Modmax rods with arp 2000 rod cap bolts
cp pistons 20 over
hi-volume oil pump
arp head studs
arp main bolts
federal mogul and king bearings
modmax street/strip cams
etc.

Look like next weekend (maybe) i'm decommissioning the L to build me a sick longblock with ported heads. Just got to get off my lazy ass and do it.

PoorSvtman
01-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Nice :burnout:

Band
01-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Woah! If you need any spectators, I'll try to be available :D

mercbuff
01-12-2004, 06:54 PM
gaven i met a guy name cody at my work the other day he said he was your cousin he saw my lightning and told me about yours he said the only thing slowing yours down was the driver:eek2:

02BOLT
01-12-2004, 07:22 PM
:bows Very nice!

03LightningRocks
01-12-2004, 07:52 PM
That is very cool Gaven, Heck, it's beyond cool. Maybe after you do yours, you can set up shop and do some of the guys around here.

Rocks:tu:

cpeapea
01-12-2004, 09:35 PM
gaven i met a guy name cody at my work the other day he said he was your cousin he saw my lightning and told me about yours he said the only thing slowing yours down was the driver:eek2:
omg, thats my cousin, what a mall world. hes a bit of an alchy. thats pretty wild. you work at bass pro shop?

That is very cool Gaven, Heck, it's beyond cool. Maybe after you do yours, you can set up shop and do some of the guys around here.

Rocks:tu:
luckily i have ready access to a very reputable macine shop for boring and honing, and i'd be willing to help any other talon member with motor work

Woah! If you need any spectators, I'll try to be available :D
Engines are heavy, i could always use an extra hand. Maybe i'll go buy a case of beer or something and make a group project about it:d

03LightningRocks
01-12-2004, 09:41 PM
Engines are heavy, i could always use an extra hand. Maybe i'll go buy a case of beer or something and make a group project about it:d
Announce when your going to do it. I am not much good at building a block, but I sure would like to see some of the progress and learn something.

Rocks

PoorSvtman
01-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Announce when your going to do it. I am not much good at building a block, but I sure would like to see some of the progress and learn something.

Rocks

Ditto. Id like to come and watch and learn.

cpeapea
01-12-2004, 10:14 PM
i'll let yall know when im going to start tearing it down, it will be done over several weeks, i have to get the rotating assymbly balanced, and im going to have the block bored and honed at the same time. then comes the puzzle of putting it together. so it will be done in stages. but i will do a full how to. yall are welcome to come and learn and ill let you know when im doing each stage. first stage of course will be pulling the dang motor out.

STEALTH02
01-12-2004, 11:35 PM
i'll let yall know when im going to start tearing it down, it will be done over several weeks, i have to get the rotating assymbly balanced, and im going to have the block bored and honed at the same time. then comes the puzzle of putting it together. so it will be done in stages. but i will do a full how to. yall are welcome to come and learn and ill let you know when im doing each stage. first stage of course will be pulling the dang motor out.

Just curious, how much money are you saving by doing this as opposed to buying a short block? I may go this route through someone local, or just get the KB.

L8 APEX
01-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Good question:tu: I would run a mild KB tune on a stock block. I spent the big cheese and bought the built long block from JDM $9500 bucks shipped. The short block kit is about 16-1800 from most vendors. A short block doesn't give you any HP just piece of mind and something to build on later. Most built short blocks run 3400-4K. Labor on a short block install is about 1200 bucks. Machine work to assemble a short block kit would be about 1K-1500 from most machine shops. Gavin is doing all of the wrenching and machining himself so he is saving about 3K dollars there. The cams are about 800 a set plus 300 for springs and retainers. CNC heads are 2-3K depending on the vendor. bling bling. The best part is even after all of the down time, work, money, and new engine. You have more problems that you did stock:hammer: .

skalywags
01-13-2004, 12:50 AM
I'd like to see some of this as well! What part of Irving you in, Gaven?

cpeapea
01-13-2004, 07:03 AM
right just north of 183 near beltline.

im getting the heads done with bigger valves and a 3 angle job, some porting. the guy who does my heads is going to do them cheap then dog dirt too. so ill have a completely built longblock for around 3k. i figure that aint too bad

skalywags
01-15-2004, 09:29 PM
right just north of 183 near beltline.

im getting the heads done with bigger valves and a 3 angle job, some porting. the guy who does my heads is going to do them cheap then dog dirt too. so ill have a completely built longblock for around 3k. i figure that aint too bad
Cool. I definitely want to make it out there. That's pretty close. I'm at 635 and MacArthur (at least for now).

cpeapea
01-16-2004, 06:54 AM
i was going to start thia weekend, but i dont like the weather, and i need to fix my other truck before i start tearing into the L. ill keep ya posted