PDA

View Full Version : who wants to make a few $$

scott015
12-18-2003, 04:25 PM
i got some new front component speakers and an amp... plan on getting a thunderform eventually... but right now I would like to install the front amp and front speakers and tweeters, but i know NOTHING about this stuff.... called Best Buy and they want $110 to install the speakers and amp.... thought maybe i could get a deal from someone who might know how to do this....

99WhiteBeast
12-18-2003, 06:04 PM
Not my forte but Alpine (Jeff) may know someone- if not I have a neighbor that works with car stereo and he may do it for you at a reasonable rate.

cpeapea
12-18-2003, 07:18 PM
a guy that posts on here by the name of brent works/worked at crank it up audio in euless or somewhere by there

L1nt2B
12-18-2003, 08:07 PM
If you cant find someone close by I could do it for you if you want to drive out to NE Dallas. I have been in the audio/visual business for 25 years and have installed countless mobile audio systems. I would do it for a small fee of $75

Alpine
12-18-2003, 09:01 PM
i got some new front component speakers and an amp... plan on getting a thunderform eventually... but right now I would like to install the front amp and front speakers and tweeters, but i know NOTHING about this stuff.... called Best Buy and they want $110 to install the speakers and amp.... thought maybe i could get a deal from someone who might know how to do this.... Do you have the stock radio or an aftermarket head unit? If you have an aftermarket head unit, I would be willing to do it for you if Steve would let us use his garage!:D

99WhiteBeast
12-18-2003, 11:40 PM
Do you have the stock radio or an aftermarket head unit? If you have an aftermarket head unit, I would be willing to do it for you if Steve would let us use his garage!:D
As always BRING IT:tu:

scott015
12-19-2003, 09:47 AM
well i still have factory radio... i plan on getting a dvd flip down one day, but dont have the $1200 right now...

SILVER2000SVT
12-19-2003, 10:19 AM
Scott,

I talked to my brother, and he said he would do it for $60+parts. To actually do the job right you will need a few parts. We were really curious the details of what that BestBuy quote was because the parts you will need to do a good job are an 8GA amp kit, LOC (line output converter), an aftermarket radio harness adapter, and an OEM radio harness adapter. We were wondering if they actually included those harness adapters into the quote, because you need them in order to avoid hacking into your factory wires.

You might not have to use the LOC but it will end up making a cleaner signal rather than using the high level inputs on your amp. Depending on your amp and vehicle, running an amp off of the high level inputs sometimes introduces motor wine in the system and you end up having to use an LOC to get rid of it anyway. I would recommend using the LOC with a good set of RCA's, especially since you are planning on changing head units some time in the future, you will already have your amp wired with RCA's for it's signal.

If you want to do it, you can either go get these parts yourself or my brother still has a hook up where he used to work in North Carolina and can probably get every thing sent, and probably a little cheaper than what you can find them for at the store.

Jason

scott015
12-19-2003, 10:35 AM
Jason,

tell him its a deal...

the best buy quote was just labor... best buy, ciruit city and frys all wanted almost the same... about $100 for labor, so $60 is :banana:

i dont know if i have stated this before, but I really dont know much about this stuff at all. So I will try and go to best buy or somewhere and get the parts I need, but if I have any problems, ill just have him order them i guess.

when is a good time for him to do this? im not in a super huge rush, but would like to get it done at the same time...

emai: awardsandbeyond@sbcglobal.net
phone: 817 925 0491

scott015
12-19-2003, 10:39 AM
where would be best place for me to find those parts? im sure the 8ga amp kit can be found just about anywhere... but what about the other parts?

SILVER2000SVT
12-19-2003, 11:05 AM
Scott,

On the amp kit, get one with good RCA's, and a mountable fuse holder, should cost around $30 or $40. The LOC should be around $15 or so, and the harnesses are between $8 and $20 each (these things are grossly marked up, sometimes 200%-400%). Don't spend more than $10 each!

scott015
12-19-2003, 11:09 AM
will stores like best buy, etc carry the OEM radio harness? or is that something im gonna have to order from Ford?

talk to him and see when is a good time, i can run and get the parts anytime, today even if he wanted to do anytime soon... heck he can do it at my house, his house, my work, im flexible

SILVER2000SVT
12-19-2003, 11:50 AM
A lot of the bigger places will have the OEM harness too. Cartoys, Frys, Tweeter, maybe best buy or Cricuit city. Fry's usually has good prices and a pretty good selection, might be worth a trip

scott015
12-19-2003, 12:08 PM
ok ill try frys and then maybe cartoys.....

so when ya think he would wanna do it? i can do it at your house or whatever

A lot of the bigger places will have the OEM harness too. Cartoys, Frys, Tweeter, maybe best buy or Cricuit city. Fry's usually has good prices and a pretty good selection, might be worth a trip

SILVER2000SVT
12-19-2003, 12:20 PM
I told him to give you a call or email, but Sunday would be good, that way I'll be around to lend a hand. You know, to hold the fire extinguisher:D ...j/k

Jason

scott015
12-19-2003, 12:21 PM
sunday is fine with me, only one problem.... hope your tv has wheels on it, cuz sunday is FOOTBALL day....

I told him to give you a call or email, but Sunday would be good, that way I'll be around to lend a hand. You know, to hold the fire extinguisher:D ...j/k

Jason

SILVER2000SVT
12-19-2003, 12:24 PM
That'll work, you can see my big screen from the glass door I have in my garage. Bring some beer...

scott015
12-19-2003, 12:34 PM
alright, i can bring the beer.... just shoot me an email or call me later today or tomorrow and let me know what time on sunday..... i get out of church about noon so anytime after that is good for me...

scott015
12-19-2003, 12:40 PM
just called car toys and best buy and frys... they have everything except the OEM radio harness adapter....

where would I get that? ford dealer? would they have it in stock or something im gonna have to order?

also, had another thought.... i read somewhere a while back that the 6.5" speakers arent a perfect fit in the door, have to make a little thing and trace the 6.5" circle and cut it out or something.... u know what im talking about? well what should i buy to do this?

SILVER2000SVT
12-19-2003, 01:06 PM
just called car toys and best buy and frys... they have everything except the OEM radio harness adapter....

where would I get that? ford dealer? would they have it in stock or something im gonna have to order?

also, had another thought.... i read somewhere a while back that the 6.5" speakers arent a perfect fit in the door, have to make a little thing and trace the 6.5" circle and cut it out or something.... u know what im talking about? well what should i buy to do this?
Being a Ford I would think that the OEM wouldn't be that difficult to find compared to other wiring harnesses. Sometimes the sales people at those places don't know that they have them. The dealer wouldn't carry what you are looking for. The companies that make the aftermarket harness usually make the OEM harness too. It's not nearly as high demand, but any reputable shop should have both. I have personally seen both of them at Fry's before for our trucks, although it's been a while back.

it's funny about the speakers, I was about to write you about them. If you can find a 5x7 to a 6.5" adapter plate that would be very helpful. Otherwise we will have to custom make one, which wouldn't be a big deal, but something already made would make neater install. I'm going to recommend that you put the tweeters right beside the 6.5", but we can install them and cut the door if you want. Do your Focals have the option to mount the tweeter on the woofer (similar looking to a 2-way), I've seen some models that do. If not, it might be helpful to find an adapter plate with location for the tweeter available. Does that make sense?

scott015
12-19-2003, 01:17 PM
when i leave work, ill run by frys and see if they have them, im sure the girl i talked to didnt know what she was talking about...

yes is makes sense what you are talking about, but no my speakers dont have the 2way option.... they did come with a little bracket where you can "angle" them on a flat surface.... ill check to see if frys has that 5x7 - 6.5 component bracket... if they do ill grab 2 of them.... if not, i have some "plastic" here at work that might work.... its plastic and is about 1/8" thick and can easily be cut.... that might work....

SILVER2000SVT
12-19-2003, 02:58 PM
Something else to get would be about 15 or 20 feet of 4 conductor 16 or 14 GA speaker wire. 4 conductor would neaten the install but two pair would also work.