View Full Version : Fuel Mileage

Sixpipes
12-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Drove Go_rila 1,816 miles this week on business. Fuel mileage was as follows:

No chip

1st tank / 16.0 mpg.........2nd tank / 15.7 mpg

Swanson street chip

1st tank / 16.5 mpg......2nd tank / 16.6 mpg......3rd tank / 15.6 mpg

Both times the mileage dipped below 16 mpg there was city driving involved which of course includes several gratuitous accelerations etc....

Pretty decent mileage when you consider that the Swanson street chip I run every day also has netted a 12.56 quarter mile ET. :cool:

Also, does anyone have their original front bumper license plate bracket. I got pulled over by another DPS officer yesterday and I am just getting tired of the hassle. Plus the guy was a real winner (also checked my windows for excessive tint). Almost rearended me and had to pull into the left lane to avoid a collision (hadn't even turned his lights on at the time). When did the DPS start hiring midgets? :cool:

my2002lightning
12-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Dennis,

The best I've ever achieved on the highway with NO lead-foot if 15.4 and the worst city mileage (with a lead-foot :d ) is 11.x.

I'm thinking your better highway mileage is due to stock 3.55 gears. (assuming you haven't swapped for the 3.73s)

Ronald

Sixpipes
12-13-2003, 11:07 AM
I have 3:73 gears and a 90mm MAF. :cool:

dboat
12-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Maybe this goes to show that stock isnt necessarily the best tune an L can have for gas mileage... :tongue:

go get modded...

tliss
12-13-2003, 11:30 AM
Maybe this goes to show that stock isnt necessarily the best tune an L can have for gas mileage... :tongue:

go get modded...
You tell him, Dana....he who drives an unmodded truck has no fun!

Dennis, I am really impressed by the fuel mileage you are getting. I have never checked my fuel mileage, but I would bet since my fuel curve is really rich at the lower RPM ranges and leans out in the higher RPM ranges that I am not getting nearly as good fuel mileage. When you're cruising you're normally in the lower RPM band. Hmmmm....maybe I should drive full throttle everywhere I go.....you know, to save fuel and the environment. You think the cops will buy that one when they pull me over????

Tom

dboat
12-13-2003, 11:38 AM
You tell him, Dana....he who drives an unmodded truck has no fun!

Dennis, I am really impressed by the fuel mileage you are getting. I have never checked my fuel mileage, but I would bet since my fuel curve is really rich at the lower RPM ranges and leans out in the higher RPM ranges that I am not getting nearly as good fuel mileage. When you're cruising you're normally in the lower RPM band. Hmmmm....maybe I should drive full throttle everywhere I go.....you know, to save fuel and the environment. You think the cops will buy that one when they pull me over????

Tom
Tom, you can at least try that story on the officer:rll: Officer, I was driving fast to save the environment...:rolleyes: :evil

Tom, did you get that special link I sent ya? whaddya think?

jmlay
12-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Dennis,

I have a plate bracket. Give me a call and I will get it to you. I'm in The Colony, 214-263-4755. :beer:
Headin to Hooters for lunch, Frisco, see ya.

Mike Lay

skalywags
12-13-2003, 01:44 PM
hmmm.. maybe it's time to start modding! You're not just putting this up there to convince us non modded people to start doing the mods, get us hooked on the speed, and fun of doing teh mods and draining our wallets, and then go "oops, calculator goofed. that was 10.6 MPG"?

I'm looking at chip and filter mod next month. have to take baby steps at this mod business... So i guess I start like teh littel chimp on teh new Avatar, and by the time I'm done try to work up to Go_rilla status! (Even though from what I see there will always be only one real Go_rilla!)

tliss
12-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Tom, did you get that special link I sent ya? whaddya think?
:tu: :eek2: :bows http://www.carbabeforum.com/forum/images/smilies/hitit.gifhttp://smiles.elze.ru/themes/arcadefreak.gifhttp://smiles.elze.ru/themes/sex.gif

Tom

Sixpipes
12-13-2003, 04:14 PM
It stands to reason that since the stock Lightning setup is rich, a leaner program would have some effect on gas mileage. However, the problem with the chip mod is the temptation to tear around town like a bat out-o-hell and ruin whatever improvement you made in mpg simply by driving more agressively (and believe me, it will happen). Baby steps is the way to go. :tu:

Actually, Mark #2 recently indicated that he was getting over 17 mpg so I guess that he is running a pretty lean chip also. I think he is still running the stock 3:55 gears though.

I'm sure if I had a good coat of Zaino, I would have gotten 17+ mpg. http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/lol.gif

my2002lightning
12-13-2003, 11:33 PM
It stands to reason that since the stock Lightning setup is rich, a leaner program would have some effect on gas mileage. However, the problem with the chip mod is the temptation to tear around town like a bat out-o-hell and ruin whatever improvement you made in mpg simply by driving more agressively (and believe me, it will happen). Baby steps is the way to go. :tu:

Actually, Mark #2 recently indicated that he was getting over 17 mpg so I guess that he is running a pretty lean chip also. I think he is still running the stock 3:55 gears though.

I'm sure if I had a good coat of Zaino, I would have gotten 17+ mpg. http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/lol.gif
Dennis,

As to the STOCK L program being rich, I can Mother's stainless-treatment the h#ll out of Terry's/PR tips and in like a day or 2, they're BLACK on the inside. (No official A/F readings from a dyno session)

As to Zaino and airflow-drag coefficents, that's a little over my head, but I'm sure Mark can put some #s together! :tu:

Also, while on the topic of mileage, etc. today I've done some "field" testing regarding fuel-guage readings/fuel tank capacity and found out that when the gauge reads EMPTY (and I mean "E") ...you still have 2.5 gallons of 93 left.

.... I wasn't watching my guages back from Mom/Dad's today. :D

Ronald

tliss
12-13-2003, 11:56 PM
Don't encourage him, Dennis :nono:

Tom

Flats Man
12-14-2003, 05:47 AM
I like the "Christmas Bra" on Go_rila!

Mark #2
12-18-2003, 06:08 PM
Quote"Also, does anyone have their original front bumper license plate bracket. I got pulled over by another DPS officer yesterday and I am just getting tired of the hassle."

This is why I have had a front bracket...pulled over by the Richardson Police on the way home from the dealer without it. This made my decision pretty easy early on.

Yes, my chip is very lean below 3k RPMs, check out my dyno sheets for the exact numbers. Still working on a better tune.

Mark