PDA

View Full Version : Which Lower Pulley to get?

SILVER2000SVT
08-13-2003, 01:07 PM
I am looking to replace my +4lbs JDM pulley with cage for one that uses the three bolts going off of some of your suggestions.

Are there any brands that I should stay away from?
Other than the JDM:hammer:

Are there any better prices or different brands than what I have found so far?

I figure I will get the tranny lock tool this time too because cramming a crowbar in the flywheel every time is a pain.

Here are the ones I have found so far:

Terry's as listed on website: $250 w/belt

Metco sold by JDM: $259

PSP: $200 pulley only + $20 for tool + $20 for belt = $240
(the picture is same as Terry's so I assume the same brand)

JL's: $235 w/belt and probably tool (I'm checking on the tool)

I found another one, but I need help figuring out what they mean (is part of this kit an upper pulley too)?:

ASP: two pulley kit +3 & +5 lbs with hub for $230 from a place here in arlington

Silver_2000
08-13-2003, 01:17 PM
I would go with Terry's

He has the most interaction with various types of pulleys...

I dont know if you will find anyone here he has steered wrong

Doug

andy_cain
08-13-2003, 02:03 PM
PSP :tu:

cpeapea
08-13-2003, 02:10 PM
i think most of the cageless designs are the same, i say go with terrys just cuz hes our local

SILVER2000SVT
08-13-2003, 02:16 PM
The picture on Terry's site is the same as on PSP's, are they the same brand?

Does Terry's include the the Tranny lock up tool?

If so the price would come out close to the PSP after shipping if I didn't have to pay tax or shipping with Terry.

andy_cain
08-13-2003, 02:25 PM
The picture on Terry's site is the same as on PSP's, are they the same brand?

Does Terry's include the the Tranny lock up tool?

If so the price would come out close to the PSP after shipping if I didn't have to pay tax or shipping with Terry.

Same part, tools are extra but between the group we have several "Loaners".
You would need to give Terry a shout on the cost, I think it was cheaper to buy mine a year ago through Terry than it was through PSP:tu:

SILVER2000SVT
08-13-2003, 03:38 PM
I found another one, but I need help figuring out what they mean (is part of this kit an upper pulley too)?:

ASP: two pulley kit +3 & +5 lbs with hub for $230 from a place here in arlington

I didn't get a good description from the guy that told me this.

Does anybody know what this ASP kit is?

Sixpipes
08-13-2003, 04:35 PM
I have a PSP. I'm not sure why, but I have never been comfortable with the ASP brand. Maybe it's because I gut stung by an ASP when I was a kid. Not really sure, but correct me if I'm wrong; if you were looking for an ASP pulley in Australia, you actually would be looking for a PSA. In Australia a PSP pulley would still be listed as a PSP. I think it is that kind of solid marketing strategy that convinced me to go PSP. Maybe I'm totally wrong about this, but can you name me another pulley brand that can say that. I know this probably doesn't help you with your choice, but my reason is as good as anyone's I've heard so far. :cool:

02BOLT
08-13-2003, 05:20 PM
It would be wise to give Terry a call. He usually keeps them in stock and his prices are ALWAYS consistent. I believe the PSP pulleys are made by ASP. I could be wrong, but I'm positive they are at least a very similar design. Good Luck.....gettin the JDM pulley off:d!

jmlay
08-13-2003, 06:28 PM
I would not wory about the lockup tool. YOu can go to Home Depot and get a piece of steel and make your own for a couple of bucks.

Mike Lay

dboat
08-13-2003, 07:43 PM
I have a PSP. I'm not sure why, but I have never been comfortable with the ASP brand. Maybe it's because I gut stung by an ASP when I was a kid. Not really sure, but correct me if I'm wrong; if you were looking for an ASP pulley in Australia, you actually would be looking for a PSA. In Australia a PSP pulley would still be listed as a PSP. I think it is that kind of solid marketing strategy that convinced me to go PSP. Maybe I'm totally wrong about this, but can you name me another pulley brand that can say that. I know this probably doesn't help you with your choice, but my reason is as good as anyone's I've heard so far. :cool:

I just want you to know that I am totally on board with this train of thought... :tu:

my2002lightning
08-13-2003, 11:14 PM
Dennis,

Just don't let one of those ASPs bite you on the t#ttie like they did Cleopatra!

You MIGHT not make the next TALON meet.:eek2:

L8 APEX
08-13-2003, 11:25 PM
Dennis,

Just don't let one of those ASPs bite you on the t#ttie like they did Cleopatra!

You MIGHT not make the next TALON meet.:eek2:The 00's take a slightly different pulley with a touch smaller center diameter (hub centric). I will see if I can get one tomorrow. You can run a late model 01-up pulley with no problems though. I have the new style 4#, belt and you can borrow my tool for $200

microsuck
08-14-2003, 11:49 AM
rpmoutlet.com sells them with these prices.
4# $148.95
6# $158.95
8# $168.95
but that is without the belt, or shipping
andrew

SILVER2000SVT
08-14-2003, 12:21 PM
I saw those yesterday. Those are pretty good prices! I have a buddy here in arlington that can get the two upper pulley kit they are selling at rpmoutlet.com for $338 for $230. I wonder what they could get the lower pulley for if rpmoutlet is selling them for $148, the only problem is they have to order it and they tend to drag their feet on special orders.

Terry says that his are the ASP's as well, the one he's selling for $200 and he provides the belt. He said he was going to check availability on the 99-00 pulley because he only has the one for 01-up in stock.

Moonshine
08-14-2003, 01:52 PM

Max, what have you done with our Dennis? :eek2:

Sixpipes
08-15-2003, 08:49 AM
Max, what have you done with our Dennis? :eek2:

Looks like I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue. :cool:

Mark #2
08-15-2003, 09:40 PM
Looks like I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue. :cool:
Ah, a quote from a classic...movie that is.
Mark