PDA

View Full Version : How not to install a KB

L8 APEX
10-14-2003, 08:36 PM
I was brought a Lightning to straighten out after another local shop had installed a lot of mods including a KB. The truck was taken back to the other shop a few times to try and fix the problems. The boost gauge didn't work, it would idle like crap and die at stop lights, threw misc engine codes. I found the upper intake and supercharger assy was leaking profusely. I removed it and found stripped out bolts, chips and other case damage. I have installed a few KB's and am familiar with how sensitive they are on install and torque specs. While removing the charger I had to use a 1/2" breaker bar to loosen the case bolts:eek2: . This was a bad sign as KB specs read 20ft lbs. The manual even says in bold print, 20ft lbs. not 22 or 25 WILL CAUSE DAMAGE! These were at least 60-70 ft lbs. What happens when the case is over torqued it takes a set and the rotors wear accordingly. Problem is when you remove the charger the case is warped. When it is reinstalled and torqued to 20ft lbs it runs for a few minutes then locks up when it reaches temp. I called KB Tech today and this is exactly what happened to this charger.
I will attach a few pics of what I found today. You will be looking for bad seals where it sucked in water and blew out oil. I srayed the engine with water to find the vacuum leaks, you can also see where the boost has blown oil vapor out of the leaks and collected dirt. Also with a KB you have to use shorter intake bolts. They used the stock bolts and cracked the fricking case and stripped the bolts! If that chunk would have fallen in the chrager it would have locked it up instantly. I resealed the surfaces and drilled and tapped the adapter plate, filed smooth whatever it took to repair the damage. It is a shame that this was done by a local shop and ended up ruining a new KB:rolleyes: .
The broken boost gauge had the line pushed into the gauge but not fastened in a compression connector. The spark plugs were so tight I had to use a bar to break them loose also. I wish I could have done the job to begin with and helped to avoid this disaster. It adds up when you have it done twice.

L8 APEX
10-14-2003, 08:44 PM
Here are pics of the adapter plate with evidence of leaks and stripped holes. They also neglected to trim the accy bracket away from the waste gate lever. They roughly ground on it but not enough to clear, it could not move freely.

Lyfisin
10-15-2003, 08:30 AM
That's why I'm glad you're around here Terry. :bows

It makes people like me, who know very little about that kinda of stuff, feel much better about getting work done on my truck.

Brook

blueoval01
10-15-2003, 04:35 PM
Hey Brook,

You sell that Stang and get another L? :burnout:

cpeapea
10-15-2003, 06:28 PM
and what shop did this?!

some people should just be shot

L8 APEX
10-15-2003, 08:17 PM
and what shop did this?!

some people should just be shotI won't bash another shop on the net. If you want to know in person I will tell you the story.

L8 APEX
10-15-2003, 08:20 PM
Well we got the KB off and ready to ship and got the customer running again with his OE Eaton charger. Now to fix the rest of the FUBAR and hopefully get the KB warrantied:hammer: .

Autothrottle
10-15-2003, 11:37 PM
I hate to see people getting screwed over like this:hammer:

Nice work Terry:tu:

Lyfisin
10-16-2003, 09:55 AM
Hey Brook,

You sell that Stang and get another L? :burnout:
I'm thinking you must be thinking of somebody else. If it was me, this is how it went.

We had an Explorer and a Mustang. We traded the Explorer in on the L in August 2002 and then traded the Mustang in on an Accord not long after. October I think.

Brook

blueoval01
10-16-2003, 10:57 AM
I'm thinking you must be thinking of somebody else. If it was me, this is how it went.
We had an Explorer and a Mustang. We traded the Explorer in on the L in August 2002 and then traded the Mustang in on an Accord not long after. October I think.
BrookYep, I met you at the last meeting.
:hammer: And yep, confused you for another guy that lives in McKinney.

microsuck
10-20-2003, 01:45 AM
Yeah, I know all about it too. If we are talking about the same truck, I saw what a shitty job they did last time I was at his house. they had the vac lines all mixed up too. I put them back. the brake booster wasnt hooked up either. glad to see that truck is going to be runnin again.
Andrew