PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Specs...

TX SVT LIGHTNING
01-16-2004, 04:37 AM
I'm in the process of installing the Roush suspension kit on my '04 L and after some brief searching on the boards, i have come across these #s. Just not sure which to go with. Leaning towards the Preferred specs. Any suggestions?

Roush website FAQ (F-150):
Caster L & R 5.2 min & 7.2 max
Camber L & R -1.0 min & 0.4 max
Toe L & R -0.10 min & 0.16 max

L Owner Preferred:
Caster L. 6.7
Caster R. 7.2
Camber L. -0.5
Camber R. -0.5
Toe L. -0.05
Toe R. -0.05

Stock L specs:
Caster L. 6.9 +/- 1.0
Caster R. 7.4 +/- 1.0
Camber L. -0.5 +/- 0.7
Camber R. -0.5 +/- 0.7
Toe L. -0.05 +/- 0.15
Toe R. -0/05 +/- 0.15

03'svtlight
01-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Sense this is what I do, I would tell you that the 'stock' L specs. are your best bet as far as tire wear is concerned. All three of the specs. you posted are very close to the same. On the camber, I would try not to go lower than-0.8 degrees if you could help it. Your biggest issue is gonna be the caster split which in turn will dictate whether or not it will pull. I have a .5 degree diff. more to the right and it pulls like hell. Ideally you would like it neg. 1 degree in favor of the left to compensate for road crown. Sadly this can't be accomplished without installing cams. I have'nt gotten around to doing it on my truck. Hope this helps.............. :cool:

bobbywade69
01-21-2004, 10:53 PM
I need to get mine done where is a good place to get it done around the ft. worth/ arlington area?

03'svtlight
01-21-2004, 10:54 PM
I work in N.Dallas off Lovers & Central. I would be more than happy to help you out.

bobbywade69
01-21-2004, 10:55 PM
do u work on the weekends and how much is the ali. it pulls hard to the left but no tire wear!

03'svtlight
01-21-2004, 11:13 PM
$59.99 for a six month or 6000 mile warranty (which ever comes first). $79.99 for a 1yr. unlimited mile. If it's pulling, unless you have cams, theres not a thing I can do other than install a set. Hell I need a set myself. I'm on vac. this week but if you wanna wait until next week that would be cool. :cool:

PoorSvtman
01-21-2004, 11:16 PM
do u work on the weekends and how much is the ali. it pulls hard to the left but no tire wear!

Mine pulls to the left also. But the body shop tech did the ali. when it was in for the wreck. No tire wear. Only slightly pulls to the left. Im either gonna have my shop manager look at it for me or take it to you.

How much would it be?

03'svtlight
01-21-2004, 11:23 PM
I would have to check on the cam kit price. They change alot. Labor is $45.00 a side but I can cut that in half.Plus the $59.99 alignment price. That is provided that you even need the cams . Have to check it first. It could be a tire thats causing it to pull. But whatever it takes I'll get it straight. Let me know!!! :tu:

bobbywade69
01-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Thats cool I'll wait till u get back no rush I'm off everyother weekend, and one day out of the week, do u have the cams or do I need to get them?

03'svtlight
01-21-2004, 11:26 PM
I'll order a few sets mon. I hope I can get the dark color grade 8 cams again. The last ones were the shiney cheap grade . They're ok, they just strip out easy.

bobbywade69
01-21-2004, 11:28 PM
Cool so where do u work whats the adress so I can find it on the map!:D

03'svtlight
01-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Cool so where do u work whats the adress so I can find it on the map!:D
NTB (National Tire& Battery) 7550 N.Central Expressway

PoorSvtman
01-21-2004, 11:33 PM
My tires are only a few months old. But im gonna get my shop foreman to help me see how bad it is and go from there. :tu:

03'svtlight
01-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Thats cool.......... :tu:

bobbywade69
01-21-2004, 11:37 PM
I'll get with ya next week to set a time to do this, Thanks for the help!

Band
01-22-2004, 03:05 AM
Trai, You work by Golf's!!! lucky dawg.. number10!

03'svtlight
01-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Trai, You work by Golf's!!! lucky dawg.. number10!
:confused:

SILVER2000SVT
01-22-2004, 08:58 AM
I need to get mine done where is a good place to get it done around the ft. worth/ arlington area?
The only place I go is down here in Burleson at Stowes Automotive. I don't let too many people touch my truck, but he has done a good job every time he's aligned one of my vehicles. He even lets me watch him while he's doing it. The last time I brought my Lightning to him he checked it and told me it was in spec, then I showed him the wear on the tires. He adjusted to compensate, and over a year later no uneven tire wear.

03'svtlight
01-22-2004, 09:33 AM
The only place I go is down here in Burleson at Stowes Automotive. I don't let too many people touch my truck, but he has done a good job every time he's aligned one of my vehicles. He even lets me watch him while he's doing it. The last time I brought my Lightning to him he checked it and told me it was in spec, then I showed him the wear on the tires. He adjusted to compensate, and over a year later no uneven tire wear.
Thats good and I'm glad you have found someone who knows what they are doing because its not many techs out there who REALLY know how to do an alignment. But then again its just geometry not rocket science. From my standpoint, I have an Associates Degree in auto/diesel technology and have over 13yrs of experience with JUST alignments and all forms of undercar repairs including brakes etc. I'm not bragging or saying that I know everything because I know I don't but I do have a unique understanding of alignments on certain vehicles that you can't simply read out of a book. It comes with years of experience. When there is a problem at another store, most of the time I get a phone call. Some people use the word 'experience' loosely but in my case I did over 2600 'paid' alignments in 03' which breaks down to about 12 alignments a day, from ferrari's to fiat's and everything in between . And for the record , I'm not lobbying for work on this forum. I'm regarded as one of the highest paid and most respected techs in the company so money is not an issue here, it's just that people have questions and since this is what I do, I'm more than willing to help out. :tu:

blueoval01
01-22-2004, 10:19 AM
............... That is provided that you even need the cams ....... Cams?? Sorry, I'm a DA, can you explain that? Humm, the "Cams", not that I'm a DA. :D

03'svtlight
01-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Cams?? Sorry, I'm a DA, can you explain that? Humm, the "Cams", not that I'm a DA. :D
All 97' and newer f150's (L's included) do not offer a camber or caster adjustment from the factory. Toe only. The solution is what is called a "cam kit". This is basically a stock length bolt that is notched to accomodate an eccentric cam which in turn would allow the upper control arm to rotate in and out allowing camber/caster adj.

blueoval01
01-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks Trai ....... :tu:

I'll get mine done one of these days .......

QIK KAT
01-22-2004, 08:31 PM
These cam bolts youguys are talking about are at napa. Its also a very simple job. It only took me about 45 min. to 1 hr. You just need to make sure you take off the stock washer thats basicaly glued on to the mounts:tu: . Just jack it up take off the wheel and you will see how easy it is:twitch: