PDA

View Full Version : Blown plugs ?

SVTDAVE
12-15-2003, 03:11 PM
I read a lot of posts about the importance of checking the plugs, anyone know if Ford changed the heads in 2003/2004 ?
Lovin my new L :nana2

Band
12-15-2003, 04:51 PM
I read a lot of posts about the importance of checking the plugs, anyone know if Ford changed the heads in 2003/2004 ?
Lovin my new L :nana2

Don't take my word for it, but you would think if they redesigned the heads, they would have changed the stats of the engine. Whether its hp/tq or even compression.

03LightningRocks
12-15-2003, 07:44 PM
The only change they made to the heads in 03/04 was they added more threads for the spark plugs. They are still aluminum and can still be stretched and/or stripped if you don't follow some basic guidlines in plug care.

Rocks:beer:

Frank02L
12-15-2003, 07:51 PM
The only change they made to the heads in 03/04 was they added more threads for the spark plugs. They are still aluminum and can still be stretched and/or stripped if you don't follow some basic guidlines in plug care.

Glad other people feel the way I do about these new heads.

SVTDAVE
12-16-2003, 07:44 AM

Thanks, I will be checking my plugs on a regular basis but it's good to know there are more threads in there. :beer:

Moonshine
12-16-2003, 02:13 PM
They are still aluminum and can still be stretched and/or stripped if you don't follow some basic guidlines in plug care.

I assume those basic guidelines you refer to are the ones that are so basic that they aren't even mentioned in the owner's manual or the SVT supplement? :bs
Not BS on you, but BS on Ford for not addressing this known problem.

03LightningRocks
12-16-2003, 09:13 PM
I assume those basic guidelines you refer to are the ones that are so basic that they aren't even mentioned in the owner's manual or the SVT supplement? :bs
Not BS on you, but BS on Ford for not addressing this known problem.

Not that I am defending Ford and the screwed up thread issue, but most auto repair manuals do get pretty specific about how to deal with aluminum heads and the issues of plug tightening/changing procedures.

I think the reasons they don't go into detail in the owners manual are the same ones they don't give details on changing oil, tranny fluid, belts or other repair related issues. They are using the space to recommend intervals to have proffesional service done. I think the natural assumption is that the owner will either know how to do the repairs or seek pro assistance.

Again, I am not trying to defend the B.S. plug set up. I am actually screwed by the problem times 6. That's how many 2000 up, Ford, plug spitting vehicles I get to worry about.