PDA

View Full Version : excessive backflow....

Alpine
10-26-2003, 10:32 PM
Service engine light comes on and when we scan it, it says" excessive backflow through EGR". Anyone know what causes this?:confused: Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to take it to the dealer.
Thanks,
Jeff.

microsuck
10-28-2003, 11:20 PM
Service engine light comes on and when we scan it, it says" excessive backflow through EGR". Anyone know what causes this?:confused: Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to take it to the dealer.
Thanks,
Jeff.humm, sounds like your egr valve may be sticking open. could be the vacc line or just a bad valve. is it coming back after you clear the code?
Andrew

Alpine
10-29-2003, 12:02 AM
humm, sounds like your egr valve may be sticking open. could be the vacc line or just a bad valve. is it coming back after you clear the code?
AndrewYeah, it comes back. Just recently found out egr is stuck open. I removed egr and the tube that goes to the exhaust manifold. Capped off with a fitting I got at Ace hardware at the manifold, and installed a plate over the hole using the same gasket where the egr valve was. Truck is finally running smooth again and the light has remained off for now. :tu:
If anyone is wondering why I took out my egr valve, the dealer wanted $98.00 for a new one. I paid about $10 for the stuff to take take it out. I have read all the post on F150online, everyone has different opinons. All I know is my truck is running good, I saved $90 bucks, and my ses light is off.:D

microsuck
10-29-2003, 02:11 AM
Yeah, it comes back. Just recently found out egr is stuck open. I removed egr and the tube that goes to the exhaust manifold. Capped off with a fitting I got at Ace hardware at the manifold, and installed a plate over the hole using the same gasket where the egr valve was. Truck is finally running smooth again and the light has remained off for now. :tu:
If anyone is wondering why I took out my egr valve, the dealer wanted $98.00 for a new one. I paid about $10 for the stuff to take take it out. I have read all the post on F150online, everyone has different opinons. All I know is my truck is running good, I saved $90 bucks, and my ses light is off.:Dyou will get worse gas mileage now though. the egr can realy be tweaked to get some good fuel economy.
Andrew

Alpine
10-29-2003, 06:47 AM
you will get worse gas mileage now though. the egr can realy be tweaked to get some good fuel economy.
AndrewI dont thunk anyone buys a lightning , mods it out , and expects to get good fuel economy. I dont think the word good goes in any sentence that involves mileage in a lightning.:D

min150mph
10-29-2003, 08:25 AM
I dont thunk anyone buys a lightning , mods it out , and expects to get good fuel economy. I dont think the word good goes in any sentence that involves mileage in a lightning.:D
I think you've got a point there. BTW you can buy the EGR at O'reilly or other partstores that carry motorcraft for a lot less than $98. I bought one for $48.

Just make sure that when you've got it plugged off that it doesn't run too lean in cruising mode. Should be ok since in closed loop, but not sure the computer compensates or not.

L8 APEX
10-29-2003, 09:04 AM
I doubt the EGR was leaking most likely the control valve holding it open. It is a common failure among many Fords. I think it is a nono to block off the EGR without programing for it. It should throuw a code soon. Those two little tubes off the EGR line go to a trasducer that tell the computer whether the EGR is flowing or not.

99WhiteBeast
10-29-2003, 09:30 AM
I doubt the EGR was leaking most likely the control valve holding it open. It is a common failure among many Fords. I think it is a nono to block off the EGR without programing for it. It should throuw a code soon. Those two little tubes off the EGR line go to a trasducer that tell the computer whether the EGR is flowing or not.
If is stuck open would it cause a rich or lean condition?

L8 APEX
10-29-2003, 09:36 AM
I am not answering you Swanson Boy:nono:

microsuck
10-29-2003, 09:38 AM
I am not answering you Swanson Boy:nono:lean right? just a guess cause the extra airflow.

microsuck
10-29-2003, 09:40 AM
I dont thunk anyone buys a lightning , mods it out , and expects to get good fuel economy. I dont think the word good goes in any sentence that involves mileage in a lightning.:Dwell, when youve got 4 programs on your chip, you might as well have one for when you arent racing someone (which is 85% of my drive time)

Alpine
10-29-2003, 06:26 PM
I think it is a nono to block off the EGR without programing for it.I think its a "nono" to put a spoiler on a lightning:nono: umm......anyway, I will get my chip reprogramed for the 6th time now, but thats another story. The lightning is parked right now and I am driving the Toyota so I got time to get my chip situation fixed. Also, I would like to give a shout out to my buddy Rob for talking me into buying the chip I am currently running. :hammer: :tongue: Your lucky I like you Rob or I would come over ther and..........and....:flaming:

Alpine
10-29-2003, 07:42 PM
well, when youve got 4 programs on your chip, you might as well have one for when you arent racing someone (which is 85% of my drive time)Andrew, Thanks man for the help, and everyone else too. Any info and opinons are always appreciated. I will keep everyone posted on the ses and the egr situation if anything comes up worth mentioning. :tu:

microsuck
10-29-2003, 07:58 PM
Andrew, Thanks man for the help, and everyone else too. Any info and opinons are always appreciated. I will keep everyone posted on the ses and the egr situation if anything comes up worth mentioning. :tu:no prob, good luck too. let me know if u need any code scans from my laptop too. If u come to me (or im in your neighbor hood) its free.
Andrew

jcblack
10-29-2003, 09:19 PM
I am not answering you Swanson Boy:nono:
So are you saying that since Steve bought a chip from someone else, you wont answer his question. Aren't you a tuner? Answer the question.

Alpine
10-29-2003, 09:59 PM
I would like to make a comment, just a comment that needs to be said.
I have only known Steve(99whitebeast) for a couple of months. Steve is one of the nicest people in the L community that I have met. Steve more than goes out of his way to help myself, JcBlack and other lightning owners with anything they ask, or need. I could not tell you how many times I have been in his garage working on my truck. Oil changes, pulley swaps, plug changes, etc. I think he is a huge asset to talon and to other lightning owners, as displayed by the talon stickers on both his L,s and his genuine kindness. If anyone asks Steve a question I believe he would try to answer it to the best of his ability. If anyone needed something for their truck, or needed to borrow something, I promise you there would be no hesitation. Steve, thanks for being such a good friend.

Rob, Jake, Mark,....I guess you guys are allright too!

jcblack
10-29-2003, 10:26 PM
I would like to make a comment, just a comment that needs to be said.
I have only known Steve(99whitebeast) for a couple of months. Steve is one of the nicest people in the L community that I have met. Steve more than goes out of his way to help myself, JcBlack and other lightning owners with anything they ask, or need. I could not tell you how many times I have been in his garage working on my truck. Oil changes, pulley swaps, plug changes, etc. I think he is a huge asset to talon and to other lightning owners, as displayed by the talon stickers on both his L,s and his genuine kindness. If anyone asks Steve a question I believe he would try to answer it to the best of his ability. If anyone needed something for there truck, or needed to borrow something, I promise you there would be no hesitation. Steve, thanks for being such a good friend.

Rob and Mark,....I guess you guys are allright too! Jake on the other hand is the shiznit. I love that guy to death.I agree completely with jeff. Steve is the baddest dude in South A-town. No questions asked, just "Bring It".

99WhiteBeast
10-29-2003, 10:38 PM
mi garaje su garaje:beer:

blueoval01
10-29-2003, 10:49 PM
This thread has become a bit highjacked ..... But do you know ..

That Steve is an avid Landscaper and people pay him actual $$ to do this?
Just in case you need his services ....... :tu:

Sixpipes
10-29-2003, 11:10 PM
That Steve is an avid Landscaper and people pay him actual $$ to do this?
Just in case you need his services ....... :tu:Then Steve and I are a lot alike..................because I have always appreciated a nice bush.

Steve, the answer is lean. Us Swanson boys need to stick together. :cool:

02BOLT
10-30-2003, 12:32 AM
I think its a "nono" to put a spoiler on a lightning:nono: umm......anyway, I will get my chip reprogramed for the 6th time now, but thats another story. The lightning is parked right now and I am driving the Toyota so I got time to get my chip situation fixed. Also, I would like to give a shout out to my buddy Rob for talking me into buying the chip I am currently running. :hammer: :tongue: Your lucky I like you Rob or I would come over ther and..........and....:flaming:

You're killin me.:bs

Love you...:nana2

02BOLT
10-30-2003, 12:37 AM
Appreciate you too Jeffrey...ya little pecker.:eek2:

:d

Alpine
10-30-2003, 01:05 AM
Appreciate you too Jeffrey...ya little pecker.:eek2:

:d
:bows Hugh strikes again!........since you got to get all nasty and such, I am going to finish my and.....and.......

and........and.........knock your teeth so far down your throat, you'll have to unbutton your pants to chew...........you think Im kidding, Im not, I guarantee.:flaming: :rll: :rll:

02BOLT
10-30-2003, 09:14 AM
:bows Hugh strikes again!........since you got to get all nasty and such, I am going to finish my and.....and.......

and........and.........knock your teeth so far down your throat, you'll have to unbutton your pants to chew...........you think Im kidding, Im not, I guarantee.:flaming: :rll: :rll:

Oh yeah....well since ya gotta go and get all nasty ta me, come on over here.....
I'll kick yer a$$ so dadgum hard you'll cough and fart at the same dam time!...

I'll hit ya so hard, yer kids'll be borned dizzy!....

I'll jerk a pop knot on yer head big enough to warrant its own dam zip code, then I'll sick ma bride on ye, she got fists the size of hamhocks, I GUARANTEE...come on:d

Sixpipes
10-30-2003, 10:12 AM
she got fists the size of hamhocks...........
I have always preferred women with hamhocks the size of fists. Can't you feel the love. :cool:

99WhiteBeast
10-31-2003, 03:56 PM
Then Steve and I are a lot alike..................because I have always appreciated a nice bush.

Steve, the answer is lean. Us Swanson boys need to stick together. :cool:
Thanks- its good to see others still have an appreciation for the bush- the landscapes are so bare nowadays:nono: