PDA

View Full Version : Apten Porting

03LightningRocks
01-08-2004, 04:55 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have been in touch with Brian and he said he had a few more openings for the week of the 12th.

The price is 440 plus shipping. Let me know quick if you want to get in on this. So far it is me and Adam.

Rocks:beer:

Band
01-08-2004, 05:20 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have been in touch with Brian and he said he had a few more openings for the week of the 12th.

The price is 450 plus shipping. Let me know quick if you want to get in on this. So far it is me and Adam.

Is that a special rate? What is the turn around time? I would need to get a rent car :( = addition costs.

What kind of gains for a typical modded truck?

03LightningRocks
01-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Is that a special rate? What is the turn around time? I would need to get a rent car :( = addition costs.

What kind of gains for a typical modded truck?We are shipping them Monday. I am betting on a week turn around. Yes, this is about 150 off the usual price.

It is about a 30 H.P. gain, across the board. Frank5L, from Arkansas has the ported eaton and all the same mods I have. He runs about 3/10th's quicker in the quarter than I do.

I am about to displace him on the time list at NLOC...LOL.

Rocks

03LightningRocks
01-08-2004, 05:45 PM
I just received an update email from Hope. They said they do have a few more openings, but they have to be reserved by tommorrow(Friday the 9th)....NO LATITUDE on this.

Band
01-08-2004, 05:49 PM
I'll need help taking it off. Or maybe i can watch you take yours off. Would be my luck to damage it or something else taking it off.

I just found car arrangements :)

Do they say a week turn around?

03LightningRocks
01-08-2004, 05:54 PM
I'll need help taking it off. Or maybe i can watch you take yours off. Would be my luck to damage it or something else taking it off.

I just found car arrangements :)

Do they say a week turn around?
Now we need a big arse garage to do this in...LOL. Adam and I are getting together to do ours. Once it is out, the truck remains where it is when we do it.

Your more than welcome to join us, but the 2 garage spots are taken, so we would need to leave your L in the driveway. I have rear entry, so the truck will be safe from vandles...weather should cooperate. I am game if you are.

Maybe we should do this Saturday instead of the track, so if we get into trouble, we will have some time to finger out what to do.

Rocks:nana2

03LightningRocks
01-08-2004, 06:04 PM
I am leaving for the meeting now. Hopefully, I'll see ya'll there.

Band
01-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Now we need a big arse garage to do this in...LOL. Adam and I are getting together to do ours. Once it is out, the truck remains where it is when we do it.

Your more than welcome to join us, but the 2 garage spots are taken, so we would need to leave your L in the driveway. I have rear entry, so the truck will be safe from vandles...weather should cooperate. I am game if you are.

Maybe we should do this Saturday instead of the track, so if we get into trouble, we will have some time to finger out what to do.

Rocks:nana2

Driveway is fine, as long as it's not an inconvenience.

But...but...its goin to be in the low 50's Saturday :D I hear ya tho.

Count me in :nana2

They take credit cards right?? :D

BTW, my truck keeps dieing....I think that predator messed something up! :flaming:

j/k :rll:

I'll be there.

cpeapea
01-08-2004, 07:58 PM
id like to help just for the hell of it. let me know when you start tearing into it. ive got TONS of tools too.

02BOLT
01-08-2004, 11:54 PM
We are shipping them Monday. I am betting on a week turn around. Yes, this is about 150 off the usual price.

It is about a 30 H.P. gain, across the board. Frank5L, from Arkansas has the ported eaton and all the same mods I have. He runs about 3/10th's quicker in the quarter than I do.

I am about to displace him on the time list at NLOC...LOL.

Rocks
I believe Frank is in the process of installing a built motor, cage, and nitrous...so I believe he'll be displacing both of our a$$e$:eek2: ! Damnit, I wish I had the cabbage to slap a built motor in my bidness!:( so I could really take advantage of this fricking KB!....oh well:rolleyes:

03'svtlight
01-09-2004, 12:13 AM
I am leaving for the meeting now. Hopefully, I'll see ya'll there.

Hey Rocks,
I talked to Adam today concerning this. Sat. would probably be ok for me after 7pm when I get off of work. Im usually spent because I would've been on my feet for 12hrs :eek2: . But, nevertheless, it shouldn't take more than about an hour on each truck. But last I heard, you guys are going racing. So that puts it on Sun. That would be hard for me because I think I've got things lined up all day. Its a simple task, and I wouldn't mine helpin', even though I'm not doing it myself. We'll see how it all plays out. :tu:

L8 APEX
01-09-2004, 12:56 AM
I never knew you could get 550 bucks for a little porting job:eek2: . When I talked with Frank in Hallsville he said he only gianed 16rwhp and that was with a lot of bolt ons and an insane 18-19psi boost. I bet the gains on a stock truck at 12psi are about 8rwhp. In fact I will pay for the dyno pull that bolts on 30hp from this mod. I have ported a few blowers over the years. The best mod you can get is the black rotor packs if you can find them.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15Rotors_out-med.jpg
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15black_rotors-med.jpg

03'svtlight
01-09-2004, 01:25 PM
where are the "black rotors"? Are they cut different or coated to stream off heat??

03LightningRocks
01-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Here is a thread about porting. http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59632

Here is a post that explains why Frank5L noticed lower H.P. gains:

ITSOEZ
100% Grade "A" REDNECK
NLOC #: 990

http://www.nloc.net/forum/images/nloc/icons/icon1.gif Been debating on even replying to this thread.
I personally have seen 2 different Apten blowers. The first one is on Frank5L's truck. It is the "early" version put out. Soon thereafter Brian@Apten said that they found area's of improvement to work on. He said this would cost an additional 100 bucks because of the extremely hard area's to get to. When I received my Apten blower 2 weeks later, it was ported ALOT different than Frank's. Both the intake and outlet of the charger were extremely different. Both times, the superchargers came already filled with oil and packaged with care. I have talked to Brian alot over the past month or so and he seems to really know alot about the Eaton superchargers, as he has worked with the T-bird SC charger before. He said, with all the porting work, that no machine shop could do that much, for so little. He also told me that when each supercharger gets to him, it is disassembled, all parts are put in 1 tray, cleaned, and bearings checked. I know there has to be an extremely tight tolerance from the rotor to the case, and when you grind on the case I'm sure it has to heat up. I don't want to worry about the rotor packs hitting/rubbing the case.

I'm sure REM is putting out a great product, but the question still remains...Is it the same quality as the Apten or not.

When my charger was sent to Brian, it squeaked at low RPM, he changed the front bearings at no charge. It is included with the deal.
I personally would rather spend the extra funds for the peace of mind.

Thank you , and good night to all......
Bubbahttp://home.centurytel.net/volunteacher/Gif's/smoke.gif

Rocks

L8 APEX
01-09-2004, 08:59 PM
where are the "black rotors"? Are they cut different or coated to stream off heat??Eaton calls them Generation 5 rotors. They also use them in the Cobra Eatons. They are closer clearance, and grab more air.