PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie here

WS6/SVT
09-10-2003, 12:37 PM
been looking over this site for a while and it has made a life-changing effect on me. i've been a gm man my whole life and have decided it's time to try something new. I will be buying a lightning within the next couple of months and was wondering what the biggest issues are in buying one. I've heard all about the spark plug thread problem and was told that as long as it was manufactured after nov. 2002 that the prob would be fixed. is this correct? also, what is a good price on a brand new L and where is the best place in Texas to buy one? thanks in advance for all your help and this site is truly awesome. :banana:

Crawford
09-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Welcome to the site!

Best thing to do in my opinion is to get on the Ford website and use the dealership finder tool to track down all the Ford SVT dealerships in your area. Call all of them to see what kind of deal they are offering. I think it changes from week to week on which dealership is giving out good deals. Dont be afraid to go out of state.

Call North Central Ford and ask for David Wilmoth, tell him Sam Cooper sent you. He gave me and a couple others pretty good deals a while back, I talk to him every now and then, he is a very cool and non salesman like guy... its a good place to start.

You should be able to get an 03 for around 30k I believe.

Good luck!

Sixpipes
09-10-2003, 12:49 PM
been looking over this site for a while and it has made a life-changing effect on me. i've been a gm man my whole life and have decided it's time to try something new. I will be buying a lightning within the next couple of months and was wondering what the biggest issues are in buying one. I've heard all about the spark plug thread problem and was told that as long as it was manufactured after nov. 2002 that the prob would be fixed. is this correct? also, what is a good price on a brand new L and where is the best place in Texas to buy one? thanks in advance for all your help and this site is truly awesome. :banana:
Man, way out in Andrews, heh? Welcome to the board. Word of advise, if you are buying a used Lightning, considering trying to find a low mileage 99. :cool:

WS6/SVT
09-10-2003, 12:59 PM
think i'm gonna go new on this one (had some bad experiences on a used WS6). I was looking around arlington last weekend and saw the new Dard Shadow Grey and fell in love. :twitch: got no problems driving to just about anywhere, but i figured there were some good deals in the DFW area.

microsuck
09-10-2003, 01:08 PM
still got that ws6? I might be willing to trade you for my truck. at least on a trial basis or something. The biggest downfall in my opinion is the 500 hp limit. that sucks, because that is where i am and if I want to go any higher I have to fork out 3-4 grand for motor work. also warranty issues suck. Welcome to the site!
Andrew

tliss
09-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the board. One word of caution: these trucks come with a slight sickness. It's called "motor city mod virus", and things like "dissapearing fundage" and "excessive HP" come into play.

Have fun.

Tom

WS6/SVT
09-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Welcome to the board. One word of caution: these trucks come with a slight sickness. It's called "motor city mod virus", and things like "dissapearing fundage" and "excessive HP" come into play.

LOL... wish some1 would have told me that trans am's had the same sickness before i blew all my money on it.

still got that ws6? I might be willing to trade you for my truck. at least on a trial basis or something. The biggest downfall in my opinion is the 500 hp limit. that sucks, because that is where i am and if I want to go any higher I have to fork out 3-4 grand for motor work. also warranty issues suck. Welcome to the site!

Still got the ws6, but not really interested in getting into the same situation on buying a used/modified vehicle again... cost me more to keep it running than it would've to build it up myself.

L8 APEX
09-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Not really interested in getting into the same situation on buying a used/modified vehicle again... cost me more to keep it running than it would've to build it up myself.
I think the general rule is there are some great used values out there. I don't know what you stepped in on the WS6 but there are soem solid used L's out there like Waynes. 37K miles, 11 second garage queen for 23K asking. Stereo, body, motor, NOS, I dare you to build that for 23K. We are saying 99-00 L because they are tougher than the new ones and not known for launching rods or plugs near as much as newer trucks.:tu:

microsuck
09-10-2003, 04:59 PM
I dare you to build that for 23K.
tru dat:)

WS6/SVT
09-11-2003, 06:47 PM
so is what i heard not true about the 03's? a guy that ownes an 02 said that ford fixed the plug prob in nov of 02.

L8 APEX
09-11-2003, 06:52 PM
They may have added threads to the heads I have not seen a set. Fact is 99's are the best L's built to date. They make the most power with the least problems. 01-02's have blown the most engines, plugs, and trannies. That may have something to do with those owners to a point:hammer:

Silver_2000
09-11-2003, 06:54 PM
They may have added threads to the heads I have not seen a set. Fact is 99's are the best L's built to date. They make the most power with the least problems. 01-02's have blown the most engines, plugs, and trannies. That may have something to do with those owners to a point:hammer:

And the 2000's are the fastest ... :nana2:banana:

andy_cain
09-11-2003, 08:11 PM
And the 2000's are the fastest ...

Can someone please hand Doug a bag of "Sanity" to snack on...:banana:.:nana2:nana2

Mark #2
09-11-2003, 08:55 PM
And the 2000's are the fastest ... :nana2:banana:
Only if they are Silver.:)
The 99-00 are the best, and Wayne's truck is a good deal.
I have a Silver 2000 that has the lowest miles and best "tuner" IMHO working on it, just in case you want to make me an offer.:beer:

WS6/SVT
09-12-2003, 06:41 PM
so Mark #2, are you selling your's cause i originally wanted silver or white. if so, what's all done to it?

Mark #2
09-12-2003, 09:31 PM
so Mark #2, are you selling your's cause i originally wanted silver or white. if so, what's all done to it?
Well.... everything is for sale for a price, except the SO of course, seriously though I'm not really interested in selling, but if you really want it....it is one of the better 2000's.
You need to buy Wayne's truck unless you really want a silver. See the best times thread for what my truck has in it. Buy Wayne's truck or make me a very good offer. I've been thinking of Z06 alot lately.

Mark

Boosted32v
09-13-2003, 10:06 AM
Welcome to the site, I have a 02 'L and have almost 25k miles on it and no problems. I have all the basic bolt-ons and I am about to put in a cat-back, Valvebody and I will be done with the mods. It made 400hp and 500tq:tu: I have also beat MANY sports cars including C-5 vettes, LS1 F-bods, hell I even beat a 98 Cobra with a blower (450hp&375tq) the Cobra was whipped at the track and I had the Goodyear F1's on it :eek2: All the mods I have done to it can all be easily removed for warranty work, but it runs like a charm...'Henry