PDA

View Full Version : driver's side leak?

STEALTH02
12-14-2003, 12:11 PM
I have what sounds like an exhaust leak that comes from the driver's side header. Ever since I installed the headers I've had this sound and it only comes from the driver's side. I've read many threads about plugs so I've checked/changed them (consistently) as well as the header bolts. It's only heard under load, I'm now beginning to wonder if it's piston slap or could it be something with the EGR tube? Sorry for the long first post, any ideas? :confused:

PoorSvtman
12-14-2003, 02:41 PM
I have what sounds like an exhaust leak that comes from the driver's side header. Ever since I installed the headers I've had this sound and it only comes from the driver's side. I've read many threads about plugs so I've checked/changed them (consistently) as well as the header bolts. It's only heard under load, I'm now beginning to wonder if it's piston slap or could it be something with the EGR tube? Sorry for the long first post, any ideas? :confused:

What headers did you install? I have the same type of leak with my bassani headers. Cant hear it ad idle put when put in drive or reverse and start to go i can hear it. While cruising on the highway cant realy hear it but when i give her more gas to pass someone i can hear it. Since im lazy i havent realy hunted it down :hammer:

cpeapea
12-14-2003, 03:30 PM
my kooks will leak a tad. header bolts are known to work themselves loose and require retorqueing. make sure you torque them in the right pattern too

dboat
12-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Dont know if this applies, but when I had my 5.0 Stang, I put those Stage 8 locking bolts on my headers and never had a leak.. just a thought..

Dana

STEALTH02
12-14-2003, 05:31 PM
my kooks will leak a tad. header bolts are known to work themselves loose and require retorqueing. make sure you torque them in the right pattern too

I also have the Kooks, by torqueing did you mean with power tools? I just tightened them as much as I could with a wrench or socket, how can you torque them down good?

PoorSvtman
12-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Dont know if this applies, but when I had my 5.0 Stang, I put those Stage 8 locking bolts on my headers and never had a leak.. just a thought..

Dana

I was going to try those. All i know is that the bolts that are on there now are have a 12point head, i think. The points are very small. Im afraid to touch them and round or break them.

dboat
12-14-2003, 08:35 PM
I was going to try those. All i know is that the bolts that are on there now are have a 12point head, i think. The points are very small. Im afraid to touch them and round or break them.
Soak them with a penetrating lubricant and then give it a try... :tu:

03'svtlight
12-14-2003, 10:45 PM
I also have the Kooks, by torqueing did you mean with power tools? I just tightened them as much as I could with a wrench or socket, how can you torque them down good?
never,ever use a power tool on a header bolt!!!! :hammer: You are just asking for trouble. First figure out if you do in fact have a loose bolt. Arm strength is sometimes too much, so if needed, a little bit of lock-tite could help. :tu:

STEALTH02
12-18-2003, 11:13 AM
What's the friendliest dealer near Irving? (not Westway)