PDA

View Full Version : Real strange noises, any ideas?

kragle23
02-23-2004, 12:45 AM
I am experiencing two very strange noises that I can't figure out what they are??? I posted on nloc friday about having tranny problems, only to find out that it was due to my tune on my Predator. Now, however, when I start the truck up, it sounds like someone putting air into an air tank. Really weird, only does it when you put it in gear, not while in neutral...

The other one is when driving, at any speed above 10mph, there is a very apparent "whine" that sounds like it is coming from the brake booster area. At 70, it is a very noticable noise, like something trying to turn without fluid in it? Upon deceleration, you can hear it wind down steadily until it dissapears RIGHT AT 10mph. At first I though it was in the tranny, because of the problems that i was having, but after having my wife drive while I listened, it is definatly behind the dash somewhere.

BTW, the brake booster container has a Bosch label on it, and since I bought the truck used, I have a feeling that this isn't an OEM part? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

PS Sorry I missed the picture day, I wish I could have made it, looked like a blast and great turnout!!!

L8 APEX
02-23-2004, 12:55 AM
Sounds like a vacuum leak on some of it. Do you have an aftermarket gauge or any line that came loose or cracked. An open air cleaner can whistle or made induction noise.

kragle23
02-23-2004, 01:03 AM
Sounds like a vacuum leak on some of it. Do you have an aftermarket gauge or any line that came loose or cracked. An open air cleaner can whistle or made induction noise.

Terry,

No gauges, I had a line loose that plugged into the black boost solenoid right above the booster. It was off for about three days before I noticed it, don't know if that could have screwed anything up???

I do have an open filter, but this just started friday, and I put the filter on last tuesday... :confused:

L8 APEX
02-23-2004, 01:18 AM
With the truck cold you can take the accessory belt off and drive it a short time 2-3 minutes no problem. You will have no water pump or power steering. This will rule out any accessories from making your noise namely the power steering pump and charger. Check the EGR vacuum line they occassionally burn in two.

kragle23
02-23-2004, 01:30 AM
With the truck cold you can take the accessory belt off and drive it a short time 2-3 minutes no problem. You will have no water pump or power steering. This will rule out any accessories from making your noise namely the power steering pump and charger. Check the EGR vacuum line they occassionally burn in two.

Terry,

Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow.

:beer:

Red2002
02-23-2004, 03:27 AM
Hey bro, glad to hear that your tranny woes were insignificant.

By the way, her name was Piper Bragg. Ring a bell? :D

kragle23
02-23-2004, 08:55 AM
Laurence,

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING!!!!!

She was my BEST FRIEND in high school! She was in my class and graduated in 99 with me. How ironic!

Oh the stories we could probably share... :beer:

In other news, I hope to figure out this sound today if this rain will let up... :hammer:

Red2002
02-23-2004, 04:48 PM
LMAO! Man that's too funny! I had a 94 Taurus SHO when I hung around with her. She took me to the airport one day in it and was supposed to take my car back to my house, but she drove it that entire week and curb checked the sh*t out of my new wheels. lol Had to laugh....

I haven't seen her in about a year and a half, but we were pretty good friends. :tu: We just lost touch with each other. Last I heard she was living with her aunt in that enormous new house in Dallas off of Preston. I went to her uncle's funeral with her, where I met her Constable father. He was a real cool guy, but you could tell he had the cop-father thing going on.:nono: :D

Holla back at me and let me know what's up. And yup, we can share stories. :)

...didn't mean to hijack your thread though. I'll take it to PM so you can get your problem remedied here. I forgot to add that when my main planetary disinigrated, the transmission WAS making a grinding sound, however faint. It wasn't until another hundred miles did the entire unit let go.

kragle23
02-24-2004, 11:16 PM
If this rain will ever let up, I might be able to check some things out...

Don't know about the metroplex, but we've gotten over 2.5 inches here, very much needed! :tu:

Laurence, I'll pm you so we can tell some tales. Funny thing is I remember her telling me the story of messing up the wheels on her friends car :eek2:

BTW, James sent my new program over today, but I can't test it because of this weather. Hopefully, it is all fixed! knana