PDA

View Full Version : My Bike Got Stolen Saturday

scott015
11-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Man, having a bike is just not worth it to me anymore... Everytime I ride it, i worry if the cops are gonna hastle me... and when im not "ON" the bike, i have to worry about it getting jacked... well everyone kept telling me bikes are the easiest/most wanted things to steal... and i just never thought it would happen to me...

Let me give a little story on what happened..

my little sis (17) had a few friends over at my house on Friday night. I wouldnt ever let her have a high school party at my house... but she just has a few of her friends once in a while and its no biggy... well on Friday night everything was cool, there probably werent more than 10 people at my house... but 2 guys were guys that my sis didnt know very well. Well this one of the 2 kept going ON AND ON about how lucky i was... im only 24, have a nice big house, gixxer, ford lightning and a beautiful wife... and he just kept going on and on..

well nothing ever happened... then on Saturday morning while I was at work... my sis called and asked me if my helmet was still at home and I said I didnt know... well when I got home I checked... and my 2 helmets, gloves, jacket were all gone.... so one of my sis good friends found out that those 2 guys took the stuff, and he got me back the stuff.

Then later on the same night (saturday night) i went to bed at about 3am, (checked the garage everynight before i go to bed... truck and bike were tucked in.... then my wife got home at exactly 5am (went out with some old friends) and she ran in the house screaming... SCOTT WHERE IS YOUR BIKE!!! and i was asleep so i was like, babe be quite, its in the garage... go to sleep, etc... blah blah... then she said NO, the garage is opened and bike is gone... I ran outside and bike was GONE!!!!

They had busted the window in my wifes jeep out in the driveway, opened the garage door with the genie opener thing then threw bike in bakc of a truck... there were tire marks in my yard where you can see... so im assuming there had to be at least 3-4 guys...

So I called the cops and reported it at 5am... basically gave them the full report of the kids names and the whole story... my sis knew their names and where they lived and everything... so cops basically just reported it stolen and then said a Detective will be calling me on Monday morning...

I KNOW it had to be those 2 thugs that jacked my helmet, etc... i mean, how stupid are they? We know they took the gear...

anyway, here is the worst news of it all... i only had liability insurance... so im screwed... both cops told me to call my homeowners insurance that since they broke in and stole out of my house, they will cover it... so im praying and gonna call them soon...

well im probably just wishful thinking, but if anyone knows about a 2002 Black/Yellow GSXR 600 stolen from Mansfield Texas on Saturday night (Sunday morning) please let me know

817 417 6400

scott015
11-17-2003, 10:30 AM
i just called my homeowners and could the run around...

called the agent and they said that i have to call the actual insurance company, but she said she had never heard of homeowners covering a vehical... that is what automobile insurance is for...

so i am SHAKING RIGHT NOW

i called the acutal insurance and filed a claim... and that lady didnt know aything, she just said an adjuster will be calling me in 48 hours...

so i am scared out of my mind... i dont know

L8 APEX
11-17-2003, 10:41 AM
I feel for you bro my dad got run off the road Sunday on his 954. Going 55mph down South 360. An old lady in a Dodge truck claimed she never saw him and pulled right over into his lane. He only had liability and the cops didn't write her a ticket. That makes it a lot harder to fight. Dad always told me it is your friends that know what you have to take. I limit who gets a tour of my house and garage. I never leave an opener in an outside vehicle. I have AllState homeowners and they said anything that has its own title ie cars, boats, atv, motor cycles etc must have its own coverage. Good Luck!

Nuhklz
11-17-2003, 10:43 AM
i just called my homeowners and could the run around...

called the agent and they said that i have to call the actual insurance company, but she said she had never heard of homeowners covering a vehical... that is what automobile insurance is for...

so i am SHAKING RIGHT NOW

i called the acutal insurance and filed a claim... and that lady didnt know aything, she just said an adjuster will be calling me in 48 hours...

so i am scared out of my mind... i dont know
Sorry to hear:mad:. I can't believe that people that were hanging out at your house partying would have the gall to come back and take your s%#t.

If your garage door opener was stolen from the jeep, make sure you change the code so it can't be used a second time.

Good luck.

Larry

scott015
11-17-2003, 10:48 AM
I have AllState homeowners and they said anything that has its own title ie cars, boats, atv, motor cycles etc must have its own coverage. Good Luck!

so basically i am screwed? my homeowners wont cover this? man i wanna die right now... i cant pay $200 a month for something i dont even have.....

Silver_2000
11-17-2003, 10:49 AM
Never had a bike - Is it normal to run with just liability ??

Doug

scott015
11-17-2003, 10:55 AM

Doug

its pretty common because its like $300/month for full coverage vs $300/year for liability

L8 APEX
11-17-2003, 10:55 AM
I would have whooped those shits the second they stepped in my house! Stealing the gear was very unprofessional of them. Sissy's friend or not, if they look like trouble GONE!:flaming: . Andrew and I chain our bikes down nightly. They are supereasy to steal. I always carry comp it is mandatory if you want to get paid. I had a buddy that had no insurance when his F4 got stolen from his apt. gated lot. He owed 7K on it still, like you he refused to pay for a stoclen bike. It went on his credit as an auto loan charge off and now he is screwed.

min150mph
11-17-2003, 10:57 AM

Doug
Yes, since full coverage is soooo expensive.

I know my home insurance will cover some titled vehicles, such as an enclosed trailer I used to have and such, so Good Luck!!!

scott015
11-17-2003, 11:02 AM
man i am so worried, i cant belive this.... so do you think im screwed? i mean, do you think i will get this covered by homeowners or not?? if not, what the hell do I do??? i have good credit as of right now... so what are my options??

the loan is not a regular 3yr/$200 month type of loan like most cars are... it was some special suzuki was doing where it was $0down, 0intrest for 6 months type of thing... and its a STUPID idea for buyers... its basically a credit card with high intrest... i even have a suzuki credit card...

basically... do you think homeowners will cover it since it was stolen OUT OF MY HOUSE... if not, what do I do?

my2002lightning
11-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Scott,

Back in 2000, my brand-new '00 F-150 (first vehicle I ever bought) was stolen from me after my 3rd. pmt. They found it a month later in north Tulsa TOTALLY TRASHED out.

The parents and I had been with State Farm for years with full cvg. on EVERYTHING (I'm with All State now) and they actually investigate ME as being involved, b/c, according to their statistics, SOME people have a scam where they hire people to steal their stuff....

I got another brand-new F150 and not but a week after having it in my apt. parking lot, I noticed foot prints in the bed, hand prints on the back sliding glass and slim-jim scrapes on my side window glass.

Needless to say, I got outta' there. (61st & Memorial in Tulsa).

I feel for you though. Hang in there! :tu:

Also, SF told me that if I had homeowners/renters insurance, the stolen items INSIDE my truck would've been covered. Not sure how TX insurance laws are, though.

Ronald

microsuck
11-17-2003, 11:10 AM
dude! that sux, big time. Out of the garrage and everything. I wouldent deal with the cops if it were me. I would just make a house call with a few of my "toys" in hand. Better get them before it gets sold on ebay. You are SO LUCKY you at least have a solid idea who it was. thats a HUGE lead. also, as for the insurance, I had a bike in our barn when it burnt down and (we had mega-coverage on the barn) they said that even though it was a parts bike and hadnt even run in 5 years that it had to be covered under auto insurance. I guess if I had listed all the parts separately instead of assembleded on the bike, they might have covered it. And Doug, there is some stat out there for bike insurance. It says to the effect of, 60% of riders have neither insurance or license, and of the 40% that are covered, 36% are lib only.
Andrew

Nuhklz
11-17-2003, 11:12 AM
Hindsight is always 2/20.

On my new L I installed a Lojack with early warning system. If my truck is started without me in it, I get a telephone call, I notify the police and they activate the homing device installed in the truck. There's over a 90% recovery rate wihin minutes for vehicle that have a Lojack.

I realize your bike wasn't started but the moment you realized it was gone, the cops can activate the device themselves and track it.

Plus, it lowered my insurance by 30%.

microsuck
11-17-2003, 11:14 AM
the loan is not a regular 3yr/$200 month type of loan like most cars are... it was some special suzuki was doing where it was $0down, 0intrest for 6 months type of thing... and its a STUPID idea for buyers... its basically a credit card with high intrest... i even have a suzuki credit card...

I dont see how they let you make payments on a bike without having full coverage. they made me do that for my truck and I think its a state law.
Andrew

scott015
11-17-2003, 11:16 AM
I dont see how they let you make payments on a bike without having full coverage. they made me do that for my truck and I think its a state law.
Andrew

they said under $10,000 you are not required to have full coverage

L8 APEX
11-17-2003, 11:29 AM
When I was 18 Dairyland Ins quoted me full coverage @ 18K a year for my 900, that is why everyone rode 600's because that is the largest they could afford ins. Comp is the msot expensive part at a minimum I would get liab, and theft/fire. I had it on my quad racer and it paid off when a guy bought it with a counterfeit Cashier's check in 2001.

PoorSvtman
11-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Man that sucks a$$! I hope everything works out. Have you drove by the thugs house yet?

scott015
11-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Man that sucks a$$! I hope everything works out. Have you drove by the thugs house yet?

well i got a bunch of my boys got my back... and i know where the guys live. and my friends said they would be MORE than happy to come with me and jump them or hell, some of my friends said they will shoot them if i want... but i guess i am just a pu@@y... i dont really wanna resort to that... if i was a single man, i would NO QUESTION already have done that... but since I have a wife and a 3 year old son.... i just dont wanna take anymore chances... its not worth it to me to go kick their ass and then something happen to my son....

but this HAS made me want to get a gun.... i am thinking of going to Academy and buying a handgun just to have for protection and taking a class.... i dont know ONE THING about guns though... anyone have suggestion on that sort of thing?

scott015
11-17-2003, 11:47 AM
the detective is supposed to call me today, and ill give him the whole story along with the 3 kids that i think were involved.... i have their names and where they live...

what will the detective do at that point? im assuming if these kids did it, they dont just have my bike sitting at their house (but who knows)... they took to a chop shop or something and sold all the parts.... and when the cops show at their house and they dont have anything... then what? nothing will happen to them??? thats messed up....

microsuck
11-17-2003, 11:53 AM
the detective is supposed to call me today, and ill give him the whole story along with the 3 kids that i think were involved.... i have their names and where they live...

what will the detective do at that point? im assuming if these kids did it, they dont just have my bike sitting at their house (but who knows)... they took to a chop shop or something and sold all the parts.... and when the cops show at their house and they dont have anything... then what? nothing will happen to them??? thats messed up....well, if you need any firearms I have quite a collection I have been unloading(pun intended) for the past year of so. I would go get that damn thing NOW before it gets cut up and sold. I cant see why you havent done anything yet! if you just go overthere and say hey, I know you took my bike, give it back NOW and I wont murder you and your family. they will comply

L8 APEX
11-17-2003, 11:59 AM
These kids have shown their stupidity before giving back the jacket so who knows.. I had to beg the cops to take a report on my quad. I believe if an atv, or bike is stolen it is gone:( . 2.5 years and not a peep of mine. Sad that this thread has gone ot the gun store:hammer: . I would hate it if those kids took my gun instread of my riding gear. For home defense I would reccomend a shotgun 18.5" barrel and OO or 4 buck. Easy to use and sweeps a hallway in one pass. Pistols miss especially in the dark and without a lot of training. With 4 buck you get less over penetration through interior walls. Prevention is the best defense system.

dboat
11-17-2003, 12:54 PM
Sorry to hear about the stolen bike.. I tried to get my bike covered by homeowners and they told me that it has to have its own policy. I am guessing that it aint covered. Sorry, hope you get it back soon..
Dana

99WhiteBeast
11-17-2003, 05:04 PM
well i got a bunch of my boys got my back... and i know where the guys live. and my friends said they would be MORE than happy to come with me and jump them or hell, some of my friends said they will shoot them if i want... but i guess i am just a pu@@y... i dont really wanna resort to that... if i was a single man, i would NO QUESTION already have done that... but since I have a wife and a 3 year old son.... i just dont wanna take anymore chances... its not worth it to me to go kick their ass and then something happen to my son....

but this HAS made me want to get a gun.... i am thinking of going to Academy and buying a handgun just to have for protection and taking a class.... i dont know ONE THING about guns though... anyone have suggestion on that sort of thing?
Scott,
I know you're pissed and not thinking clearly but let the police handle this- its not worth it in the long run. Remember they now where you live and it will only escalate things IMO.

jcblack
11-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Scott,
I know you're pissed and not thinking clearly but let the police handle this- its not worth it in the long run. Remember they now where you live and it will only escalate things IMO.
I agree with Steve. Let the cops handle it. It would be different if they didnt know where you live.

microsuck
11-17-2003, 07:53 PM
I agree with Steve. Let the cops handle it. It would be different if they didnt know where you live.well, maybe I am just imature, but I will be damned if I am afraid of a few high school kids. I would rather risk that than risk my bike being gone before the cops could do anything or risk not getting paid by the ins co.

jcblack
11-17-2003, 08:01 PM
well, maybe I am just imature, but I will be damned if I am afraid of a few high school kids. I would rather risk that than risk my bike being gone before the cops could do anything or risk not getting paid by the ins co.
I think that scott is thinking more of his wife and childs safety, then his bike. Priorities come first.

blueoval01
11-17-2003, 08:27 PM
I think that scott is thinking more of his wife and childs safety, then his bike. Priorities come first. Yep, good move. Garage Door Openers should NOT be left in a vehilcle.

microsuck
11-17-2003, 08:38 PM
I think that scott is thinking more of his wife and childs safety, then his bike. Priorities come first.good call, I dont have any of those to worry about.

03LightningRocks
11-17-2003, 09:28 PM
good call, I dont have any of those to worry about.

Scott,

I don't know if this will help you or not. A few months ago, my 16' trailer was jacked from the parking lot at my office/warehouse. I did not have any kind of coverage on it. My theft insurance at the office covered it.

The insurance company tried the same song and dance with me about auto insurance. I then said it isn't ant auto mobile. They then said I didn't have it specified. I said I also don't have my desk, computer or lamps specified. They paid the claim.

Ask them if someone broke into your house and stole a four wheel drive ATV, would it be covered...of fricking coarse it would.

It is my humble opinion that they are just attempting to get you to file it on auto insurance first. They will cover it if your persistant but reasonable.

Try the recreational toy angle.

Good Luck,

Rocks

Silver_2000
11-17-2003, 10:25 PM
Yep, good move. Garage Door Openers should NOT be left in a vehilcle.
Come on who takes thier Garage door opener in the house with them ?

L8 APEX
11-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Come on who takes thier Garage door opener in the house with them ?I don't keep one in outside vehicles. I rotate the opener in whatever I am parking in the garage. But my garage is forward facign so if I park out side I use the front door.

03LightningRocks
11-17-2003, 10:30 PM
Come on who takes thier Garage door opener in the house with them ?
I did once. We where all headed out for a two week trip and I happened to look up and see it. It just suddenly hit me. Hey, someone could bust into my house with that damn thing.

Both of the vehicles with openers are typically in the garage. But to be honest, I don't know that the opener would be the first thing on my mind if I parked outside.

Rocks

L8 APEX
11-17-2003, 10:37 PM
Another note is to lock the door inside the garage to the house.

99WhiteBeast
11-17-2003, 10:38 PM
well, maybe I am just imature, but I will be damned if I am afraid of a few high school kids. I would rather risk that than risk my bike being gone before the cops could do anything or risk not getting paid by the ins co.
Not trying to slam you here Andrew but lets say he takes matters into his own hands. He goes over to the alleged perp's house and beats the living @#$% out of him, doesn't recover nada, and also gets assault charges filed on him.

Maybe this ends up in a civil court one day to recover some of the monies he is out on the bike (not likely but possible) and the assault charge comes up- don't think Judge Judy will look to favorable on Scott.

99WhiteBeast
11-17-2003, 10:41 PM
Another note is to lock the door inside the garage to the house.
Another good idea:tu:
I recently put a switch which cuts the power to the outlet the garage door opener is plugged into for security purposes. - Thanks to Hugh Jeffner for his quality electrical work:bows

L8 APEX
11-17-2003, 10:51 PM
I recently put a switch which cuts the power to the outlet the garage door opener is plugged into for security purposes. - Thanks to Hugh Jeffner for his quality electrical work:bowsWe know why the switch is on there Steve, AKA Diggler:banana:

03LightningRocks
11-17-2003, 10:54 PM
I recently put a switch which cuts the power to the outlet the garage door opener is plugged into for security purposes. - Thanks to Hugh Jeffner for his quality electrical work:bows
My inside control has a "lock" switch on it. The problem is that it will still open the door if you push the inside control.

Then you get home and the damned thing won't let you in using the remote.:hammer:

microsuck
11-17-2003, 11:55 PM
Come on who takes thier Garage door opener in the house with them ?our trucks have that handy lil compartment for the openers and you dont even have to open it to his the button, you just press the door. that way its out of sight. one clipped to the visor is a dead give away

microsuck
11-18-2003, 12:09 AM
Not trying to slam you here Andrew but lets say he takes matters into his own hands. He goes over to the alleged perp's house and beats the living @#$% out of him, doesn't recover nada, and also gets assault charges filed on him.

Maybe this ends up in a civil court one day to recover some of the monies he is out on the bike (not likely but possible) and the assault charge comes up- don't think Judge Judy will look to favorable on Scott.well, i guess it just boils down to a man just has to do what he feels is right. Some people handle things differently. not saying either way is right or wrong, just a matter of personal preference. My methods are a bit unorthodox. But then again, none of my **** ever gets stolen.

blueoval01
11-18-2003, 09:49 AM
Come on who takes thier Garage door opener in the house with them ? If any one of our vehicles is not put in the garage, the opener comes in. Regardless of the time of day.

scott015
11-18-2003, 09:53 AM
well as many of you know, i got my truck on Friday night.... the wifes jeep and my bike have ALWAYS been secured in my garage... but when I got the truck, i hadnt cleaned out the garage yet... so i put the truck #1 priority to be in garage and left wifes jeep in driveway... and the jeep is somewhat similar to the Ls it has that thing up top that shows outside temp, mpg, etc... and next to the sunroof buttons, it has buttons for your garage door, lights, gate, etc

so i didnt leave a genie opener in my car, it was just programed into the jeep itself...

Nuhklz
11-18-2003, 10:13 AM
well as many of you know, i got my truck on Friday night.... the wifes jeep and my bike have ALWAYS been secured in my garage... but when I got the truck, i hadnt cleaned out the garage yet... so i put the truck #1 priority to be in garage and left wifes jeep in driveway... and the jeep is somewhat similar to the Ls it has that thing up top that shows outside temp, mpg, etc... and next to the sunroof buttons, it has buttons for your garage door, lights, gate, etc

so i didnt leave a genie opener in my car, it was just programed into the jeep itself...
Amazing how one little piece of information negates half the dialogue in a thread :d

03LightningRocks
11-18-2003, 10:59 AM
Scott,

I don't know if this will help you or not. A few months ago, my 16' trailer was jacked from the parking lot at my office/warehouse. I did not have any kind of coverage on it. My theft insurance at the office covered it.

The insurance company tried the same song and dance with me about auto insurance. I then said it isn't ant auto mobile. They then said I didn't have it specified. I said I also don't have my desk, computer or lamps specified. They paid the claim.

Ask them if someone broke into your house and stole a four wheel drive ATV, would it be covered...of fricking coarse it would.

It is my humble opinion that they are just attempting to get you to file it on auto insurance first. They will cover it if your persistant but reasonable.

Try the recreational toy angle.

Good Luck,

Rocks

Enough with dad gumned garage door openers then. Here ya go, back on topic.

Rocks