PDA

View Full Version : 1st service on new 04

Aggie Mom
01-08-2004, 10:32 PM
I have an 04 and was wondering when I should take it in for it's first oil change and service. I called the service manager at the dealer and he said at 5000 miles they should change the oil and rotate the tires. That just doesn't seem right. So, when should I get the oil changed for the first time and what type of other service should I get? Please remember, I'm an "older" gal and don't drive the L every day at Mach5 with my hair on fire. (Unless you count the few times my son drove it.) :eek:

Nuhklz
01-08-2004, 10:45 PM
I have an 04 and was wondering when I should take it in for it's first oil change and service. I called the service manager at the dealer and he said at 5000 miles they should change the oil and rotate the tires. That just doesn't seem right. So, when should I get the oil changed for the first time and what type of other service should I get? Please remember, I'm an "older" gal and don't drive the L every day at Mach5 with my hair on fire. (Unless you count the few times my son drove it.) :eek:

Mach 3 at a slow burn is fast enough:D.

I took mine in for the first oil change at just under 1500 miles and will do it again at 5000. I'm not sure about the tires but I think they are scheduled for rotation at 10k.

PoorSvtman
01-08-2004, 11:12 PM
I rotate my tires every other oil change.

Reason they probly told you to change your oil at 5000 is because i believe the 04s have synthetic oil and synthetic is said to last longer than conventional oils.

All hell i said conventional oils, sounds just like a darn oil commercial on TV

True Blue Aggie
01-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Say it.I told you so....I was right!

L8 APEX
01-09-2004, 01:08 AM
There is the way things are then the way they use to be. I am old school and change oil a lot etc.. But after working on and tearing down several new engines I have seen this. New engines are very clean and ready to romp after a few heat cycles. There use to be a lot of assy lubes, break in oils(non-detergent), and machining trash in new motors. Both the LS1's and Ford mod motors are exceptionally clean from the start and make the first 3-5K oil change with no problems. Yet even knowing and seeing this first hand I changed mine @ 600 miles, 1500 miles and every 3K or sooner... It has always been clean and after openeing the motor up at 24K miles everything was perfect from an oil protection view. The L does have an agressive alignment and likes the 6K tire rotation which I do at 3K since I do turn a little harder than most. Also the stock oil is a semi synth 5-20 WalMart carries for a 1.77 a qt and MotorCrap 820S filters for 2.99. I run Mobil1 filters @ $11bucks a pop and Mobil1 5-30 winter and 15-50 summer racing.

Aggie Mom
01-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Say it.I told you so....I was right!

Thanks for the info and yes my son, you were right (this time)!

:bows :bows :bows :bows :bows :bows