PDA

View Full Version : Got Ripped Off!!!!!!!

03'svtlight
11-26-2003, 11:17 AM
When I first purchased my L', I was just like everybody else when they got theirs. Couldn't wait to start tweakin' on it. I didnt know the "L'Tuner" a the time (even though he's walking distance from me). So Im off to different websites, ya'know, looking at different go-fast goodies. I gathered that the pulley & spark plugs (TR6's) go hand and hand. So I called JDM and ordered some. Thinking this was some special plug for US, I didnt mind the $40.00 it costs. Yesterday Im in O'Reilly's on wheatland buying oil, and I just happened to ask the guy, "have you ever heard of an NGK TR6???" He checked his comp. "Yeah, we got 16 off'um!!" "Oh yeah?? How much??" "$1.49 ea" WWWWWHHHHAAAAATTTT?????????????!!!!!!!!! I think I spent 12 bucks on something I sent off for 40. Thats a damn shame. They are straight up rippin' people. So if anyone needs plugs you know where they are at and for how much..... :flaming:

George G.
11-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Ya know, I would LIKE to say that's unbelievable, but it really isn't. Every other Gen2 hi-po part is rediculously over priced. Why not include the plugs. Of course, since these are NGK's, I'm wondering if anyone else thought to check the local part stores. You sure these are the same? That's a pretty hefty markup!:nono:

03'svtlight
11-26-2003, 11:36 AM
Ya know, I would LIKE to say that's unbelievable, but it really isn't. Every other Gen2 hi-po part is rediculously over priced. Why not include the plugs. Of course, since these are NGK's, I'm wondering if anyone else thought to check the local part stores. You sure these are the same? That's a pretty hefty markup!:nono:
yep they are .got 8 of'um on my shelf :tu:

PoorSvtman
11-26-2003, 11:53 AM
OF course there gonna jack the price up. If you think about it, they probly dont get them from orielys. So the place they get them from has a higher price, then in order for the shop to gain a profit even if its only $1.00 they are gonna raise the price that they paid for the plugs. IF they get them delieverd to them, they probly get charged for that plus the cost of the plugs. So in the end there just trying to get back what they lost buying them.

Thats how its been done at most of the dealerships and the one import shop i have worked at.

For example- I work on rvs. I needed a part that no onelocal had but autozone. I have to go through parts for anything i need. Cost of the part was say 20 bucks, then to have one of our drivers go pick it up the price just raised up since we have to pay him. Then our parts department bought it and to gain profit they raise the price again. So that 20 part ended up costing almost twice of what it started out as.

microsuck
11-26-2003, 01:08 PM
if anyone finds denso it22's for that price Please Post. That what I run. DAMN GOOD PLUG. The best for my setup.

SILVER2000SVT
11-26-2003, 01:35 PM
I ended up buying my TR6's and the Racing Zone in Arlington for $20+tax,

Logan
11-26-2003, 04:02 PM
I ended up buying my TR6's and the Racing Zone in Arlington for $20+tax,JDM has historically relied on people's ignorance to pay his ridiculously inflated prices.

A man after my own heart...

wesman
11-26-2003, 05:09 PM
OF course there gonna jack the price up. If you think about it, they probly dont get them from orielys. So the place they get them from has a higher price, then in order for the shop to gain a profit even if its only $1.00 they are gonna raise the price that they paid for the plugs. IF they get them delieverd to them, they probly get charged for that plus the cost of the plugs. So in the end there just trying to get back what they lost buying them.

Thats how its been done at most of the dealerships and the one import shop i have worked at.

For example- I work on rvs. I needed a part that no onelocal had but autozone. I have to go through parts for anything i need. Cost of the part was say 20 bucks, then to have one of our drivers go pick it up the price just raised up since we have to pay him. Then our parts department bought it and to gain profit they raise the price again. So that 20 part ended up costing almost twice of what it started out as.
Nope...you can buy them directly from the manufacturer for $1.xx each

They do the same with the Gatorback belts....charging $40-50 for them, you can get them all day long at Autozone for $20-25 bucks

--wes

L8 APEX
11-26-2003, 10:06 PM
You can thank me for ORiley's stocking them. That is the location we use for the shop. I have them stock blower belts, plugs, and misc goodies special to the Lightnings:beer: . As for price I have to keep the doors open some how. I have been selling TR6's for $25 a set.

PoorSvtman
11-27-2003, 01:56 AM
Nope...you can buy them directly from the manufacturer for $1.xx each

They do the same with the Gatorback belts....charging $40-50 for them, you can get them all day long at Autozone for $20-25 bucks

--wes

Maybe he dosent buy them directly from manufacturer. :cool: . I was just giving an example of why they might be overpriced. All i know is that at work a $20 part can end up being twice that if we have to go pick it up at another dealership or parts store.

But you can get gatorback belts for 20-25 bucks? Man the autozone out in burleson said they were like 45 bucks. :confused: . I knew i shouldnt have gone to there on my lunch hour. Im gonna have to stick with my usual autozone out here in arlington.

03LightningRocks
11-28-2003, 01:31 AM
That sure does explain why old Jimbo switched to pushing the NGK's. I wouldn't kid myself and think he paid more for them than you can buy them for.

If they cost 1.50 each at the auto parts store...he paid maybe .85 a piece for them.

I have been searching for the Denso's every since I read your post. It looks like Denso doesn't give a big break like that on it's plugs. I guess making a 32 dollar profit on every set of plugs you sell would motivate anyone to proclaim them the best...LMAO. How about the rest of the tuners...how many of them are pushing the high profit plug as if it where better. What a bunch of :Bullshit .

Let's all remember this little lesson the next time a tuner recommends one brand or item over the other. Let's all remember to ask ourselves...."what's this ass clowns motivation". Let's all remember to do some research beyond asking tuner A over tuner B. Check some sources beyond the other "sheep" that are risking neck injuries with their heads stuck up their favorite tuners ass.

Damn shame....if ya ask me.

Thanks for the heads up.

Here is one in return....the 2003 Cobra PCV is less than 9 bucks at Middlekauf Ford. The "oil to the supercharger" mod cost me exactly 8.96 cents...including tax and the dime to stick in the tube.
(One difference with this mod, I will mention, is that at least in this case your paying extra for the fellow that came up with the fix. Jimbo did not invent the spark plug)

Rocks:flaming:

Silver_2000
11-28-2003, 02:07 AM
Jeesh
At the risk of sounding like a sheep...
Which tuners sell plugs at the same price they buy them for ?
For that matter which A/C vendors sell parts/labor for the same price they buy them for ?

Time to burst some bubbles - The 12 sec decals I sell for $10 dont cost $10 to make. And it wasnt even my idea. BUT if you want to find a vendor to make them and then buy them 100 at a time then advertise them on the web and finally pack and ship them for free knock yourself out. Most people DONT. You end up paying for the idea or the advice or the convenience ....

JDM site - 8 for $32
REM site - not listed
PSP site - 8 for $20
JLP site - Not listed
outrageousperformance - 8 for $19.95
Orielly - 8 for $11.92
Sparkplug Warehouse - 8 for Less than $8 I bet

If I make 4 stops to 4 parts stores looking for the plugs how much in gas, oil, maintenance, insurance and tires does that cost me ?

Funny everyone is charging SIGNIFICANTLY more than the parts store and the parts store is charging significantly more that the vendor BUT The one that gets most attention is JDM......

My $0.02 In my typical insulting butthole fashion

03LightningRocks
11-28-2003, 03:03 AM
Jeesh
At the risk of sounding like a sheep...
Which tuners sell plugs at the same price they buy them for ?
For that matter which A/C vendors sell parts/labor for the same price they buy them for ?

Time to burst some bubbles - The 12 sec decals I sell for $10 dont cost $10 to make. And it wasnt even my idea. BUT if you want to find a vendor to make them and then buy them 100 at a time then advertise them on the web and finally pack and ship them for free knock yourself out. Most people DONT. You end up paying for the idea or the advice or the convenience ....

JDM site - 8 for $32
REM site - not listed
PSP site - 8 for $20
JLP site - Not listed
outrageousperformance - 8 for $19.95
Orielly - 8 for $11.92
Sparkplug Warehouse - 8 for Less than $8 I bet

If I make 4 stops to 4 parts stores looking for the plugs how much in gas, oil, maintenance, insurance and tires does that cost me ?

Funny everyone is charging SIGNIFICANTLY more than the parts store and the parts store is charging significantly more that the vendor BUT The one that gets most attention is JDM......

LOL.....He must have finally gotten you that free tune set up.:throw:
Yes, we all make a profit...in everything we do. That is acceptable and expected.

It is an honesty and trust issue. I bet nobody ask him "what plug gives you the best profit margin"? So when any vendor recommends a part, soley on the basis of profit margin, while pretending they believe this part is best, I feel that trust is in question.

JDM came up for me because he PRETENDS that this plug is the best, when in fact he is actually recommending it because it is his highest profit plug.

Back to the actual point of my comments....Seems the "vendors" don't always have the customers interest at heart....but all claim they do.

One more little comment Doug. Your not bursting my bubble. I would think your a complete idiot if you sold those stickers for your cost. But if you start selling them for $40.00 and telling me that it will improve the way my truck drives, I will then question your motivation.

Rocks:eek2:

98Cobra
11-28-2003, 03:19 AM
Jeesh
BUT The one that gets most attention is JDM......

Well, to be fair though, he is probably the most high profile guy out there. We all(ok, most of is) now know you can buy the line mod valve for a LOT cheaper than JDM has it for. I don't expect any tuner to sell for cost, but at some point the markup goes from f'ing you in the ass to an all out prison gang rape. :rll:

Knowing the difference is the name of the game. :cool:

:D

George G.
11-28-2003, 10:09 AM
.....I don't expect any tuner to sell for cost, but at some point the markup goes from f'ing you in the ass to an all out prison gang rape. :rll:

Knowing the difference is the name of the game. :cool:

:D
Werd!

Silver_2000
11-28-2003, 10:31 AM
LOL.....He must have finally gotten you that free tune set up.:throw:
JDM came up for me because he PRETENDS that this plug is the best, when in fact he is actually recommending it because it is his highest profit plug.

Back to the actual point of my comments....Seems the "vendors" don't always have the customers interest at heart....but all claim they do.

Rocks:eek2:I am still waiting for chip promised in May ....

For you to say he pretends suggests that you KNOW that he thinks that some other plug is better but sells and uses the NGKs simply for the profit ....

You have no way of knowing what the motivation is behind those decisions.
You are expressing your opinion then damning him based on that opinion.

He uses the NGKs in all his trucks. In fact I cant think of a single serious HP truck that uses anything else. I know of no one in the 600 hp range using Iridiums ....

Im not saying that the plugs are not priced to high - Clearly they are.
Lets talk about useless pointless mods. The breather caps, the boost bypass, the oil seperator, etc etc

So in your mind NGK is out they are not the best, Iridiums, and stock platinums are the other options. Which are you using ?

Lets talk about folks who run down the valve body to sell thier part when thier part is BASED on the same technology plus some more.

ken cryder
11-30-2003, 01:13 AM
ron your a hoot!!:bows

ken