PDA

View Full Version : Need some info

OkieHog
02-08-2004, 07:33 AM
I am looking at a 95-L. It is a very low miles truck (CarFax even says so). However, it has some issues, and I need some input from you Lightning freaks that really know your stuff. (Hope I am in the right forum with this, if not please let me know.)
This truck once had an aftermarket SC. MSD 6 was also added, along with different ECC (whatever the heck that is! I am NOT a mechanic!!).
It now has quad shocks on the rear. Seems I heard that was factory. True? False? It also has the really longer studs on the rear wheels, so, it was clearly used for dragging at one time.
Troubles: I hired a guy to inspect this truck for me. He says it looks new and smells new inside and out. However, he says when you try to accelerate, it backfires through the intake, badly. He says his Taurus wagon would out run this truck!!! He says it is a DOG! AARGH!! :hammer: (And yes, I do trust this inspector. I don't think he is trying to get the truck himself. Real nice guy with good reputation.)
Second, all, and I mean all, with the exception of the compressor, of the underhood A/C components have been removed. :confused: Compressor is wide open, no plugs, so it is shot too. Now, I could replace that stuff, but is expensive of course. It has a huge aftermarket aluminum radiator on it, with twin fans.
So, what I am asking is, what does the misfiring/backfiring sound like to you guys? Serious? Don't worry about it? What?
The truck has less than 50K actual on it. Let's say it was campaigned a good bit, how strong are these motors, so that, if it was raced for a couple of hard seasons? Guy that inspected it says it sounds strong. Could there be a cam problem with the backfiring, though? He says it does idle well, by the way.
I need some professional input. I really would like this truck even if I need to do a bit of work to get it running strong again. But, I don't want to buy into a "money pit" just because it is low miles.
All help and suggestions appreciated.

Wht95Lightning
02-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Sounds like you're looking at a well loved truck. :D Since it had an SC and an MSD6 it's probably still tuned for that setup and hence runs like crap without those items.
The backfiring could be caused by timing or the wrong computer or chip. It could be as simple as pulling a chip (if it has one) and resetting the timing to get it back in order. OR, it could have a more serious problem with the cam or distributor. I would put it on a scope and see how it's firing.
A Gen 1 that's been raced seriously could potentially have serious hidden problems (i.e. diff or trans). These trucks are tough but anything can be torn up in the hands of the right person.
How much $$ is he trying to get for it? Is the guy that's selling it the one who raced it and did all the mods?

99WhiteBeast
02-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Don,
There are lots of these trucks for sale right now and some in awesome shape. Unless this one is a steal or your intent is to build a drag truck I would look elsewhere.
My .02

I counted over 10 for sale on NLOC.
http://www.nloc.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=418

Razor
02-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Sounds like timing is messed up...and quads were not part of the 93-95L...slapper bars were and tortion/sway bar and leafs and 2 shocks. Either he has the timing set past 14 base or the msd is wired wrong.

mardyn
02-08-2004, 01:55 PM
The back firing through the intake is a sure sign of timing issues or perhaps even a valve problem... If the A/C system has been removed, with exception of the compressor (and it's left open??)... man, this thing sounds like a hack job... if it's a steal, it might... repeat MIGHT be worth it... anything close to wholesale value would be, IMO, too much...

btw... what's the price? That'll really tell the story.... $600.00 Hell yea, buy it! $6000.00... I don't think so, run like hell... :nono:

Oh yea, I'm not really a Lightning guy (yet), but this forum and its members are indeed very knowlegable on these kinda' issues. You're in the right spot...

mardyn :D

cpeapea
02-08-2004, 03:12 PM
yea id look elsewhere

i just realized there was a really nice looking white gen 1 right down my street in irving

Sixpipes
02-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Depends on what you are looking for I guess. I bought Razor's truck and it is very "straight". I don't have to spend a dime on it if I don't want to. Looks like maybe the truck you are looking at might have issues. Stock engine and drive train would not be too awful expensive if replaced over time so it just depends on how much you have to pay up front.

You might be able to swap some of the stuff for stock pieces (PM me if you are interested), but you have to decide if it is worth the hassle. :cool: