PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Sandman
11-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Hi guys,

I have been a fan of the Lightning for a long time. I have finally reached a point in my life where I can afford one. But I don't know whether to go ahead and buy a new Gen2 L or wait for the Gen3. Here are my thoughts:

Buy a Gen2:
- My truck is starting to get alot of miles on it.
- I think I like the looks of the Gen2 a tad better.
- I don't know what a Gen3 will go for. Could the price go up a significant amount?
- When is the Gen3 going to come out?
- I would like to wait a year after the Gen3 comes out so that ford could work out any "bugs".... I don't wanna wait.
- I can have it now! No waiting!
- Wife said I could go ahead and get it.

Buy a Gen3:
- more horsepower and torque.
- Could save up a larger down payment.
- If I buy a Gen2 now, I won't own the baddest truck in the world after the Gen3 comes out.

Other thoughts:
How well will a Gen2 hold its value after the Gen3 comes out?

If yall have any thoughts or suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Oh, one more thing. I work at PBSG and I see a Red '02-'03 Lightning parked up there all the time. Is it anybody here? If it is, we should get together and talk sometime.

Thanks in advance!

L8 APEX
11-09-2003, 09:50 PM
I would find a dealer and steal a new 03 @ invoice 29.8K or such. Yo unever know what tomorrow will hold. The wife may get a enw car instead or change her tun ea year down the road. I know my gen 2 will beat the gen3 in all arenas with my mods. A lightning in the garage is worth a dozen on the drawing board:tu:

microsuck
11-09-2003, 10:01 PM
I would find a dealer and steal a new 03 @ invoice 29.8K or such. Yo unever know what tomorrow will hold. The wife may get a enw car instead or change her tun ea year down the road. I know my gen 2 will beat the gen3 in all arenas with my mods. A lightning in the garage is worth a dozen on the drawing board:tu:i say strike while the iron is hot. these trucks have never been this cheap before. and my guess is the gen 3 wont be out for another year.
Andrew

skalywags
11-10-2003, 01:23 AM
i say strike while the iron is hot. these trucks have never been this cheap before. and my guess is the gen 3 wont be out for another year.
Andrew
get the Gen2, then talk her into a Gen 3 if you like it better! give her the Gen 2.
Everything i have seen says it will be at least a year. Who knows, it could take them as long to get the Gen 3 out, as it has Dodge to get their $50,000 RAM SRT, out. (if it has even made it out, yet)

Nuhklz
11-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Hi guys,

I have been a fan of the Lightning for a long time. I have finally reached a point in my life where I can afford one. But I don't know whether to go ahead and buy a new Gen2 L or wait for the Gen3. Here are my thoughts:

Buy a Gen2:
- My truck is starting to get alot of miles on it.
- I think I like the looks of the Gen2 a tad better.
- I don't know what a Gen3 will go for. Could the price go up a significant amount?
- When is the Gen3 going to come out?
- I would like to wait a year after the Gen3 comes out so that ford could work out any "bugs".... I don't wanna wait.
- I can have it now! No waiting!
- Wife said I could go ahead and get it.

Buy a Gen3:
- more horsepower and torque.
- Could save up a larger down payment.
- If I buy a Gen2 now, I won't own the baddest truck in the world after the Gen3 comes out.

Other thoughts:
How well will a Gen2 hold its value after the Gen3 comes out?

If yall have any thoughts or suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Oh, one more thing. I work at PBSG and I see a Red '02-'03 Lightning parked up there all the time. Is it anybody here? If it is, we should get together and talk sometime.

Thanks in advance!
I bought my 03 three weeks ago and the dealer in Grapevine worked me a great deal. If you need any info feel free to pm me. I asked about the next generation and they said that there is already a waiting list which will result in allocations and price tags ~$50K.

REXRENEGADE
11-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Just get the 03! The money you will save on the deals they are making for new lightnings can be well spent on MODS. Our own Terry "Sling Blade" Cole will have you doing WHEELIES in no time I rekon.
My 2cents
Curtis J :d

03LightningRocks
11-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Just get the 03! The money you will save on the deals they are making for new lightnings can be well spent on MODS. Our own Terry "Sling Blade" Cole will have you doing WHEELIES in no time I rekon.
My 2cents
Curtis J :d

I saw an 04 at Town east Ford last week. Looks exactly like an 03 except for one small change. The tail pipes where shinier, larger and actually level.

I'd do the 04 so I wouldn't loose a years value straight off the lot. You'll be upside down in your payment far longer with the 03 than an 04.

Rocks:tu:

Sandman
11-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Well,

I think yall are right. So here's the game plan. I'm going to save up a bit more of a down payment, and then buy one this spring. I'm thinking of white or silver. I like the silver alot, but I've seen some white ones with white powder coated rims that I really like.

So as long as things go well, I should be joining yall in the spring!

Looking forward to it!

Andy

Tony2000
11-11-2003, 07:57 PM
that must be mine I live in Carroltton also and I used to have the white wheels,
on my 2000 even if others think different they know WHITE is the best...........

Ok here we go who is the first one that's going to tell me that black, red, blue, silver is better huhuh. :rll: :hammer:. the truth is that just the fact that is a Lightning is all goog color is just a preference

Tony2000

Silver_2000
11-11-2003, 08:05 PM
I bought my 03 three weeks ago and the dealer in Grapevine worked me a great deal. If you need any info feel free to pm me. I asked about the next generation and they said that there is already a waiting list which will result in allocations and price tags ~$50K.
They are DREAMING about the waiting lists and the above MSRP $$$$

The reality is that in this economy if they make 4-8000 of them you will be able to but them for msrp or under within 3 months of them hittting the street. YOu may have to shop to do it but you will be able to ...

Doug