PDA

View Full Version : Any info? 351 "HO" (high output)??

mardyn
02-05-2004, 05:16 PM
As many of y'all know, I'm seeking a new 351W to update the power in my car. I might have access to a new 351 "HO" crate engine... anybody have any info on exactly what an HO or High Output designation means? Is this similar to the Gen 1 Lightning engine?

mardyn

99WhiteBeast
02-05-2004, 06:25 PM
David,
The 351 HO was the name give to the production engine that replaced the Boss 351 in 1972. It was Cleveland style head on Cleveland (non Windsor) block. Started the decline of Ford power and would not think that would be a desirable combo.

Is the crate motor a 351W H.O.? If so anyone's guess because I've never heard of that combo.

I would try and stick with the 351W from the L motor (GT40 heads, and GT40 upper and lowers) if you can find one unless you already have aftermarket heads planned.
Good Luck with the project:tu:

Razor
02-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Try coasthighperformance or D.S.S.
David,
The 351 HO was the name give to the production engine that replaced the Boss 351 in 1972. It was Cleveland style head on Cleveland (non Windsor) block. Started the decline of Ford power and would not think that would be a desirable combo.

Is the crate motor a 351W H.O.? If so anyone's guess because I've never heard of that combo.

I would try and stick with the 351W from the L motor (GT40 heads, and GT40 upper and lowers) if you can find one unless you already have aftermarket heads planned.
Good Luck with the project:tu:

TP Derrick D
02-05-2004, 11:03 PM
As many of y'all know, I'm seeking a new 351W to update the power in my car. I might have access to a new 351 "HO" crate engine... anybody have any info on exactly what an HO or High Output designation means? Is this similar to the Gen 1 Lightning engine?

mardyn
Not totally sure about the 351 but the 302 HO was also in the V8 Stangs before they went modular and I know they were windsors. How soon you need to know? I plan on getting in touch with my crew chief by this weekend and I could find out .also one of my crew members that programs and do the laptop work on the dyno has a Gen 1 L that I think he's changing out to a 408 or stroking the 351, he may be able to answer any and all Q's you have..

mardyn
02-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Well, I remember the 302 HO and was hoping the 351 HO was its big brother... but what would they have used 'em in? I haven't a clue...
Yea, Steve, the cleveland headed engine deal is not an option at all for me... it's got to be a Windsor so my new supercharger will fit the GT40 intake setup... any additional info would really be appreciated..

I did find a 95 Gen1 351W but it's up in NJ, it's a complete engine with electrics, 33K miles and the guy wants 2500.00... What do y'all think about that deal?

I'd really like to start with a new engine if possible, but finances might dictate otherwise..
mardyn :)

min150mph
02-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Why not buy an already built crate motor if you don't have the engine. There are several out there with different internals and you could get a stroked one too.

Edit: Forgot I had this link bookmarked. Might give you some good information.
http://www.geocities.com/8351/351Wtech.html

From the website: A 351 H.O. 2bbl was produced in 1980 1/2 for police work and many police vehicles like Crown Vic.s continued to use this motor.

mardyn
02-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the info... that page is a wealth of information on the 351W engine.

Just checked with my friend, who knows this guy, who has a friend, who's cousin works for... well, y'all get the idea, but basically, no news yet on the engine availability..

mardyn :D

TP Derrick D
02-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Not totally sure about the 351 but the 302 HO was also in the V8 Stangs before they went modular and I know they were windsors. How soon you need to know? I plan on getting in touch with my crew chief by this weekend and I could find out .also one of my crew members that programs and do the laptop work on the dyno has a Gen 1 L that I think he's changing out to a 408 or stroking the 351, he may be able to answer any and all Q's you have..
I did contact my crew chief about that engine.. he said its an early 90's non roller cam engine. I didn't get any info on it being Windsor or Cleveland. As for as my pit crew member he's stroking his Gen 1 to a 408 but using most of the bottom end. He is changing the GT-40 out to a Downs bread box .If you would like to talk to my crew chief about that engine or my pit crew member selling any of his L's 351 parts reply to this message or sent a PM and I 'll contact you back.You putting this engine in a Gen 1 or something else?

mardyn
02-07-2004, 01:15 PM
At this point I'm exploring options for my repower project... ideally, I'd really like a stroked 351W @ about 380 to 390 ci, hydraulic roller, AFR aluminum heads and 'bout a 8:1 CR to work with my new supercharger... I've been kinda' beating the bushes for information over the past few days and really gettin' some good ideas and leads.

Engine will be used to replace the existing 5.0L EFI in my car now... my ride originally came with a 351W from the factory, hence my desire to go back with that as a base engine. I'll be using the OEM style EFI again along with an upgrade to a T56 six speed somewhere along the way as I know the T5's life span will be severely limited with the addition torque of the larger engine.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's imput over here at Talon. Y'all are a great source and one of my favorite sites to visit now days...

mardyn