PDA

View Full Version : Alpine the Creator

jcblack
11-16-2003, 07:49 PM
Alpine, 99WhiteBeast and Myself put on DS loops this weekend. Alpine is the Loop maker. Why buy one when you can make one for way cheaper? Check these out. We even coated them with a rubber coating to ensure that they will never rust or rattle.

99WhiteBeast
11-16-2003, 08:00 PM
As you can see in the last pic that is a full unopened beer I gave Jeff which he failed to drink. Jacob missed it backing out of the garage and of course I didn't see it pulling in until it was too late.....:eek2:

Unopened Bud Light vs 5000lb white beast = messy garage:nono:

Nice job on the loops though Mr Jeffner:tu:

Alpine
11-16-2003, 08:11 PM
As you can see in the last pic that is a full unopened beer I gave Jeff which he failed to drink. Jacob missed it backing out of the garage and of course I didn't see it pulling in until it was too late.....:eek2:

Unopened Bud Light vs 5000lb white beast = messy garage:nono:

Nice job on the loops though Mr Jeffner:tu: LMFAO! I asked jacob when we got back to his house if you brought me out a beer and he said you did. How can nobody see a fresh cool bud on the floor. Poor little guy probably fell over and rolled under your tire when he saw you coming to commit suicide:( He felt unwanted.

L8 APEX
11-16-2003, 08:52 PM
Nice Guys:tu: Does anyone know the NHRA requirements for a DS loop? I think it has to be 1/4" thick steel and 3/8" bolts grade 5? I never seen them check one anyway.
One time a few years ago we were racing Federal Mogul NHRA. Just got the transmission finished Friday night and loaded up to the track. Got to tech and we forgot the DS loop at the shop:hammer: . So we went to the 24HR WalMart and made one out of aluminum rulers and spray painted it black. Sad thing is he passed it:rll:

Alpine
11-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Nice Guys:tu: Does anyone know the NHRA requirements for a DS loop? I think it has to be 1/4" thick steel and 3/8" bolts grade 5? I never seen them check one anyway.
One time a few years ago we were racing Federal Mogul NHRA. Just got the transmission finished Friday night and loaded up to the track. Got to tech and we forgot the DS loop at the shop:hammer: . So we went to the 24HR WalMart and made one out of aluminum rulers and spray painted it black. Sad thing is he passed it:rll:I know the piece that expands across the frame is 1/4 inch, the bolts are 3/8 with washers and lock washers. I dont know what grade the bolts are, we just got the ones at Home Depot. The piece that loops around the drive shaft is 3/16, but could easily be bent with 1/4 inch if necessary. I dont plan on entering any NHRA events. I do know that these things are very solid and if the drive shaft goes, it wont go far.You can never be too safe. For the ammount of racing we do I think they will serve their intended purpose, collect dirt under the truck 99 percent of the time.:beer: Remember I like to play in the mud with my truck, especially at the end of the track at Ennis:hammer:
Thanks for the props, we had alot of fun building them.:tu:

In loving memory of the Bud Light Steve murdered in his garage. We'll miss you little "BUD"dy. 11/15/2003.

jcblack
11-16-2003, 09:53 PM
I know the piece that expands across the frame is 1/4 inch, the bolts are 3/8 with washers and lock washers. I dont know what grade the bolts are, we just got the ones at Home Depot. The piece that loops around the drive shaft is 3/16, but could easily be bent with 1/4 inch if necessary. I dont plan on entering any NHRA events. I do know that these things are very solid and if the drive shaft goes, it wont go far.You can never be too safe. For the ammount of racing we do I think they will serve their intended purpose, collect dirt under the truck 99 percent of the time.:beer: Remember I like to play in the mud with my truck, especially at the end of the track at Ennis:hammer:
Thanks for the props, we had alot of fun building them.:tu:

In loving memory of the Bud Light Steve murdered in his garage. We'll miss you little "BUD"dy. 11/15/2003.
Nicely put Jeffner. I dont think that I will be racing any NHRA soon. Unless I get the NHRA side of my chip to start working.

L8 APEX
11-16-2003, 09:53 PM
When ever you get on a NHRA track like Ennis or Kennadale you are subject to NHRA rules. As for idnetifying a bolt if it is standard graded the marks on the head is grade 5 and 6 marks on the head is grade 8. fyi. I think they require DS loop for slicks or faster than 12.99.. I have broken EVERYTHING but! the drive shaft. So they definately have my approval:hammer: , A DS loop is a nice safety piece though. Considering the fuel tank is right next to it:eek2:

02BOLT
11-16-2003, 09:56 PM
:tu: LMAO!!! Congrats on the new Loops.

Later...:burnout:

Alpine
11-16-2003, 10:00 PM
When ever you get on a NHRA track like Ennis or Kennadale you are subject to NHRA rules. As for idnetifying a bolt if it is standard graded the marks on the head is grade 5 and 6 marks on the head is grade 8. fyi. I think they require DS loop for slicks or faster than 12.99.. I have broken EVERYTHING but! the drive shaft. So they definately have my approval:hammer: , A DS loop is a nice safety piece though. Considering the fuel tank is right next to it:eek2: Good info, We got lucky, I checked the bolts and from what you are saying, they are grade 5. As far as running 12.99 or faster, I will be leaving mine on. Steve and Jake, you guys can go ahead and take yours off!!!!:rll: :rll: :rll:

microsuck
11-16-2003, 10:02 PM
also fyi, the loop needs to be in the middle so protect if either the rear OR the front snaps. if the front snapps your truck can "pole-vault" over the shaft and flip. JDM had a truck that did that.

L8 APEX
11-16-2003, 10:04 PM
To bad Steve doesn't have a dog, the beer could have been salvaged anyway:hammer:

jcblack
11-16-2003, 10:10 PM
Good info, We got lucky, I checked the bolts and from what you are saying, they are grade 5. As far as running 12.99 or faster, I will be leaving mine on. Steve and Jake, you guys can go ahead and take yours off!!!!:rll: :rll: :rll:
Good luck with the console buddy, later.

Alpine
11-16-2003, 10:13 PM
also fyi, the loop needs to be in the middle so protect if either the rear OR the front snaps. if the front snapps your truck can "pole-vault" over the shaft and flip. JDM had a truck that did that. How is it going to pole vault if it snaps at th rear end? It would just drag. I have never seen one in the middle, although it would not hurt if you can make it work in the middle. The one JLP makes is exactly like the ones we made, and in the same spot they install.

Alpine
11-16-2003, 10:16 PM
Good luck with the console buddy, later.umm....ummm... ok, ok, you can keep yours on. Your truck would run 12's if you woul get you some damn traction:d :burnout:

jcblack
11-16-2003, 10:18 PM
umm....ummm... ok, ok, you can keep yours on. Your truck would run 12's if you woul get you some damn traction:d :burnout:
Okay, i will still help with the console. The next lid will be the "The One".

Alpine
11-16-2003, 10:25 PM
Okay, i will still help with the console. The next lid will be the "The One".Anyone reading this, Jake is "The Authority" when it comes to custom fiberglass work. I cant wait for "The One", Neo.:eek2:

microsuck
11-16-2003, 10:35 PM
well, here is the location info i had
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/safety/safety.htm
andrew

jcblack
11-16-2003, 11:01 PM
well, here is the location info i had
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/safety/safety.htm
andrewAll of the loops are just about in the same place. None of them are placed in the middle of the shaft. The polevault is when the DS breaks form the front, not the rear. If the back breaks, it will just drag and bang around.

L8 APEX
11-16-2003, 11:08 PM
The required location is approx 8-12" from the front end of the shaft. If it breaks in the rear it will slide out and away. Other wise it has to suspend the front until you stop. The middle is not legal for the track.

Alpine
11-16-2003, 11:44 PM
The required location is approx 8-12" from the front end of the shaft. If it breaks in the rear it will slide out and away. Other wise it has to suspend the front until you stop. The middle is not legal for the track.Terry........:tu:

microsuck
11-17-2003, 02:08 AM
yeah, I jumped to conclusions. when I first say the pic I thought the loop was at the back. I was looking at it backwards and its on the front half. Good work, it looks sweet. what was the total cost to build? I may do the same.
Andrew

jmlay
11-17-2003, 08:13 AM
Here it the NHRA rule. I did not see anything about the bolts, would not use anything less thatn grade 8.

Mike

2.4 DRIVELINE

On any car in which the driver sits over or in back of the rearend center section, a suitable protective shield of .120-inch (3 mm) minimum thickness steel plate must be installed for those units with universal joints securely mounted to the rearend center section and the bellhousing adapter. Where possible, couplers are recommended in place of U-joints. For straight couplers, the minimum requirement is .063-inch (1.6 mm) aluminium which must contain an inspection cover for removal and inspection of the coupler, securely mounted to the rearend center section and the bellhousing adapter, or as noted in Class Requirements. In place of a crossmember, in the vicinity of the front universal joint, all cars in competition using open driveshafts, must have a retainer loop 360-degrees of enclosure, 1/4-inch (6.35 mm) minimum thickness and 2-inches (5.1 cm) wide, or 7/8-inch (22.2 mm) x .065-inch (1.65 mm) welded steel tubing, securely mounted and located within 6-inches (15.2 cm) of the front universal joint f or support of the driveshaft in event of U-joint failure. Recommended the loop be round rather than oblong to minimize loading on loop. Open drivelines passing any part of the driver's body must be completely enclosed in 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) minimum thickness steel plate, securely mounted to the frame or frame structure.

One time a few years ago we were racing Federal Mogul NHRA. Just got the transmission finished Friday night and loaded up to the track. Got to tech and we forgot the DS loop at the shop:hammer: . So we went to the 24HR WalMart and made one out of aluminum rulers and spray painted it black. Sad thing is he passed it:rll: