PDA

View Full Version : Bobby the tranny slayer

L8 APEX
11-26-2003, 12:02 AM
Cograts Dude, you have torn a tranny up beyond even my capable hands:bows . There is not one good clutch or steel left in the box:eek2: . From overdrive to low-reverse they are all smoked:banana: . This is due to slippage and heat probably experienced before you ever owned the truck. I am havign to replace some hard parts that got scored up. It will likely be next week due to the extensive rebuild that must take place. You won't even recognize your truck with the new trans in it:tu: I will post some pics tomorrow.

tliss
11-26-2003, 06:59 AM
I am impressed by anyone that can burn up the reverse gear in their tranny!!:bows :bows

Tom

bobbywade69
11-26-2003, 08:17 AM
What the hell was this guy do with my truck before I bought it.:flaming: I think he was hitting the bottle hard!:burnout: :hammer: :evil NowI see why he traded it in.:bs Well I'm glad I have the best L turner to fix it for me I can't wit till I get it back may be I'll have a 12 sec truck!:nana2

Alpine
11-26-2003, 06:35 PM
What the hell was this guy do with my truck before I bought it.:flaming: I think he was hitting the bottle hard!:burnout: :hammer: :evil NowI see why he traded it in.:bs Well I'm glad I have the best L turner to fix it for me I can't wit till I get it back may be I'll have a 12 sec truck!:nana2 The few times I have followed Bobby, he was sideways most of the way!:rll: Make it strong Terry, make it strong.:tu:

bobbywade69
11-26-2003, 08:06 PM
Only when it was wet I could get side ways.

bobbywade69
11-26-2003, 10:41 PM
So what hard parts did u have to replace, do u have any pics yet of the carnage.:throw:

L8 APEX
11-27-2003, 12:09 AM
I busted arse getting cars out today, no pics. It needs a new intermediate assy, all steels and some bushings and other misc parts.

L8 APEX
11-28-2003, 02:40 AM
Here are some pics.

These are the intermediates there are only 3 frictions in a stock setup. The frictions have teeth on the inside and the steels have teeth on the outside. Notice the top friction I had to cut off of the intermediate sprag. It is supposed to be golden brown but has been worn down to BARE steel and then some. The other frictions were going to steel as well. This is why you had weak 1-2 applys. A friction is a this steel with organic material bonded to each side. These are the worst I have seen, next to my Level Ten single sided intermediates.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15Intermediates.jpg
Here are the forwards and the directs they have gotten hot and been slipping. You can tell by the burnt friction material and the blue hot spots and warping of the steels. These clutch packs are what move the vehicle forward after the shift has occured. The Lightning makes such power that it can hide an early slip and you never know it. Just like when the Fridge project truck got a rebuild. They thought the stock one was fine until they drove the rebuild and gained time in the quarter.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15Forward.jpg
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15Directs.jpg

bobbywade69
11-28-2003, 01:27 PM
The old man ran over the exaust system yesterday morning:burnout: with his truck while it was sitting on the ground in front of the garge, I think its time for glasses!:eek2: