PDA

View Full Version : Factory Tonneau or not

Sandman
02-05-2004, 01:37 PM
I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to order the factory tonneau with my L. Here's my idea tonneau.

-Doesn't leak when its raining
-low profile
-covers the bedcaps ( I hate seeing the black cover, grey bedcaps, and then the color of the truck. I doesn't look clean to me. )
-does not use snaps
-no drilling required to install
-easily removed for towing
-under $500

I have looked at the extang saber online and it looks pretty nice. But I would like to see some other options in person. Are there any shops around here that carry alot of tonneaus that I can look at?

This will be the first tonneau for a truck of mine, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

REXRENEGADE
02-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Check these guys out. They have a special cover for Lightnings. Click on truck shells after the link below opens. I think these cost more than $500 though. Man are they cool looking!

www.innovationfiberglass.com (http://www.innovationfiberglass.com/)

Curtis J
:cool:

PoorSvtman
02-05-2004, 03:41 PM
snug lid has a real nice hard shell cover. But its more than 500 bucks. Im not sure how much they are since insruace paid for mine but ask Nuhklz, he just ordered the same one i have.

tliss
02-05-2004, 03:57 PM
I got my SnugLid for just under $1000 installed. I know it's more than the $500 you have allotted, but the fiberglass lid is much better than the factory cover, and will match your specs perfectly.

Tom

Sandman
02-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm not sure I want a fiberglass lid though. It's outside of my budget for this piece, but I may change my mind. Are there any dealers around here where I can go look at some?

tliss
02-05-2004, 04:58 PM
DFW Camper Corral at 35E/635 intersection. Or go to the meeting tonight and there'll probably be a few there.

Tom

Nuhklz
02-05-2004, 05:08 PM
snug lid has a real nice hard shell cover. But its more than 500 bucks. Im not sure how much they are since insruace paid for mine but ask Nuhklz, he just ordered the same one i have.
I just got home from having the new lid installed. :banana: I got the single lock SnugLid and it really ties the whole truck together :D .

my2002lightning
02-05-2004, 05:24 PM
FWIW, I've had the factory soft-tonneau since I picked up the L almost a year ago and haven't had any problems with it.

We've run into some pretty good rain-storms moving down here to TX and our goods didn't get soaked (Bed-Rug installed, too).

Later on down the road, I would like to get a lockable hard "lid" installed to store things with security in mind.

Ronald

Nuhklz
02-05-2004, 05:33 PM
I had the factory for a little while and was impressed. I bought the lid for security reasons with maybe a little cosmetics in mind.

99WhiteBeast
02-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm not sure I want a fiberglass lid though. It's outside of my budget for this piece, but I may change my mind. Are there any dealers around here where I can go look at some?
Andy- come out to the meeting tonight and you'll get the best sampling ever. There will be at least 5 to 6 different types on hand and you can see them on the L- what more could you ask for.

I only know of one for under $500 (Checkmate FX) but I don't think you'll be happy with it-especially when you have drive to Kentucky to get it:eek2:

You diffidently get what you pay for in toppers- I've had 3 different trucks and 3 different toppers.

http://www.checkerpro.com/ (Checkmate FX-under 500)

http://www.gemtopmfg.com/home1.html
(Gemtop GT Classic- only steel/fiberglass one I know of- about $680 painted to match)

The perferred ones for L's are Snuglid, Gaylord, and Innovation- all expect to pay between 750-1000.

Sandman
02-05-2004, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure if I'll make it to tonights meeting. Its a long drive from here. What time is everybody there? What time does everybody leave? If I don't make it tonight, I'll make it to the next one for sure. I would really like to look at some of the trucks and get some idea for mods.

As far as the bedcover, I think I might just order the factory one. Then if I want another, I can sell it. Does the factory cover use snaps???

99WhiteBeast
02-05-2004, 06:28 PM
I'm not sure if I'll make it to tonights meeting. Its a long drive from here. What time is everybody there? What time does everybody leave? If I don't make it tonight, I'll make it to the next one for sure. I would really like to look at some of the trucks and get some idea for mods.

As far as the bedcover, I think I might just order the factory one. Then if I want another, I can sell it. Does the factory cover use snaps???

We start to gather between 5:30-6:30- eat at 7 and generally there till 8:30-9 come on out- 45 min drive tops after 6:30. Will be in the lot east of Hooters next to Taco Hell.

Don't know about the factory cover- think it may be velcro:confused:

Nuhklz
02-06-2004, 08:05 AM
...Does the factory cover use snaps???
The factory tonneau is a tongue in groove set-up. The cover has a plastic tongue all around the edges which fit into a groove around the mounting frame. There is no velcro or snaps.