PDA

View Full Version : Got Home with My New Lightning!!

OkieHog
02-21-2004, 07:56 AM
Got home with my new Lightning in great shape! Truck is very solid, and has that "feel" of well maintained. Beautiful truck too. Trip home was totally uneventful, with lots of folks pulling up beside the truck just looking at it. Younger guys especially, interestingly enough. Got some "thumbs up" signals and all that. Cool ride

Gas mileage was 13mpg for the first tank facing a very strong headwind. 13 is not good!
Second tank (Man, I already hate these little bitty tanks!!) was 14 with a crossing wind.
Third tank was a solid 16 with the wind having turned from the north and then dying out completely. 16 is good for me!!
This truck has sat in the dealer's garage for several months, just being started occasionally. That probably contributed to the bad mileage as well.

Now, what are the cheapest, most effective ways to get my mileage up on this thing, and maybe pick up a few horses along the way?

Got some questions now, that will undoubtedly betray my ignorance, but hey, we only learn from asking right??

1.) How do I go about determining the exact # of my truck. Original owner's papers are not in the truck. His name is on the title and I will be contacting him hoping he has all the original stuff.
2.) What is that "Power Point" control knob/flap thing in the lower middle of the dash? Is that the "annoying passenger eject switch"; or maybe a graphics program to "work as you drive"? What the heck is that thing? I was afraid to pull it on the way home, on the highway, not knowing what would happen! :-)
3.) Are these tube rear bumpers the desired ones, or the regular type? Second, are these tubes bumpers good enough to actually pull a trailer with a car on it?

Man, I am really excited about this thing. With the exception of the graphics on the tail gate, I think it is a knockout. And, hey, I don't look at the tail-gate, so I don't even know at this point if I am going to redo that.

If someone will tell me how to do it, I will take some pics of the truck for the board.
OkieHog proud new owner of a Red 95-L
:dp:

Wht95Lightning
02-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Cool :nana2

You can call 1-800-FORD-SVT to get your build number.

That Power Point is just a socket to plug in accessories like your radar detector or beer cooler etc.

The tube bumpers look good but I think they will tow less than the step bumber. I got the towing package on mine and it came with a step bumper.

Razor
02-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Go with a hiden frame hitch..where you fold the license plate down to stab the hitch. Conceal it!:tu:

99WhiteBeast
02-21-2004, 09:10 AM
Don,
Glad you made it back uneventful. I bought mine in Atlanta last June and drove it back as well. The best MPG I ever got was that trip due to sustained cruising for long periods of time- which was 14-16. However since then my around town MPG is about 10-11 because I can't keep my foot out of it- those 4:10 gears make the truck a blast to drive.:d

1. Take your vin# AND call 800-FORDSVT or 800SVTFORD can't remember to get your build number and born on date
2. The "powerpoint" is nothing more than another point for power like a cigarette lighter. I use it for my cell phone charger
3. The tube bumper I beleive was an option each year and as far as I'm considered it is the desirable one. You'll see a step type bumper on some G1's but I don't personally think they look as good.

The graphics on the tailgate were not stock for 95 it only should have the ford badge on the left and a small SVT emblem on the right.

NOW make one more small road trip this Sunday so we can get you in the group picture:tu:

Here's a site that has a wealth of information on the G1's
http://www.thebaskins.com/faq.htm

skalywags
02-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I agree that the tube bumperis the one of choice. I had it on my '94, when I ownwed it. I had the dealer put it on, since the it had the step bumper when I bought it. They gave me both. So for years I had carried that damn step bumper around, even after getting rid of the truck. I gave the step bumper to my brother in law just less than a year ago, I didn't know about this site then. i would have rather given it a L owner. I think he put it on a POS 4x4 (if he did at all). I will find out if not I will try to get it, and post it for the first one who wants it!