have towed with it before but used the 4 pin for lights only, all was fine. I know on the last 2 F-150's i had to add a relay for the break controller to work. Do not think that I have to do this now as they have it included, read already plugged in.

Any thoughts???

Thanks,
Mike

TXBLU
07-15-2003, 12:42 PM
Mine came with a relay and a pig-tail for a brake controller. I run a Wells Cargo 12' box traier with electric brakes. I followed the instructions for wiring the controller, and pluged it in. It even charges the trailer battery for the breakeaway brake switch and interior lights. Lights and brakes worked perfect from day one. Sounds like you might need the ralay (or maybe it's just for the trailer power) or your truck wiring is messed up somehow. The other possibility is that the other guys truck and trailer are wired incorrectly. Use a battery and some jumpers to test the trailer lights, then check for power at the correct terminals of your truck's connector with a test light. You should be able to find the problem fairly quickly.

Hope that helps. :tu:

jmlay
07-15-2003, 01:15 PM
I am getting old, ripe old age of 32 now, and can't remember what I thought I knew. :hammer:

I could have gone eather way on the relay... I have not even opened the bag that came with the inside harness, still have the one for my last truck. Will dig it out when I get home.

Thanks for the info!!!

Mike
:beer:

TXBLU
07-16-2003, 03:48 PM
So, how'd it go? Did you get it all sorted out? Hope so.:tu:

jmlay
07-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Yep sure did. It was the relays. I swapped a few around and but could not get it to work. When I got home I went to the garage and found the towing package instructions, and relays in the tool box.

When I left work today I found another set in the glove box, if I had know that I would have slapped them yesterday when testing.

Any who the Cobra kit is home safe.

THanks for the rep.

Mike