PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my new 04

Band
12-26-2003, 12:51 AM
Almost have 1k miles on it and have a couple of questions/problems.

1. Sometimes, right before it shifts (maybe at 5k rpm's) my truck feels like it loses the majority of its power. At the same time i hear air move (release or pressurize); and it also sounds like my belt slips. Is this my boost bypass or is my belt just slipping? It does seem to happen on the colder days... When i recieved the truck the belt was cutting through the radiator hose, and you can still see where the radiator hose wore the rubber away on the belt a bit (not the surface, but the color of rubber on the belt).

2. Sometimes when I put my truck in reverse and turn the wheels hard left and move a bit, I hear a clunk or creeking from the front, possibly front left wheel. Is this the infamous "clunk"? If it is, why the heck haven't they fixed it!!

3. At 80+ my truck feels like the back tires are out of balance. I had NTB check the balance before pulling the weights, they were perfect(zero'd out). So my next thought is driveshaft out of balance. Talked to dealer service and they said they can't drive it that fast to duplicate the problem. He did say they would just replace the driveshaft. Has anyone had this problem before? Did it turn out to be the driveshaft, or something else? At 110 on smooth asphault the rear of the truck feels real unstable/loose... Unlike my 02..

Thanks,
Sayle

Alpine
12-26-2003, 01:30 AM
Almost have 1k miles on it and have a couple of questions/problems.

1. Sometimes, right before it shifts (maybe at 5k rpm's) my truck feels like it loses the majority of its power. At the same time i hear air move (release or pressurize); and it also sounds like my belt slips. Is this my boost bypass or is my belt just slipping? It does seem to happen on the colder days... When i recieved the truck the belt was cutting through the radiator hose, and you can still see where the radiator hose wore the rubber away on the belt a bit (not the surface, but the color of rubber on the belt).

2. Sometimes when I put my truck in reverse and turn the wheels hard left and move a bit, I hear a clunk or creeking from the front, possibly front left wheel. Is this the infamous "clunk"? If it is, why the heck haven't they fixed it!!

3. At 80+ my truck feels like the back tires are out of balance. I had NTB check the balance before pulling the weights, they were perfect(zero'd out). So my next thought is driveshaft out of balance. Talked to dealer service and they said they can't drive it that fast to duplicate the problem. He did say they would just replace the driveshaft. Has anyone had this problem before? Did it turn out to be the driveshaft, or something else? At 110 on smooth asphault the rear of the truck feels real unstable/loose... Unlike my 02..

Thanks,
SayleWhat is happening when you shift is torque reduction(if you dont have a chip, if you do it is possibly dumping boost) All lightnings do that (torque reduction)to "help" the tranny. I think it cuts off 4 cylinders for a split second when it goes to shift. The noise in the front end is most likely the clunk:hammer: Herbs washers will fix that if you can still get them.

Band
12-26-2003, 11:15 AM
What is happening when you shift is torque reduction(if you dont have a chip, if you do it is possibly dumping boost) All lightnings do that (torque reduction)to "help" the tranny. I think it cuts off 4 cylinders for a split second when it goes to shift. The noise in the front end is most likely the clunk:hammer: Herbs washers will fix that if you can still get them.

My truck isn't chipped, but this loss of power is before the shift. My 02 had that 4 cylinder cutoff, but this happens before that...

Silver_2000
12-26-2003, 11:15 AM
sounds like the clunk...

Make sure they do road force balance...

One thing you could do is either slow down.. or swap tires front to back to see if the vibe changes
Doug

Band
12-26-2003, 11:26 AM
sounds like the clunk...

One thing you could do is either slow down.. or swap tires front to back to see if the vibe changes
Doug

Hehe, the vibration doesn't bother me all that much daily driving even tho i can feel it at 75-80 which are speeds i cruise at without getting pulled over.... But if i try to do a dyno in 3rd (never done a dyno, i think that's the gear), my truck will vibrate right off the machine.... Same for my 1/4 runs, i would like it as stable as possible...

PoorSvtman
12-26-2003, 12:24 PM

Doug

Yes make sure they do the road force balance.

dboat
12-26-2003, 07:10 PM
I had something similar after I got my new wheels and found out that one of the wheels was out of round.. after they swapped the wheel, just like new all over again..

Dana

Band
12-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Just heard back from the dealer service. They said this vibration is normal :flaming:

My 02 didn't have this trouble... it was smooth as glass..

blueoval01
12-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Just heard back from the dealer service. They said this vibration is normal :flaming:
My 02 didn't have this trouble... it was smooth as glass.. If this is a Stock '04, NO vibration "Is normal"!
What dealer was this?
Is there another Dealer close for a 2nd opinion?

blondeinalightning
12-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Take it back and have it checked, and ask them whats wrong with it, thats the simple way of finding the problem :tu:

Alpine
12-29-2003, 06:50 PM

My 02 didn't have this trouble... it was smooth as glass..:Bullshit

Band
12-29-2003, 07:50 PM
If this is a Stock '04, NO vibration "Is normal"!
What dealer was this?
Is there another Dealer close for a 2nd opinion?

Yeah, 14 days old stock 04. I agree. North Central Ford....

So i went to the dealer to discuss this "normality". Talked to the service manager and he took a drive with me, he felt the vibration at 70mph which is "normal operating speed". So they are goin to check the tires/wheels and put it on the dyno to see if they can find anything.... which is what they should have done in the first place i think.... We will see if they find anything...If not I'll hit every dealer until i get it fixed....

We also drove the dark gray Lightning they have on the lot, it had the same problem...

cpeapea
12-30-2003, 06:55 AM
i balanced my tires once on a roadforce machine and as it turned out 2 of the 4 stock tires were considered out of round

99WhiteBeast
12-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Just curious who does this "road force" balance thing?

Band
12-30-2003, 11:43 AM
Just curious who does this "road force" balance thing?

Discount tire can. But i think the dealer does a better job..

Band
12-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Well the service manager got their good mechanic on my truck. The mechanic just got back from some 3 day svt mechanic event. The service manager relayed to me that this is a normal characteristic of the higher suspension and payload capacity of the 2003(i think) and 2004 models. Which means the won't fix the issue.

So, i think i'll be doin some shopping for 02 or older links and hangers. I suppose i could put some weight in the bed to see if the symptom goes away.

Nuhklz
12-30-2003, 03:26 PM
...The service manager relayed to me that this is a normal characteristic of the higher suspension and payload capacity of the 2003(i think) and 2004 models. Which means the won't fix the issue...
I know this isn't what you want to hear but I have an 03 and there is no vibration up to 95. I haven't gone beyond that speed.

I've since added 2" shackels and the a$$ really came down, the handling is better and the bounce has toned down. I think the 03's and 04's are virutally the same truck except for some minor difference in the exhaust tips.