PDA

View Full Version : Used 99 lightning Question

travis5000_99
12-16-2003, 10:55 AM
I am about to purchase a RED 99 lightning with 45k on it. I was wondering if there is anything to look out for on these trucks. I have never owned a lightning but has been a dream of mine to & I am now in a position to get one & I dont want to be surprised about anything.
Also I am a big power nut, but I dont like to compromise the realabilty of my daily driver. I know these trucks are powerfull, but are they reliable?!?! Even with almost 50K on them?!?!
Thanks for everyones help
Travis

PoorSvtman
12-16-2003, 12:32 PM
I am about to purchase a RED 99 lightning with 45k on it. I was wondering if there is anything to look out for on these trucks. I have never owned a lightning but has been a dream of mine to & I am now in a position to get one & I dont want to be surprised about anything.
Also I am a big power nut, but I dont like to compromise the realabilty of my daily driver. I know these trucks are powerfull, but are they reliable?!?! Even with almost 50K on them?!?!
Travis

I have about 71k on 99 L and still running strong.

Basicly look for the usual things such as oil leaks,etc. The 99-00 had leaking intercooler problem i believe so ask if the recall on it was ever done.

Moonshine
12-16-2003, 02:09 PM
I believe that I have the highest mileage Gen II in TALON. My '00 has 86K miles on it to date, and other than one :vomit: 'ed spark plug, it has been reliable, so far.

Crawford
12-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Yes, most importantly make sure it has had the intercooler recall performed on it. Maybe someone else can chime in on how to verify if the recall has been done on that truck. I think they put a sticker under the hood somewhere if it has. You might be able to get the VIN number and take it to a Ford dealership where they can check the computer to see if its been done but I think the OASIS records only go back 6 months. Good luck.

travis5000_99
12-16-2003, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the info, I also was wondering were there any major changes in the Lightnings from 99 to 2001 ???? Is there any extra incentive to go for a 2000 or 2001 ect... I have allways wanted one of these bad boys since i was in highschool, So can these Fords HAUL ASS or what??? Im not a street racing by any means, I just like to drop the hammer every once in a while!!
Im a big chevy guy but & have mad respect for the SVT Dep. at ford, at least someone is superchargeing their cars!!!!!!!! :evil

travis5000_99
12-16-2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info, I also was wondering were there any major changes in the Lightnings from 99 to 2001 ???? Is there any extra incentive to go for a 2000 or 2001 ect... I have allways wanted one of these bad boys since i was in highschool, So can these Fords HAUL ASS or what??? Im not a street racing by any means, I just like to drop the hammer every once in a while!!
Im a big chevy guy but & have mad respect for the SVT Dep. at ford, at least someone is superchargeing their cars!!!!!!!! :evil

OH yeah, how much boost is the supercharger pushin???? Can this be tweaked, safely without comprimising reliablily!!!!

Band
12-16-2003, 02:57 PM
the 99-00 have 360 hp and 440 tq......with a 3.55? rear end.

the 01-04 have 380 hp and 450 tq......with a 3.73 rear end.

default boost for all of them is 8 lb.

Logan
12-16-2003, 03:05 PM
the 99-00 have 360 hp and 440 tq......with a 3.55? rear end.

the 01-04 have 380 hp and 450 tq......with a 3.73 rear end.

default boost for all of them is 8 lb.The 99 is also based on the "Work" truck, rather than a XLT, so the wiring harnesses are different, the exterior mirrors are black rather than body color, there's a cubby hole below the steering column, not present on the 01+ L's. No overhead console, 12mm wheel studs instead of 14mm studs, an 80mm MAF instead of a 90mm MAF... Ummm... Different bolt pattern on the lower supercharger pulley/crankshaft... There's more, but that's off the top of my head...

It's also generally accepted that the 99-00 motors are "stouter" and less prone to chucking rods out the side of the block. I beat the ever loving tar out of my 55k mile 99 and it took everything I could give it.

I've thought about picking up another one, just for giggles...since their so cheap now anyway...

Don't worry about the 99/00 power deficiency from the 01+ L's... It's VERY easily corrected with a 90mm maf, some tuning and a big honkin pulley.

Band
12-16-2003, 03:08 PM
throttle body, but i don't know the stats...

Crawford
12-16-2003, 04:26 PM
Stock boost is roughly 10psi.

98Cobra
12-16-2003, 04:43 PM
OASIS is tied to the VIN permanently - you can pull a vehicle's entire service history with it, with no expiration date.

Crawford
12-16-2003, 09:09 PM
OASIS is tied to the VIN permanently - you can pull a vehicle's entire service history with it, with no expiration date.
I would almost bet money that isnt correct. I have seen oasis reports on my old mustangs and in fact they didnt have any information past 6 months when I knew there was work done. I have asked a few service guys about OASIS and they have all told me they only keep a limited times worth of data. Recalls might be different and I could be totally wrong entirely here. :confused: (Damn sure wouldnt be the first time!)

Regardless I would have a dealership run an oasis report on any used ford I was thinking of buying.

03LightningRocks
12-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Travis

If your buying from an individual, ask them what it does in the quarter mile. If he starts bragging about great time slips................... run away.

Rocks:tu:

travis5000_99
12-17-2003, 11:14 AM
Y would the braggin matter??? U think cause they have been raggn it out?!?! I think the guy sellin it is a bit older, he has a son that is 16 I know that much. Do you think $18000 is a good deal on a 45-50k mile 99 lightning??? I dont want to get ripped off, you know! Cause i know when I go look at it im gonna want it :-) How much can I get the bigger MAF for?? Is it easy to put in, I like to do most of my work myself. Whats up with the avtars, I cant put mine up, do you have to fork over the $10 before you can do that?

Sixpipes
12-17-2003, 11:17 AM
.......do you have to fork over the $10 before you can do that?
People with red trucks are charged $20. :cool:

travis5000_99
12-17-2003, 11:44 AM
People with red trucks are charged $20. :cool:

Dont get it?!?!

travis5000_99
12-17-2003, 12:14 PM
So anyone think thats a good deal?!?! I think so, but thats because i want to get in a lightning ASAP!!!! :banana:

Sixpipes
12-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Dont get it?!?!
Just a red truck joke............... Sounds like a decent deal, but depends on the condition etc... If I was looking for a used Lightning, I would stay with a 99/00. :cool:

travis5000_99
12-17-2003, 12:54 PM
Just a red truck joke............... Sounds like a decent deal, but depends on the condition etc... If I was looking for a used Lightning, I would stay with a 99/00. :cool:

Why would u stay with a 99/00?? Just curiouse

andy_cain
12-17-2003, 02:01 PM
99/00 seem to have stronger rods and are less likely to ventilate the block.
I personally love my "99".
If I couldn't pick up a "99" or "00", I would tend to look for an "03" as they have more threads for the plugs in the head.
Not looking to bash anyones "01" or "02" but they do seem to have more issues with rods.

Nuhklz
12-17-2003, 02:14 PM
Red truck jokes and Zaino references seem to be running jabs through many threads. :D

I've come to enjoy them because I have a red L and use Zaino and not everybody can be that cool.:banana:

Crawford
12-17-2003, 02:22 PM
99/00 seem to have stronger rods and are less likely to ventilate the block.
I personally love my "99".
If I couldn't pick up a "99" or "00", I would tend to look for an "03" as they have more threads for the plugs in the head.
Not looking to bash anyones "01" or "02" but they do seem to have more issues with rods.
Agreed. :tu:

my2002lightning
12-17-2003, 02:30 PM
Red truck jokes and Zaino references seem to be running jabs through many threads. :D

I've come to enjoy them because I have a red L and use Zaino and not everybody can be that cool.:banana:
Larry,

Don't I know it! :D

"The Man" is tryin' to keep us down.

Ronald

Nuhklz
12-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Larry,

Don't I know it! :D

"The Man" is tryin' to keep us down.

Ronald
Bro,

I was waiting for you to chime in. Us cool people have to stick together!:tu:

my2002lightning
12-17-2003, 02:45 PM
Bro,

I was waiting for you to chime in. Us cool people have to stick together!:tu:
:beer:

Travis,

Also inquire/inspect about the "front-end clunk" that was another issue with the 99/00 Ls.

Ronald

travis5000_99
12-17-2003, 03:08 PM
:beer:

Travis,

Also inquire/inspect about the "front-end clunk" that was another issue with the 99/00 Ls.

Ronald

I dont follow??? Clunk, what is that, & where or what is the problem?? Im goin to go see the truck 2morrow.
So I should ask about the recall, "Clunk", & check for leaks. Is there anywhere on these lightnings that are prone to leak??
THANKS

my2002lightning
12-17-2003, 03:21 PM
From what I understand, the 99 (I think '00, also) Ls had a problem with the lower control arm / A-Arms, etc on the front suspension having an elliptical hole for a pair of the bolts. This left "slop" for the lower control arm/A-Arm/suspension to move around.

The relatively simple fix was a set of washers.

Mouse around in here for some more info. http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115852&perpage=15&highlight=clunk%20front%20washer&pagenumber=1

Hope it helps,

Ronald

andy_cain
12-17-2003, 04:13 PM
I am looking for some Herbs now for a friend that has an "01"...the problem was not just on "99" and "00"'s:hammer:

If memory serves me correctly (I wouldn't guaranty it though) Dboat had the problem with his "02"

my2002lightning
12-17-2003, 04:25 PM
I am looking for some Herbs now for a friend that has an "01"...the problem was not just on "99" and "00"'s:hammer:

If memory serves me correctly (I wouldn't guaranty it though) Dboat had the problem with his "02"
Huh! Wayne, I guess you're right. I just checked Dana's sig. I'll have to "test" mine and maybe have mine checked out.

andy_cain
12-17-2003, 04:39 PM
If it were me looking at another used "L", I would check:

The driver door for the ever popular "Crack" at the window
Look at the PCM (Passenger kick pannel) and see if the plastic cover is there (if chipped, most people loose the plastic cover
Look at the bolts on the lower pulley and check for evidence of "swaps"
Oasis reports go back to the actual date of "in service" so insist on checking the I/C recall issue
Run a carfax on the VIN
Look at the glass for the VIN number (will tell you if windows have been broken out IE, theft)
Check the driver seat for cushion material breakdown on the lower leg support (left side)
Look at the 10MM bolt that holds the wire harness into the PCM on the passenger side of the firewall for evidence of pulling PCM (chipped).

It isn't any of my business what you are looking to spend on this one, but one of our (female) members has a white "99" stock "L" with only 20K miles for right at $20K that is nice.:tu:

Good Luck, they are both a blast and an addiction:evil

travis5000_99
12-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Good Luck, they are both a blast and an addiction:evil[/QUOTE]

Yeah I looked at hers, witch is nice, but I cant go over 18K :( Thanks for the tips, I will definatly check all that. Damb I cant wait to get in one of these, all my friends are drivn around in riceburners & they all think their VinDeisel now. I cant wait to punch down on that supercharger!! :evil :burnout:

Nuhklz
12-17-2003, 06:50 PM
...all my friends are drivn around in riceburners & they all think their VinDeisel now. :evil :burnout:
:rll: :rll:

Alpine
12-17-2003, 07:07 PM
I dont follow??? Clunk, what is that, & where or what is the problem?? Im goin to go see the truck 2morrow.
So I should ask about the recall, "Clunk", & check for leaks. Is there anywhere on these lightnings that are prone to leak??
THANKSMaybe check the gas tank for leaks. Mine must have a leak because every other day I have to put a full tank of gas in it.:( :D

PoorSvtman
12-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Maybe check the gas tank for leaks. Mine must have a leak because every other day I have to put a full tank of gas in it.:( :D

I have that same problem. :burnout: .

Nuhklz
12-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Maybe check the gas tank for leaks. Mine must have a leak because every other day I have to put a full tank of gas in it.:( :D
Hmmm...Do you think it has anything to do with doing 120mph down the freeway? :d

Alpine
12-17-2003, 08:02 PM
Hmmm...Do you think it has anything to do with doing 120mph down the freeway? :d:rll: Yep, that might be it. I need to get my gas pedal looked at, the darn thing gets stuck all the time.:tongue:

PoorSvtman
12-17-2003, 08:45 PM
Hmmm...Do you think it has anything to do with doing 120mph down the freeway? :d

Maybe. Maybe i need to start getting off work at rush hour instead of after its pretty clear. That and that blasted long service road. :evil

Nuhklz
12-17-2003, 09:05 PM
Maybe. Maybe i need to start getting off work at rush hour instead of after its pretty clear. That and that blasted long service road. :evil
We only do 90 on the service roads. We have to be prepared to take the entrance to the freeway. :burnout:

PoorSvtman
12-17-2003, 09:42 PM
We only do 90 on the service roads. We have to be prepared to take the entrance to the freeway. :burnout:

I have to slow down before the highway exits to the service road. I have to turn on a street to get on the end of my street to piss the neighbors off that always call the cops on me because they think im doing 90 instead of the 15 im realy doing

TP Derrick D
12-17-2003, 10:52 PM
If your buying from an individual, ask them what it does in the quarter mile. If he starts bragging about great time slips................... run away.

Rocks:tu:
Now wait Rocks,
I probably ran mine down the 1320 about 15 times tops ,but I brag about the great 13 sec(stock truck can run from factory) time slips. :tu:

travis5000_99
12-18-2003, 12:10 PM
Do the 99 L's have leather inteior, I have some pics but I cant tell if its cloth or suede?!?! :evil

Logan
12-18-2003, 01:02 PM
Do the 99 L's have leather inteior, I have some pics but I cant tell if its cloth or suede?!?! :evilLightning seats are the same, all 4 years running now. Pseudo-Suede type grey material with leatherish inserts. Good seats.

On the clunk issue, you can check for it by looking to see if the bolt that attaches the lower control arm to the frame has been moving around...If it's scratched up around the bolt, it's been moving around.

The fix is a special set of washers and a good alignment. Ultimately, not that serious a deal, if it hasn't been dealt with, it'll be a couple hundred.

Also make sure the intercooler has plenty of fluid and that the recall has been done on it. If not, the 99/00 intercooler's tended to break a weld about every 10k miles or so resulting in about a $1500 replacement bill if it wasn't under warranty.

Don't let that scare ya though, the 99/00's are kick ass shizzy and I agree with Dennis, if I find myself getting another L to play with, it'll be a 99. 45k miles is decent and $16.5k in fair condition to 18k in excellent condition is a resonable price for the reasonable mileage on it.

travis5000_99
12-18-2003, 01:23 PM
A couple hundred!!! how much are these Fing washers?!?!? It cant be that hard to unbolt the lower control arm, right?!?! I lowerd my cheverolet my selft & wasnt even hard. I asume its a couple hundred if I get a dealership to do it . Im meeting the guy @ 5:00 in misquite, I'll let everyone know bout it after. Can't wait to feel that HP&torque

: :tu:

microsuck
12-18-2003, 03:39 PM
I have to slow down before the highway exits to the service road. I have to turn on a street to get on the end of my street to piss the neighbors off that always call the cops on me because they think im doing 90 instead of the 15 im realy doingyeah, i know what thats like:evil

PoorSvtman
12-18-2003, 06:08 PM
yeah, i know what thats like:evil

Youve drove past the neighbors that call the cops on me all the time. and the service road i haul down everynight after work. Im surprised my house phone didnt start ringing when u left that sunday.

microsuck
12-18-2003, 06:31 PM
Youve drove past the neighbors that call the cops on me all the time. and the service road i haul down everynight after work. Im surprised my house phone didnt start ringing when u left that sunday.hehe, I have a bad habit of "makin an exit" that i probably need to correct, for the sake of my friends.:hammer:

PoorSvtman
12-18-2003, 08:06 PM
hehe, I have a bad habit of "makin an exit" that i probably need to correct, for the sake of my friends.:hammer:

You dont have to worry about that on my street. Most of the neighbors are kool. But there are about 2-3 houses at the end of the curve and the other street that always harras me. So feel free to do whatever you want in front of my house, no kids till you get to the curve. The mom dosent care. Hell the street used to be full of burnout marks right infrong of my house. :burnout:

Logan
12-18-2003, 09:14 PM
if you stick the washers in, you'll need an alignment in a bad way. If the truck hasn't been aligned before, you need the alignment bolt kit which is $15/side from Napa or $100 :eek2: a side from Ford. Then the cost of a good alignment, so yeah... a couple hundred bucks by the time you're done.

travis5000_99
12-19-2003, 01:08 PM
if you stick the washers in, you'll need an alignment in a bad way. If the truck hasn't been aligned before, you need the alignment bolt kit which is $15/side from Napa or $100 :eek2: a side from Ford. Then the cost of a good alignment, so yeah... a couple hundred bucks by the time you're done.

I got to drive the thing yesterday, what can I say but, BAD ASSS!!!!!!!!!!!
He let me lay on the supercharger & I was blown into back of the seat!!!
The truck looked BRAND NEW, I think im goin to go ahead buy it :banana:
that is if the carfax/vehix report checks out.
Paint, interior, everything looks great. I didnt hear any clunks, when can you hear it.

travis5000_99
12-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Im bout to go look a 2000 lightning now, are there any major differences that I should be aware of that would be more attractive over a 1999???

Crawford
12-19-2003, 02:23 PM
Bout the only real difference is the overhead console which is very nice to have!

travis5000_99
12-20-2003, 07:43 AM
Bout the only real difference is the overhead console which is very nice to have!

I know ive seen it in threads before but, where can I get an Oasis report & how much do they cost!?!? Also what is the difference from a carfax report?

Logan
12-20-2003, 11:32 AM
You can get an Oasis lookup by just dropping by your local Ford Service department and giving them the VIN.

Carfax will show you if the vehicle's been in an accident or has a salvage title and I believe if there are liens against it.

PoorSvtman
12-20-2003, 02:24 PM
Im bout to go look a 2000 lightning now, are there any major differences that I should be aware of that would be more attractive over a 1999???
I believe the 99-00 are the excact same. Dont think the 00 came with a overhead console

Sixpipes
12-20-2003, 03:53 PM
I believe the 99-00 are the excact same. Dont think the 00 came with a overhead consoleThe 2000 model did come with the overhead console (as standard I think), color matched mirrors and 14mm studs on the wheels. :cool:

noelvm
12-20-2003, 04:54 PM
My 99 has over 103K on it. It has over 3,000 passes at the 1/8 mile dragstrip in Sealy, Texas. Original motor, no problems. Go to a ford dealership and have them look up the vin number and make sure the intercooler recall has been done. I run a 4lb lower pulley too. Good (make that better) rods in the earlier trucks.

noelvm

PoorSvtman
12-21-2003, 12:04 AM
The 2000 model did come with the overhead console (as standard I think), color matched mirrors and 14mm studs on the wheels. :cool:

Im still a newbie on Ls I figuredid probly be wrong.

:tu:

travis5000_99
12-23-2003, 02:38 PM
Im takin the plunge today!!! I pick My 99 lightning at 4:00!!!! I cant wait to start driven her!!!!!! :banana:

Wish me luck :-)

Also Im 21 with only 1 speeding ticket on my record witch will be taken off on 3/1/04. I am currently insured by Progressive. Does anyone know the cheapest option on insurance for a young male with a lightning?!?!
I used to be a high risk dirver, & progressive was the cheapest, But my record is pretty clean now.

Nuhklz
12-23-2003, 02:49 PM
Im takin the plunge today!!! I pick My 99 lightning at 4:00!!!! I cant wait to start driven her!!!!!! :banana:

Also Im 21 with only 1 speeding ticket on my record witch will be taken off on 3/1/04. I am currently insured by Progressive. Does anyone know the cheapest option on insurance for a young male with a lightning?!?!
I used to be a high risk dirver, & progressive was the cheapest, But my record is pretty clean now.
Congrats and enjoy!:d

Mark #2
12-23-2003, 03:56 PM

I've used Progressive for about 15 years, still the cheapest for boy toys, and they don't cancel you when you do get that 93 in a 70 ticket.

Moonshine
12-23-2003, 03:57 PM
and they don't cancel you when you do get that 93 in a 70 ticket.
Now, how would a mature, responsible, professional, patent holding gentleman such as yourself know about something like that? :rolleyes:

Crawford
12-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Now, how would a mature, responsible, professional, patent holding gentleman such as yourself know about something like that? :rolleyes:
Busted!

Mark #2
12-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Hey, I got one person fooled then...it was just purely Hypothetical of course.:)

travis5000_99
12-24-2003, 09:00 AM
:evil :evil :evil :banana:
Closed the Deal yesturday!!! I love drivin this thing, its bad ass!!! Damn it feels good knowing that you have a supercharger waiting on your heavy foot whenever the itch arises!!