PDA

View Full Version : Found some Power Back

SILVER2000SVT
10-25-2003, 08:54 AM
I finally got around to putting another set of TR-6's in. It's been about 18K and judging by how they look I think this is going to have to be one of those every other oil change things. Lately I've only been able to peak out around 7psi, but after changing the plugs I saw it squeak up to 10 psi and it feels a lot stronger. I know I should be seeing a little more than that with a 4# pulley on there but I think I know where the rest is:

After I had my passenger side head replaced in July, about 2 months later the drivers side had a couple of plugs back out a little. I went in and tightened them and didn't think anything about it, but when I went to replace them last night the new ones would only thread in 7 turns on #1, 3 turns on #2, 5 turns on #3 and, 4 turns on #4, this is compared to a consistant 7-8 turns on the new passenger side head.

I assume that this isn't right and I'm thinking I am probably going to have to take it to get that head fixed too?

Jason

microsuck
10-25-2003, 10:18 AM
I finally got around to putting another set of TR-6's in. It's been about 18K and judging by how they look I think this is going to have to be one of those every other oil change things. Lately I've only been able to peak out around 7psi, but after changing the plugs I saw it squeak up to 10 psi and it feels a lot stronger. I know I should be seeing a little more than that with a 4# pulley on there but I think I know where the rest is:

After I had my passenger side head replaced in July, about 2 months later the drivers side had a couple of plugs back out a little. I went in and tightened them and didn't think anything about it, but when I went to replace them last night the new ones would only thread in 7 turns on #1, 3 turns on #2, 5 turns on #3 and, 4 turns on #4, this is compared to a consistant 7-8 turns on the new passenger side head.

I assume that this isn't right and I'm thinking I am probably going to have to take it to get that head fixed too?

Jason7psi? something is wack. It should be atleast above 10 in ANY weather at WOT with a 4#. dont forget. if you arent running the boost your chip is burned for at WOT. your AFR will be off. If you only were hitting 7psi then your turck would have been mega-rich and fouling your plugs even worse. if there is anything I have learned in the past month, its that every psi of boost makes a big difference with your AFR.
Andrew

SILVER2000SVT
10-25-2003, 11:04 AM
7psi? something is wack. It should be atleast above 10 in ANY weather at WOT with a 4#. dont forget. if you arent running the boost your chip is burned for at WOT. your AFR will be off. If you only were hitting 7psi then your turck would have been mega-rich and fouling your plugs even worse. if there is anything I have learned in the past month, its that every psi of boost makes a big difference with your AFR.
Andrew
My Superchip is burnt for my setup, but you are right about the fouling at lower boost because the one ford plug that the dealer put in there when they changed the head also looked pretty bad and it only had 2k on it. They were all coated with this brownish red stuff caked on pretty thick.

I know I need a real boost gage, and I asked Terry about one, but If you remember my post from several months ago about not having very much boost, the dealer ended up replacing the cluster and the new one says exactly the same thing. So it's not likely that both the orginal gage and the new one were both off by exactly the same amount. So I think my factory boost gage is working correctly for right now.

Also the other weekend at Kennedale I ran an 8.6 on slicks at 80mph with a 2.005 60' time. I know the weather was bad (real humid) but I've ran an 8.3 there before on F1's at 84mph. I just don't think that the humid weather can make it that much worse, and even if it did it shouldn't make the 60' time that bad, because that 2.005 was no spinning.

I'm thinking some of the problem might be those 3 spark plugs only being threaded in half of what they should be and maybe leaking a little.

Jason

microsuck
10-25-2003, 11:16 AM
My Superchip is burnt for my setup, but you are right about the fouling at lower boost because the one ford plug that the dealer put in there when they changed the head also looked pretty bad and it only had 2k on it. They were all coated with this brownish red stuff caked on pretty thick.

I know I need a real boost gage, and I asked Terry about one, but If you remember my post from several months ago about not having very much boost, the dealer ended up replacing the cluster and the new one says exactly the same thing. So it's not likely that both the orginal gage and the new one were both off by exactly the same amount. So I think my factory boost gage is working correctly for right now.

Also the other weekend at Kennedale I ran an 8.6 on slicks at 80mph with a 2.005 60' time. I know the weather was bad (real humid) but I've ran an 8.3 there before on F1's at 84mph. I just don't think that the humid weather can make it that much worse, and even if it did it shouldn't make the 60' time that bad, because that 2.005 was no spinning.

I'm thinking some of the problem might be those 3 spark plugs only being threaded in half of what they should be and maybe leaking a little.

Jasonwell correct me if I am wrong, but I believe boost is read from the air built up between the blower and the intake valves, so leaky plug wouldent have any effect on the boost level, now, less cylinder pressure is another story. just get an autometer bost gauge, it is the eaisest install ever and is a very nice edition to your truck. I bet you have a boost leak somewhere, and the gauge is fine.
Andrew

microsuck
10-25-2003, 11:18 AM
well correct me if I am wrong, but I believe boost is read from the air built up between the blower and the intake valves, so leaky plug wouldent have any effect on the boost level, now, less cylinder pressure is another story. just get an autometer bost gauge, it is the eaisest install ever and is a very nice edition to your truck. I bet you have a boost leak somewhere, and the gauge is fine.
Andrewas a side note, I have one orig head and one replaced one (not sure what it was replaced with, 3 or 7) and mine dont leak.
Andrew

SILVER2000SVT
10-27-2003, 01:39 PM
as a side note, I have one orig head and one replaced one (not sure what it was replaced with, 3 or 7) and mine dont leak.
Andrew
When you say 3 or 7, do you mean there are different heads with a different number of threads? If so, why would some have 5 turns and some have 3 on the same head?

All my plugs had a reddish brown (rust color) crust all over them, some pretty thick. The #2 plug, the one with 3 turns that I tightened 2 weeks ago, was loose again.

As far as the boost being affected by sparkplugs leaking or being worn, I don't think they are directly related, but rather indirectly. If there is a power loss somewhere, that means there is less power to drive the supercharger, therefore less pressure.

Jason

microsuck
10-27-2003, 02:40 PM
When you say 3 or 7, do you mean there are different heads with a different number of threads? If so, why would some have 5 turns and some have 3 on the same head?

All my plugs had a reddish brown (rust color) crust all over them, some pretty thick. The #2 plug, the one with 3 turns that I tightened 2 weeks ago, was loose again.

As far as the boost being affected by sparkplugs leaking or being worn, I don't think they are directly related, but rather indirectly. If there is a power loss somewhere, that means there is less power to drive the supercharger, therefore less pressure.

Jasonwhat I meant was I didnt know if they replaced it with the old style head, or the revised one with more threads. dark plugs is okay, it means you are a bit rich, which is fine. you might want to torque them on harder next time. that should help.
Andrew

SILVER2000SVT
10-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Not to worry, I torqued the #$%! out of the new ones I put in. If they back out again, I'm just going to let them go all the way and get the other head replaced. BTW, called the dealer and asked if the new head they put on was different than the original. The service guy called two of the mechanics and none of them have ever heard of the heads being different. That makes me feel really good about taking my truck to them.

Jason

microsuck
10-27-2003, 03:33 PM
Not to worry, I torqued the #$%! out of the new ones I put in. If they back out again, I'm just going to let them go all the way and get the other head replaced. BTW, called the dealer and asked if the new head they put on was different than the original. The service guy called two of the mechanics and none of them have ever heard of the heads being different. That makes me feel really good about taking my truck to them.

Jasonford will never lay a finger on my truck again as ling as there is still breath in my lungs. my quality of work exceeds theirs, as does my knowledge of the lightning truck.
Andrew