PDA

View Full Version : brake pads

microsuck
10-24-2003, 08:59 AM
I was about to go and get some auto zone pads but I am worried about the cracks in my rotors. they are pretty small but still visible. I guess I will get the rotors turned when I am doing it. do you think that will make them go away. I will just upgrade to one of terrys brake systems if I have to, but I want some opinions about the stock ones first.
Andrew

trublu02
10-24-2003, 09:37 AM
I wouldn't put those auto zone pads on your Lightning but as for your rotors it may be time to replace them:)

microsuck
10-24-2003, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't put those auto zone pads on your Lightning but as for your rotors it may be time to replace them:) humm, thats some cash money. so if I replace all that stuff. should I get terrys full EBC package or should I just replace with stock everything?
Andrew

trublu02
10-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Well thats your call but I can tell you that I have replaced some pads and rotors before and the pads were like 75.00 and the rotors were like 85.00 each but Terry sells a better set up so its really just your call:)

pads#(F75Z-2001-AA) rotors#(YL3Z-1102-AB)
dealer cost(66.18) (77.51 ea.)

if you know someone that works at ford they can get a good price most of the time a 10% mark up;)

03'svtlight
10-24-2003, 10:20 AM
do not buy autozone pads!!!! They do more damage than good....... The pads they sell ( the cheapos) have not went thru enough heat cycles. Thats why they are so cheap...... That manufacturer (albany) figures a break-in period of about 500 miles..... Thats to long because only certified brake techs ( such as myself) know exactly how to break in pads. Thats only to eliminate squeaking. The other problem is they omit so much brake dust its a shame. Stick with dealer pads, wagner, or go to napa. They seem to have the best pads... Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue:

microsuck
10-24-2003, 12:49 PM
do not buy autozone pads!!!! They do more damage than good....... The pads they sell ( the cheapos) have not went thru enough heat cycles. Thats why they are so cheap...... That manufacturer (albany) figures a break-in period of about 500 miles..... Thats to long because only certified brake techs ( such as myself) know exactly how to break in pads. Thats only to eliminate squeaking. The other problem is they omit so much brake dust its a shame. Stick with dealer pads, wagner, or go to napa. They seem to have the best pads... Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue:Awesome!:banana: Thanks alot guys. I knew I could get some help. Now, if terry would just get back to me about that EBC setup.............

dboat
10-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Awesome!:banana: Thanks alot guys. I knew I could get some help. Now, if terry would just get back to me about that EBC setup.............

Andrew, I have the EBC setup.. it rocks.. If you come out on Sat to UJ's, I will let you give them a try.. it will make you think you are doing a nose wheelie on the Honda :tu:

Dana

rickgig
10-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Andrew, I have the EBC setup.. it rocks.. If you come out on Sat to UJ's, I will let you give them a try.. it will make you think you are doing a nose wheelie on the Honda :tu:

Dana
Alright... I need a little education here. What is Terry's EBC setup? I recently replaced the rotors with Brembo and used the NAPA pads... The rotors are just OEM replacement rotors from a brand name and nothing more... cheaper than getting them at Ford though.

microsuck
10-25-2003, 10:13 AM
Alright... I need a little education here. What is Terry's EBC setup? I recently replaced the rotors with Brembo and used the NAPA pads... The rotors are just OEM replacement rotors from a brand name and nothing more... cheaper than getting them at Ford though.I will let the man answer this one................

L8 APEX
10-25-2003, 03:34 PM
EBC is a well known brake company. They have focused on European cars and motorcycles for a long time. Now they are expanding to domestic apps. They use a process of dimples and slots so there are no drilled holes to crack out. Even my 14" Brembo bad boys have cracked out. So I like the EBC's they are effective and heavy enough to last without cracking like OEM drilled rotors are prone to do. They are on my website and in previous posts.
http://performanceresearchonline.com/street/svt/brakes.htm

TP Derrick D
10-25-2003, 08:51 PM
TERRY DID MY "TOY TRUCK" WITH THE EBC's RIGHT BEFORE FUN FORD AND I LIKE THEM, THEY WILL COAT OVER WITH RUST IF THE TRUCK SET FOR A WHILE . I LET MINE SAT FOR 3 WEEKS AFTER L FEST AND THE ROTORS HAD A COAT THAT COME OFF WHEN YOU DRIVE AND USE THE BRAKES. TODAY , I WAS IN A CAR SHOW AND THERE WAS THE CADDY/ESCALADE SILVERADO THAT CLARK BROS. PAINT & BODY BUILT, HE TOLD ME THERE IS SOME TYPE OF COATING THAT'S AVAILABLE IT CAN ALSO BE USED TO COAT THE INSIDE OF THE EXHAUST TIPS . HAVE YOU HEARD OF IT OR USED IT? I KNOW YOU TOLD ME YOU GOT SOMETHING TO PUT IN THE EXHAUST I JUST HAVEN'T CAME BY THE SHOP YET. :o

99WhiteBeast
10-27-2003, 01:59 PM
EBC's rock- get the deal from Terry:cool: