PDA

View Full Version : Slicks tire pressure?

Crawford
02-17-2004, 04:16 PM
I have 28x11.5x16 Hoosier QTPs. What tire pressure should I run em at?

benyouall
02-17-2004, 05:15 PM
I have 28x11.5x16 Hoosier QTPs. What tire pressure should I run em at? crawford i have good luck with 16 cold.if you can put 16 in cold do a good burn out on a place where you can check the track. you will ajust pressure up or down to get side to side coverage of tire track. i would never go lower than 14 as in 1/4 the truck will walk around at speed lower pressure. ben

Sixpipes
02-17-2004, 10:03 PM
I've run from 16-20 pounds depending on the conditions. Since the tire you are using is larger, you might need to run the pressure on the low end to make it squat properly. :cool:

02BOLT
02-17-2004, 11:31 PM
Sam,

At around 400rwhp, I'd start out at 16.5-17cold. Do a good burnout, which will bring the pressure up 1.5-2psi. I realize this sounds high, but you have to keep in mind that our trucks are much heavier than a car, so all of the stuff we know about running slicks on a car goes out the window. Trust me...at 17psi cold, they will squat and hook just fine!

You want as much air pressure as you can hook up with, because once you're out of the hole, the rolling resistance from the biased ply slicks is only slowing you down, due to the fact that the motor has to work harder to turn them over.:burnout:

Good Luck Bro!:tu:
Rob

Crawford
02-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks guys. I got the slicks mounted on the rims today and I am going to the Ennis thing on Friday so I am ready to kick some ass. Hard to believe just a couple years ago I never fathomed having my own set of slicks. My my how times change. More mods are on the horizon too... Hell I still need a line loc and an Apten! :banana:

Band
02-18-2004, 12:42 AM
Here's a good read about doing your burnout..

http://www.svtparts.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=196&

It may not be the best way, but he is so descriptive you could use his method as a starting point. Then change they way you burnout according to your experiences....