PDA

View Full Version : Test Drove my new lightning, but

Band
12-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Test Drove my new 04 lightning, but it seemed really weak compared to my 02.

I pushed my foot into it a bit from about 15mph and it seemed a lil weak. I thought maybe it just wasn't broken in yet.

So then i tried it again from a dead stop to get the feel of the entire rpm range(which im familar with from my last lightning). Heard detonation! I thought wtf?!? Well, I HOPE that the previous dealer put regular unleaded in it (dealers traded so i could get my color).

The truck only has 78 miles on it, and to my knowledge if i can get super unleaded to run properly i shouldn't worry about current damage. But does that say anything about the timing? Can detonation make a lightning perform like a hemi?

Any input or advice is welcome.

Also lookin for a tonneau cover. Dealer wants 500 bones to add on.

Stinkbug
12-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Who and How much did you end up with? I may be looking for a new one myself.

When I picked up my 00 they filled it up with regular unleaded. Felt completly different with premium particularly this time of year.

Band
12-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Who and How much did you end up with? I may be looking for a new one myself.

When I picked up my 00 they filled it up with regular unleaded. Felt completly different with premium particularly this time of year.

That's good to hear. North Central Ford on 75 and cambell. 29.9k 2004 Talk to David Wilmoth. Tell him Ron Durham and Sayle Shipman sent ya lol.

03LightningRocks
12-11-2003, 08:34 PM

I pushed my foot into it a bit from about 15mph and it seemed a lil weak. I thought maybe it just wasn't broken in yet.

So then i tried it again from a dead stop to get the feel of the entire rpm range(which im familar with from my last lightning). Heard detonation! I thought wtf?!? Well, I HOPE that the previous dealer put regular unleaded in it (dealers traded so i could get my color).

The truck only has 78 miles on it, and to my knowledge if i can get super unleaded to run properly i shouldn't worry about current damage. But does that say anything about the timing? Can detonation make a lightning perform like a hemi?

Cripes,

Ask them if they took it over and bought premium unleaded for it. They only have regular unleaded at North Central, so they have to go to that Shell to fill her up. I hope some flunky car prep moron didn't pump it full of regular unleaded.

Rocks

Band
12-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Cripes,

Ask them if they took it over and bought premium unleaded for it. They only have regular unleaded at North Central, so they have to go to that Shell to fill her up. I hope some flunky car prep moron didn't pump it full of regular unleaded.

Rocks

I think it was the fort worth dealer that put regular dealer gas in it to drive it to north dallas. It has less than a half a tank now, David said he would make sure they took it to the station to fill it up with super.

03LightningRocks
12-11-2003, 08:38 PM
Cripes,

Rocks
Oh yeah....one more thing. No, it should not have done any damage. The motors aren't quite that delicate. I wouldn't just run all over hell and back that way, but if you get some good gas in it, things should be fine.

Mention the detonation anyway and get it noted. See what their tech says about it. There could be something causing it besides the gas.

Ron

Band
12-11-2003, 08:40 PM
Good to know.

I'll do that.

Alpine
12-11-2003, 08:57 PM

Also lookin for a tonneau cover. Dealer wants 500 bones to add on.Stay out of boost as much as possible since it is so new.:tu:

Band
12-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Stay out of boost as much as possible since it is so new.:tu:

Someone told me i should break it in hard. I'm confused now :confused:

03LightningRocks
12-11-2003, 09:20 PM
Someone told me i should break it in hard. I'm confused now :confused:

My son and I took it from the dealership and 30 minutes later he had already logged the first kill....LOL. About 10 kills later, we decided to give it a break so I took it up on 75 heading toward McKinney and took it up to 140 MPH. That was all within the first 100 miles on the odo.

She has 10K on it now and seems to be running strong.

The only reason to stay out of the boost is because of the detonation.

Rocks

tliss
12-11-2003, 09:38 PM
I recently test drove an '04 at North Central as well. I must be spoiled by my truck, because this thing felt dead. Acceleration didn't feel all that earth-shattering, shifts were mushy, couldn't even hear the exhaust, supercharger scream sounded like a 2-bit whore rather than a virgin, seat of the pants feeling wasn't as prominent. This thing had about 70 miles on it and I gave it a good first flogging for whoever gets it :tu: ! Definitely needs a few things done to it. He who drives an unmodded truck has no fun.

Tom

03LightningRocks
12-11-2003, 09:51 PM
I recently test drove an '04 at North Central as well. I must be spoiled by my truck, because this thing felt dead. Acceleration didn't feel all that earth-shattering, shifts were mushy, couldn't even hear the exhaust, supercharger scream sounded like a 2-bit whore rather than a virgin, seat of the pants feeling wasn't as prominent. This thing had about 70 miles on it and I gave it a good first flogging for whoever gets it :tu: ! Definitely needs a few things done to it. He who drives an unmodded truck has no fun.

Tom

LMAO.........What color was it????

tliss
12-11-2003, 10:27 PM
LMAO.........What color was it????
DSG.

Tom

Band
12-11-2003, 10:35 PM
DSG.

Tom

Hehe, they still have that one..... Someone knows you got a hold of it.

tliss
12-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Hehe, they still have that one..... Someone knows you got a hold of it.
Who? Am I busted?

Tom

Band
12-11-2003, 11:00 PM
Who? Am I busted?

Tom

I was just saying that is why someone won't buy it. They had a feeling you drove it :)

TP Derrick D
12-11-2003, 11:36 PM

$500 for a tonneau is a steal !!!What type is it, Snug? Reason I ask is I bought my truck at Nichols in FW and I paid almost a G to have a Snugtop put on. It came from DFW camper corral but the dealer gets discounts. When I went to DFW to "check" and see if it was a good deal they wanted about $100+ more so I let the dealer do it.Dropped it off morning, got it back that eve. What ever you do make sure the tonneau covers the entire bed rails :tu:

Band
12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
$500 for a tonneau is a steal !!!What type is it, Snug?

Its a soft tonneau hehe

My last two trucks had bed covers, both soft. I like the soft, the hard look good but too pricy. I can't seem to find an aftermarket low profile soft.

98Cobra
12-12-2003, 01:06 AM
My son and I took it from the dealership and 30 minutes later he had already logged the first kill....LOL. About 10 kills later, we decided to give it a break so I took it up on 75 heading toward McKinney and took it up to 140 MPH. That was all within the first 100 miles on the odo.

:confused: Are you saying you did 140mph on a public road??? You must be watching too many rap videos and the Fast and The Furious.

Who are you and what did you do with "take it to the track" Rocks? ;)

:tongue:

03LightningRocks
12-12-2003, 06:40 PM
:confused: Are you saying you did 140mph on a public road??? You must be watching too many rap videos and the Fast and The Furious.

Who are you and what did you do with "take it to the track" Rocks? ;)

:tongue:
That would be, "Immature, Lost his Common Sense For A moment", Rocks.

This usually happens on days when I have Coa Coa Puffs fro breakfast.

If I ever cause or see anyone get into a wreck racing with me, I will stop and render aid, though.:D

Rocks