PDA

View Full Version : Apten Blower ROCKS!!!!!!!

03LightningRocks
01-23-2004, 10:30 PM
I did my first test runs today with the Apten ported blower. Let me tell ya...this thing is hard to believe.

I have not had a chance to hit the dyno yet, but my initial WOT basts prove to be amazing.

Before I ran with the Apten, I dropped my lower pully from a 6lb to my 4lb metco. I also took off the 2lb upper and put on the stock size upper.

So, get this.....I hit 15lbs of boost using the 4lb only....this is a 3lb increase over the non-ported versian. Holy crap....this far better than I ever expected. Over the next few weeks I will be doing some tuning and dyno time. I will put the 6lb on and then the 2lb upper.

I am thinking that by putting out more boost with less spinning of the blower, I am getting a more effecient boost....just like you do with an after market
3k + blower.

Best mod money spent to date:tu:

Rocks:nana2

Sixpipes
01-24-2004, 12:43 AM
Have any pictures before you put it on? :cool:

L8 APEX
01-24-2004, 12:55 AM
Glad you are happy with it! I will be doing some testing soon as well. Including mapping a CNC program for local quick turn around porting:tu: .

03LightningRocks
01-24-2004, 01:01 AM
Glad you are happy with it! I will be doing some testing soon as well. Including mapping a CNC program for local quick turn around porting:tu: .

You be speaking greek to this layman Terry. I am going to surmise that a CNC will do the porting by computer????

I did not tear it apart....but from what I gather...it involves more than just shaving off some metal???? It is about where and how it's ported.

If CNC is computer, then that must mean once you get the specs down...it does it the same every time...consistency is a good thing.:d

03'svtlight
01-24-2004, 01:05 AM
Glad to here it ............... :cool:

L8 APEX
01-24-2004, 01:11 AM
CNC is computer numerically controled or something, need to put the new 5 axis thingy to use.. So once I get a design I like I map it and the rest are exact copies. I ported mine with an old cylinder head porting tech a few years ago. It has run well for 20+K miles I didn't think anyone would pay for it but I guess I was wrong:hammer: .

03LightningRocks
01-24-2004, 01:17 AM
CNC is computer numerically controled or something, need to put the new 5 axis thingy to use.. So once I get a design I like I map it and the rest are exact copies. I ported mine with an old cylinder head porting tech a few years ago. It has run well for 20+K miles I didn't think anyone would pay for it but I guess I was wrong:hammer: .Hell Terry,

I haven't hit the dyno yet, but it is worth paying for, to gain 3-4lbs of boost with less spinning on the blower.

I will definitly post the dyno sheets when I get it done. We need to see some H.P./Torque improvements to complete the exhuberance...LOL.

Rocks

L8 APEX
01-24-2004, 01:25 AM
We'll see what she does. Things in the L community have changed the last few years. I remember when people were scared to run ANY pulley much less a 4 or 6#. I did about 4 cases back in the day but it was a REAL mess by hand. After about two days I looked like an aluminum shaving snow man. But now people are paying 3K to replace a blower that already comes on the truck. Now if people would just value brakes the same as power:hammer: .

03LightningRocks
01-24-2004, 01:33 AM
Now if people would just value brakes the same as power:hammer: .That reminds me....they did good. Because of the distance limitations I was under, doing my WOT tests, I had to get on the brakes pretty hard. They let off some brake odors, but held up great. My stock brakes could not have survide that many back to back 0-120 bursts with such short stopping distances.

They did start to squeal a bit as I drove home. I figured it was heat....I went back out to get some chow a few hours later...no more squeal....:tu: .

Rocks

L8 APEX
01-24-2004, 01:54 AM
The rears are solid and can't get rid of much heat. They are common sqealers.

PoorSvtman
01-24-2004, 02:12 PM

If you need a test mule im up. Im always up for something new.

cpeapea
01-24-2004, 04:42 PM
now ron go to the track and get a new best et!

Mark #2
01-24-2004, 08:25 PM
I did my first test runs today with the Apten ported blower. Let me tell ya...this thing is hard to believe.

I have not had a chance to hit the dyno yet, but my initial WOT basts prove to be amazing.

Before I ran with the Apten, I dropped my lower pully from a 6lb to my 4lb metco. I also took off the 2lb upper and put on the stock size upper.

So, get this.....I hit 15lbs of boost using the 4lb only....this is a 3lb increase over the non-ported versian. Holy crap....this far better than I ever expected. Over the next few weeks I will be doing some tuning and dyno time. I will put the 6lb on and then the 2lb upper.

I am thinking that by putting out more boost with less spinning of the blower, I am getting a more effecient boost....just like you do with an after market
3k + blower.

Best mod money spent to date:tu:

I love to see people fight physics.
Mark

03LightningRocks
01-24-2004, 09:55 PM
I love to see people fight physics.
Mark

I am not sure what that is suppose to mean.

Rocks

Mark #2
01-24-2004, 10:13 PM

RocksRon,
It's just a physics fact of heat...screw versus roots that’s all. I decided that I would give up just like Rob did.

Mark

03LightningRocks
01-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Ron,
It's just a physics fact of heat...screw versus roots that’s all. I decided that I would give up just like Rob did.

Mark

Oh!!!!!!!! I thought about an aftermarket blower, but it made little to no sense to me installing a blower with twice the capacity of what the stock rods could take. This mod gives you just enough to take it to the edge without the temptation to loose perspective.

There will be a built block and after market blower in my future, but I want to do the project as a whole instead of piecing it together.

Right now, the challenge is to see how fast I can make her go with the stock blower and block.

Rocks:twitch:

Mark #2
01-24-2004, 10:28 PM
Oh!!!!!!!! I thought about an aftermarket blower, but it made little to no sense to me installing a blower with twice the capacity of what the stock rods could take. This mod gives you just enough to take it to the edge without the temptation to loose perspective.

There will be a built block and after market blower in my future, but I want to do the project as a whole instead of piecing it together.

Right now, the challenge is to see how fast I can make her go with the stock blower and block.

Rocks:twitch:
Cool, I'm going to see what the stock rods can take too. Any intrest in going to Redline tomorrow?
Mark

03LightningRocks
01-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Cool, I'm going to see what the stock rods can take too. Any intrest in going to Redline tomorrow?
Mark
I thought about it, but I am wounded in action. I have torn ligaments in my arm and it is hurting so bad, it is causing me to be a bit tempermental...LOL. I probably would end up causing someone to punch me.

Thanks for the invite.

Don't throw a rod tommorrow. I want to see it....take vids just in case.

If ya don't mind telling, how many lbs of boost are you running so far?

Mark #2
01-24-2004, 10:55 PM
I thought about it, but I am wounded in action. I have torn ligaments in my arm and it is hurting so bad, it is causing me to be a bit tempermental...LOL. I probably would end up causing someone to punch me.

Thanks for the invite.

Don't throw a rod tommorrow. I want to see it....take vids just in case.

If ya don't mind telling, how many lbs of boost are you running so far?

Ron,
Hope you feel better, I'm running 15 now, but plans for 18.
Mark

03LightningRocks
01-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Ron,
Hope you feel better, I'm running 15 now, but plans for 18.
Mark

Thanks......You just hit on a curious situation. The time you ran out at Hallsville...the 11.6 or 7? was that on the 15lbs?

The reason I ask, is that I too was running 15lbs of boost...but with the less effecient Eaton. I know for sure Rob was hitting 15 with his best time.

Now to get 15 out of the Eaton...we all know that you have to overspin the crap out of it, creating more heat. This is were I am hoping to gain here. I would like to think that by producing 15lbs, with less spinning,(the RPM for the new boost should be easy to know...it's a 4lb over, making the 15lbs.), I should have a more effecient blower...????

The dyno numbers will be interesting...the track times will tell the real tale.

Rocks

my2002lightning
01-24-2004, 11:39 PM

RocksRon,

Here's an intro. if you haven't already seen it: http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/general-info/twinscrew-vs-roots-fromcatalog.pdf

It's interesting to note (according to this source) that even EATON says twin-screw is more efficent,etc. than the roots. And they're licensed to produce twin-screws.

A quick search of Eaton's S/C offerings didn't find any twin-screws in the line-up.

Ford/Eaton/bean-counters get the :hammer: for this one !

Ronald

cpeapea
01-25-2004, 07:08 PM
im just going to port my eaton to tide me over till i can save some cash for a serious twin screw :d

03LightningRocks
01-25-2004, 08:03 PM
im just going to port my eaton to tide me over till i can save some cash for a serious twin screw :d

It is a great option for those of us with stock rods or those who don't want to jump on the very expensive Kenne Bell mod game.

I think we all know it's not going to put out as much performance as a Kenne Bell. But I have noticed that most of the Kenne Bell owners don't use it all anyway...hell...they can't without...fuel pumps, injectors,MAF, fuel rails, built motor...LOL.

02BOLT
01-25-2004, 09:03 PM
It is a great option for those of us with stock rods or those who don't want to jump on the very expensive Kenne Bell mod game.

I think we all know it's not going to put out as much performance as a Kenne Bell. But I have noticed that most of the Kenne Bell owners don't use it all anyway...hell...they can't without...fuel pumps, injectors,MAF, fuel rails, built motor...LOL.

:tu: :nana2 :twitch: ...That is all I have to say about that...

Mark #2
01-25-2004, 09:20 PM
:tu: :nana2 :twitch: ...That is all I have to say about that...
Okay, just for fun, let's take it up a notch, I think it's a P-envy kind of thing.:)

03LightningRocks
01-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Okay, just for fun, let's take it up a notch, I think it's a P-envy kind of thing.:)

Ha Ha Ha....looks to me like someone is worried about being offed by an Apten. Let me know how my tail Lights look...will ya Mark.....ROTFLMAO.

Rocks:beer:

Mark #2
01-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Ha Ha Ha....looks to me like someone is worried about being offed by an Apten. Let me know how my tail Lights look...will ya Mark.....ROTFLMAO

How have mine looked so far?

03LightningRocks
01-26-2004, 12:55 AM
How have mine looked so far?I really can't be sure....untill you threw that Kenne Bell on I was showing you mine.

I only got to see it at the track one day since then. Get ready Mark...your worst nightmare is about to become reality....spanked by a truck with a stock ported Blower....at a fraction of the cost:rll: .

Rocks:evil

I just looked at our times Mark...LMAO....you only had me by 3/1000 of a second.....hardly enough to see tail lights. Now I know why I didn't know what they looked like. That was with my "un-ported" supercharger.....You are so done...:nana2 . Better crank up that boost Mark.....

03LightningRocks
01-26-2004, 01:07 AM
By the way Rob.....I'm gonna take you out too:eek2: . I know you'll eventually get even...but I plan on riding ahead of you as long as I can.....woohoo!!!!

02BOLT
01-26-2004, 08:53 AM
By the way Rob.....I'm gonna take you out too:eek2: . I know you'll eventually get even...but I plan on riding ahead of you as long as I can.....woohoo!!!!

The ONLY way I'll ever see your taillights, is if you get done with your burnout before I do.:evil Seeing as how I'll be making sooo much more power, I'll have to spend some extry time heating up my slicks....:d

03LightningRocks
01-26-2004, 08:26 PM
First pull since Apten. The torque number showing is wrong. It looks like they started recording the pull too early. The max torque looks to be about 515 if you go by the graph. The H.P. number is on the money since the max H.P. was after 3400 RPM.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/226dyno001-med.JPG?6117

Before the Apten

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/226Pull_1_85_degrees_street_17_timing-med.jpg

StormShadow
01-26-2004, 08:31 PM
I think Terry owes you $ for that Dyno. Didn't he say he would pay for the dyno pull if you made 30 rwhp? :evil

02BOLT
01-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Look at how much more linear the Apten curve is as opposed to the Eaton curve!:eek2: Holy Smokes that's a sweet curve...and with only a 4psi lower!

Congrats Ron!

BTW...it looks like your A/F continues to richen as the rpm's build, which is generally a good sign that your fuel system is keeping up.

L8 APEX
01-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Now I know why my dyno graph is so flat. Looks like my port job helped top end as well.

03LightningRocks
01-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Now I know why my dyno graph is so flat. Looks like my port job helped top end as well.

It builds boost all he way to the shift point or redline. It makes you think it is not going to stop...LOL.

Strange indeed!!!

Rocks

03LightningRocks
01-26-2004, 09:52 PM
I think Terry owes you $ for that Dyno. Didn't he say he would pay for the dyno pull if you made 30 rwhp? :evil
We'll just let that one go...LOL.:beer:

Rocks:tu:

03LightningRocks
01-26-2004, 09:55 PM
BTW...it looks like your A/F continues to richen as the rpm's build, which is generally a good sign that your fuel system is keeping up.

Keep em coming Rob...that's two pearls I have gotten from you tonight:tu: :tu: :tu: .

I was wondering if my fuel pumps would keep up. The darned 6lb may eat my lunch.....what do you or anyone else think. I really don't like the AF that lean. I like 11.9 to 12.1....tops.

Is it possible the AF is high because it is cooler outside??? Maybe if it was 70 or above I would be OK.

Rocks

Sixpipes
01-26-2004, 10:33 PM
I took my spare blower casing to Calvert Racing in Denton today. I may be able to play with you boys next time out. :cool:

Mark #2
01-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Keep em coming Rob...that's two pearls I have gotten from you tonight:tu: :tu: :tu: .

I was wondering if my fuel pumps would keep up. The darned 6lb may eat my lunch.....what do you or anyone else think. I really don't like the AF that lean. I like 11.9 to 12.1....tops.

Is it possible the AF is high because it is cooler outside??? Maybe if it was 70 or above I would be OK.

Rocks
Ron,
I think their A/F is off, based on my experience. Did you check out my files while you were there??
Mark

03'svtlight
01-26-2004, 11:18 PM
hahahahaahahahahahah

L8 APEX
01-26-2004, 11:25 PM
I think Terry owes you $ for that Dyno. Didn't he say he would pay for the dyno pull if you made 30 rwhp? :evilI think you owe me money to smartass, going on 3 weeks now, don't let this go to the collection dept:evil

STEALTH02
01-26-2004, 11:36 PM

Rocks

Honestly you can be ok as long as you get a good tune with the 6lb. Shoot, Rob02 is pushing 500 HP on his stock block :eek2: I myself want to hit 460-480 rwhp and with the ported eatong/6lb/good tuned chip, I feel it can be done while keeping the rods in the block!

03'svtlight
01-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Rob's truck is gonna freakin' roll.................... :tu:

03LightningRocks
01-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Ron,
I think their A/F is off, based on my experience. Did you check out my files while you were there??
Mark
Mark,

I didn't even think to do that. I thought maybe it happened because of my extra boost or the cold weather...:confused: :confused: :confused: .

So maybe you could share your story with me? Are you thinking they may be Higher or Lower???? Are you thinking the A/F meter is off over there?

Thanks,

Rocks

Mark #2
01-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Ron,
See below, I don't think that there is any way it can really be this lean with no detonation.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/30mark-k-dyno2-PB290475-med.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5206&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=500)

03LightningRocks
01-27-2004, 01:51 PM
Mark,

I see what your saying. I would wonder about that too, but Rob had a similar situation wih his Kenne Bell and a JDM Tune. He and I both, could not believe he was not getting detonation. He had his done at a different place and it was very similar to yours.

I'll let him chime in...I hope he does, and explain what he found out. Those readings may be your real A/F's.

Rocks

02BOLT
01-27-2004, 11:56 PM
Mark,

The Monday after we ran at Hallsville, I took my truck over to Alamo Autorsports. Their A/F sensor actually screws into the O2 bung, which I've always heard is more accurate than the tailpipe "sniffer". With 15psi, the truck made right at 490(SAE) RWHP (499 STD). However, the A/F was at 14:1!!!:eek2:

I was like...Holy Sh!t! But it's NOT detonating! Therefore, that A/F can't be correct. Surely their sensor is malfunctioning...or something.

Fast forward to January 10th. I have since pullied "down" to the 3.25" upper(from the 3"), effectively dropping the boost level down to 12.5-13psig. Off to Speedworks I go....

With the same chip, and less boost, and absolutely NO cooldown...we strap her up and let 'er rip. She thumps out 476(SAE) RWHP (488 STD) at 13psi...with a FRICKING 13.8:1 A/F ratio....with NO detonation on 93 octane PUMP gas!

That's two different dynoes on two different days, with NEARLY IDENTICAL A/F results. After consulting with several "tuners", we came to the conclusion that the reason for no detonation was the low timing on the file, and the efficiency of the KB.

Problem is, when you're running that lean, there is absolutely NO margin for error. If that motor had detonated ONE time on that program or, if an injector had gone static for a millisecond, she'd have blown chunks!:vomit: Just take that into consideration, and be careful!!! That is, unless you've got already got something in the works...:twitch:

Later,
Rob:burnout:

03LightningRocks
01-31-2004, 06:10 PM
Before Apten.....6lb lower...14lbs total

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/226StockBlower6L14totalRacetune-med.jpg

After Apten Porting..6lb lower..16.5 lbs total.same tune
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/226Apten6L16_5totalracetune1-med.JPG

Rocks:d

03LightningRocks
01-31-2004, 06:13 PM
Best of all.....Apten Porting...6lb lower...2lbs upper...18lbs total...race tune

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/226Apten_6L2U18TotalRaceTune-med.JPG

StormShadow
01-31-2004, 08:07 PM
Holy Shizzle! Dang Ron, you should be pushing low 11's now 4 sheezy. I thought you were running the 4lb lower and the 2lb upper though? Btw, look how your A/F starts to climb at the end of the pull. I need you to take me for a ride sometime.

03LightningRocks
01-31-2004, 08:14 PM
Holy Shizzle! Dang Ron, you should be pushing low 11's now 4 sheezy. I thought you were running the 4lb lower and the 2lb upper though? Btw, look how your A/F starts to climb at the end of the pull. I need you to take me for a ride sometime.

I switched to a 6lb/2lb for the dyno today. You gotta love interchangables.
Take you for a ride??? OK, but only if you sign a release:d .

03LightningRocks
01-31-2004, 08:24 PM
I switched to a 6lb/2lb for the dyno today. You gotta love interchangables.
Take you for a ride??? OK, but only if you sign a release:d .

On the A/F...I may be lucky it is doing as well as it is...It was tuned for a 6lb over pulley at 15 lbs total boost. I am now slapping 18lbs to it at a 22 degree advance at WOT.

Superchips wants to retune and check it in March when I go to FFW Orlando. I guess i will be going a day early...LOL.

There is more H.P. to be had....from the tune:evil .

Rocks

StormShadow
01-31-2004, 08:27 PM
I wish I had a cool avitar of my truck like you and Rob have of ya'lls.

andy_cain
01-31-2004, 08:29 PM
Seem your truck sure should help dispell some of those myths about our stock blocks being too fragile:tu:

03LightningRocks
01-31-2004, 09:26 PM
Seem your truck sure should help dispell some of those myths about our stock blocks being too fragile:tu:

Shush Wayne....The truck doesn't know it's suppose to throw a rod. I don't want it to know either...:eek2: .

Mark #2
01-31-2004, 09:30 PM
Best of all.....Apten Porting...6lb lower...2lbs upper...18lbs total...race tune

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/226Apten_6L2U18TotalRaceTune-med.JPG

Ron,
Not too bad :) but I still think this is better on just 15 lbs of boost, can't wait to Dyno the 18 lb set up. Ran it today on the street for the first time. Rob, Terry has my old upper pulley for you.
Mark

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/30mark-k-dyno2-PB290475-med.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5206&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=500)

03LightningRocks
01-31-2004, 09:37 PM
Ron,
Not too bad :) but I still think this is better on just 15 lbs of boost, can't wait to Dyno the 18 lb set up.

LOL....2400.00 Better?????? I'll have to think about that one.ROTFLMAO:evil .

Pretty darned good for fighting physics and all...wouldn't you say?

If you didn't do something about those A/F's and you hit that block with 18lbs of boost from that Kenne Bell.....Oh My...it could get interesting.

Rocks

Mark #2
01-31-2004, 09:43 PM
LOL....2400.00 Better?????? I'll have to think about that one.ROTFLMAO:evil .

Pretty darned good for fighting physics and all...wouldn't you say?

If you didn't do something about those A/F's and you hit that block with 18lbs of boost from that Kenne Bell.....Oh My...it could get interesting.

Rocks
Ron, I'm an engineer, my life is about testing the limits, also I don't have near the total money in my truck that you do, just in the right places, All in fun.:)
Mark

03LightningRocks
02-01-2004, 12:23 PM

Here is a before Dyno, so a comparison can be made on gains per dollar spent. It is real darned obvious that the porting is the wisest way to go for a stock block. There is not much point in putting an OVER Capacity after market blower on at 5 times the cost when porting will take you to the limits of stock rods more economically. I have been told by more than one Kenne Bell owner that if this was an option before they bought, it is the way they would have gone.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/226226Pull_2_85_degrees_race_octane_booster_20_tim ing-med.jpg

:beer: to porting.

Rocks

03LightningRocks
02-02-2004, 09:17 PM
I thought some of y'all might get a kick out of this vid. It was with a 6lb lower and stock upper and Apten porting.

http://www.teamwwwracing.com/boostgauge.wmv

Rocks

Crawford
02-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Woah! My dynos take like twice that long! I'll take two!!

03LightningRocks
02-03-2004, 07:54 AM
Woah! My dynos take like twice that long! I'll take two!!

LMAO...yeah, we took that vid while at Kwik Kar last Thursday. The usual dyno guy was not there. The boost gage vid was the only thing of value we got out of the day. The guy that was doing the pulls was a mess. Six pulls and all of them useless as Gomer Pyle attempted to learn on the job.

I ended up at Speed Works on Saturday to get some numbers. I won't be going back to Kwick Kar for a dyno.

Rocks

Crawford
02-03-2004, 10:34 AM
LMAO...yeah, we took that vid while at Kwik Kar last Thursday. The usual dyno guy was not there. The boost gage vid was the only thing of value we got out of the day. The guy that was doing the pulls was a mess. Six pulls and all of them useless as Gomer Pyle attempted to learn on the job.
I ended up at Speed Works on Saturday to get some numbers. I won't be going back to Kwick Kar for a dyno.
Rocks
Yeah I couldnt agree more. I did a tag along with Mark#2 when he got his new blower dynoed and we had to stand arround forever before they would put the truck on the dyno... its very obvious that they would MUCH rather change oil than mess with the dyno. Who ever ran the dyno knew pretty much what they were doing. I wont be taking my truck to that place ever.