PDA

View Full Version : The gift that keeps on giving

SILVER2000SVT
12-17-2003, 09:47 AM
When ever you take your truck to the ford dealer, that the gift that keeps on giving. Back in July and about 4K miles ago I had my passenger side head replace because I blew out a plug. When I got it back they had tightened the lower blower pulley on so tight that I broke one of the allen sockets, and I had and almost rounded the internal hex on the pulley. Steve was there to help me and with all of both our strengths with arms and legs it wouldn't budge, and there was still plenty of the copper antisieze on the threads from when I put the pulley back on before I took it to them. I finally got it off by taking the blow torch to it with tends to liquify the anti-sieze in addition to expanding the threads in the adapter and it popped right off. I should have tried that first, but they should have never tightened it on there with probably over 1000 ftlbs of torque like they did. Now the internal hex is distorted and I don't know if it will take another removal if I put it back on.

You would think, that since they pulled the motor and replaced a head for a spark plug coming out, that they would check the plugs on the other head. Well thats what I get for thinking, I was replacing the plugs about 1 month after this repair and 3 of the 4 plugs on the drivers side were loose.

Back to the point of my post: I kept having this minor oil spot in garage and couldn't figure out what it was until yesterday. I was sitting at a light and noticed smoke, so I'm thinking look at this piece of @#$% next to me smoking. Then I realized it was me, the leak has gotten so bad it's spraying oil all the way to the transmission and getting on the exhaust and burning. I got home and after some looking around I spotted the leak in the timing chain cover. Now I have to figure out should I put my stock pulley back on and let them tighten it too much again so they will fix the leak they created when replacing the head or do I fix it myself.

My thought is to take it back to them but when I put my stock pulley back on, clean the threads really well and put some permanent thread lock and tighten the mess out of it and let them see how it feels. Hopefully, it will force them to get me a new pulley because they won't be able to get it off with out breaking something.

Jason

Silver_2000
12-17-2003, 09:53 AM
they will just get you a new STOCK pulley

look back in th history for my head gasket and JDM pulley saga. Bankson ****ed up 2 of them. Its NOT likely the dealer that overtightened the pulley

It is the 500 ftlbs of torque that did.....

If it were me speaking from expereince ( 3 head gasket leaks ) I woul put the stock pulley BACK on and make them fix the leak ...

Doug

SILVER2000SVT
12-17-2003, 10:16 AM
The stock pulley is the one I'm wanting replaced. I'm running a 3 bolt pulley now for my after market, I'm talking about it's the stock pulley they over tightened and that the internal hex is distorted now.

My fear is that I put that stock pulley on and they fix the leak and then tighten the pulley back on too tight again and because the internal hex is already distorted that it might just round completely out when I get it back and try to put my +4 lbs pulley back on.

I was just trying to come up with a way that maybe I could get a new stock pulley.

There is really no need to tighten the pulley more than hand tight anyway because it will end up tightening to the torque the blower puts on it.

I will have to say that the two previous times prior to this last time they over tightened it they didn't tighten it too much, it came off with a good tug on the breaker bar, no heated or anything. So why they over tighened this last time and why it's different every time I don't know, I just know it happened. It's also kind of hard because I can't say, "hey don't over tighten the pulley this time". I wish I could, but then I would get myself in trouble with the dealer.