PDA

View Full Version : Ticking sound?

SILVER2000SVT
07-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Well, it's now a week and a half since my 00's warranty ran out of its 36 months and it has developed a ticking sound. It's kinda hard to pin point but it sounds like it may be coming from an injector, around #5 or #6 cylinder. Does this sound likely or has anybody else ever had this problem?

Another question, do the autometer air/fuel gauges really work? If so, do you just have them read one exhaust bank (left or right)?

blueoval01
07-28-2003, 04:38 PM
Well, it's now a week and a half since my 00's warranty ran out of its 36 months and it has developed a ticking sound. It's kinda hard to pin point but it sounds like it may be coming from an injector, around #5 or #6 cylinder. Does this sound likely or has anybody else ever had this problem?
Checked your plugs lately? Almost sounds like one or two might have started to back out ...... :hammer:

SILVER2000SVT
07-28-2003, 04:53 PM
ugh...that would suck! I've heard the horror stories on here about plugs blowing out.

I'll check for that in the next couple of days.

bobbywade69
07-28-2003, 05:24 PM
I Have A 00 Also And It Makes A Ticking Noise Around The Same Area I Had The Dealer Ship Check The Plugs But They Were Ok They Said It Was #5 And #6 Injector Making The Noise. Thought Maybe This Would Help.

Alpine
07-28-2003, 06:08 PM
I Have A 00 Also And It Makes A Ticking Noise Around The Same Area I Had The Dealer Ship Check The Plugs But They Were Ok They Said It Was #5 And #6 Injector Making The Noise. Thought Maybe This Would Help. Sorry, I clicked on the wrong quote.....Jason,When mine started making a ticking noise, a week later my spark plug blew out:hammer:. It wont hurt to check your plugs. I would do it a.s.a.p. unless you have an extra $2500.00 dollars lying around:(.

SILVER2000SVT
07-28-2003, 06:36 PM
I looked at it a little closer and it really sounds like is coming from the injectors. I just unplugged #5 & #6 injectors and coil packs and it still makes the noise. will it still tick if the the spark plug isn't firing? I'm going to let it cool down for a few minutes so I can check the plugs.

SILVER2000SVT
07-29-2003, 08:14 AM
I managed to check a couple of the plugs and they are tight. I started unplugging the coil packs and injector wires and the ticking seemed to decrease but only went away completely when I unplugged the whole right side. After about 45 min and a few burnt fingers later I leaning toward this being an exhaust leak. It does seem to be a little louder if I crawl under the motor. But I still can't tell where it is coming from. :hammer:

dboat
07-29-2003, 08:21 AM
I managed to check a couple of the plugs and they are tight. I started unplugging the coil packs and injector wires and the ticking seemed to decrease but only went away completely when I unplugged the whole right side. After about 45 min and a few burnt fingers later I leaning toward this being an exhaust leak. It does seem to be a little louder if I crawl under the motor. But I still can't tell where it is coming from. :hammer:

My advice to you is to take it to Terry.:D

SILVER2000SVT
07-30-2003, 10:01 PM
The good news is that I found the ticking sound

The bad news is that it was the #8 spark plug, the one I didn't check the other night because it sounded more like it was coming from 5 or 6 and because I didn't feel like getting in there to check it. What a screw-up on my part!:hammer: It ended up leaving me on the side of Hwy 360 this evening.

I had it towed back to my house, and I am working on putting it back to stock in the hopes they might still cover it under the warranty that ran out almost 2 weeks ago. I called Texan Ford and asked if there was anyway they might cover that under warranty and he told me they might as long as there weren't any chips or pulleys installed.:( He went on to tell me that they always know if a chip has been in because it throws an internal code. The last time I just unplugged the actual harness from the computer for a couple of hours and it never showed up. So I guess I'll see what happens. He also told me even if they cover it under warranty that there might be some sort of "ductible" fee. Whats up with that, and how much will it be because I don't have any sort of extended warranty with a ductible in the contract. I'm thinking that's his pocket money for slipping this in under warranty. I wouldn't care though, it would beat the heck out of fixing it myself if I don't have to. BTW, can you pull a head without pulling the motor?...just curious

One interesting thing though. I was standing out on the side of the road for about an hour waiting on the tow truck. After the first half hour I went back and sat in my truck and listened to the radio, and this car pulled up behind me. I figured they were just going to see if I needed help. Well out popped this tall slender blonde wearing this tiny shirt and really short cut off shorts. She walked up to my window and said she was just checking to see if I needed a cell phone or any help. I said "no thanks but I really appreciate you stopping". Well she went back to sit her kid back down in the car (the bad part) then came back up to my window and handed me her phone number(s) and said to call her and let her know that I made it home. Pretty cool huh????

L8 APEX
07-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Looking for a Daddy with a L:roll Anyway, they know there was a chip because the PCM contacts are scraped. Yes they will do the job in the truck. The deal most guys have gotten was $500 bucks or 25% of the repair bill. Get with Alpine and see who he used because that is the same deal he went through.

SILVER2000SVT
08-04-2003, 12:33 PM
I managed to get my truck in the shop Saturday. The service writer at Texan Ford called me this morning and told me the head was shot and couldn't be fixed. The good news is that they said they would replace the one head and it will only cost me $200. :banana: