PDA

View Full Version : Swanson Mod a Possible bad idea?

03LightningRocks
02-23-2004, 01:40 AM
I had a little mishap at the track this weekend....thanks to a dime stuck in the PCV system:eek2: . I wonder how the heck that got in there????

Seriously though...after running my first pass at Hallsville, I noticed the pcv on the passenger side was out of it's hole. I wonder how the heck that happened and stick it back in. After the next pass, it is out again. This time oil is fricking dripping all over the valve cover.

I pulled the dime out and put all the parts back in the proper places. I make the next pass and this time the pcv stayed in place.

Now I am not a rocket engineer, but I am thinking that the Swanson mod may not be a great idea when making big boost. It never did it when I was hitting 15lbs. I am at 18lbs now and no longer have a dime stuck in the pcv system.

Rocks:tu:

03'svtlight
02-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Your crankcase pressure prolley flew to the ceiling. Had to vent somewhere. I'm afraid to do the dime mod. Might create blow-by. :nono:

f150freak
02-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Not to sound like a dumb a$$ but isnt that why you use a crankcase breather filter with the dime mod? or did your PCV valve pop out even with the breather filter? I'm running the dime mod with a breather filter and I havent had a single problem yet.

Band
02-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Not to sound like a dumb a$$ but isnt that why you use a crankcase breather filter with the dime mod? or did your PCV valve pop out even with the breather filter? I'm running the dime mod with a breather filter and I havent had a single problem yet.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about... But Ron does have the oil breather cap...

03LightningRocks
02-23-2004, 03:06 PM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about... But Ron does have the oil breather cap...

We are talking about a mod that is suppose to help keep oil out of the back of our intake plenum and off the intercooler coil.

Yes, I have a breather. I am thinking that once you get your boost past a certain level, the pressure builds enough to cause problems with the "dime" mod.

Rocks

Mark #2
02-23-2004, 04:08 PM
We are talking about a mod that is suppose to help keep oil out of the back of our intake plenum and off the intercooler coil.

Yes, I have a breather. I am thinking that once you get your boost past a certain level, the pressure builds enough to cause problems with the "dime" mod.

Rocks
Wow, I agree with something Ron posted.:)
I had the same problem when I installed the KB, also check your valve cover gasket for any leaks, especially near the PCV valve. If the pressure is enough to blow the PCV valve it is high enough to blow out the valve cover gasket too.

I removed the dime and stuck back in the separator and original PCV valve.

Mark

Crawford
02-23-2004, 04:41 PM
I have the Swanson mod on myself. I can verify that it does what it says, keeps oil out of the intake. At what cost has my interest perked. I may have to take it off. I never had a very big oil problem anyway. I knew I kept that old PCV valve for a reason! Now I just have to find it. :D

03LightningRocks
02-23-2004, 04:56 PM
Wow, I agree with something Ron posted.:)
I had the same problem when I installed the KB, also check your valve cover gasket for any leaks, especially near the PCV valve. If the pressure is enough to blow the PCV valve it is high enough to blow out the valve cover gasket too.

I removed the dime and stuck back in the separator and original PCV valve.

Mark
I will have to check the valve cover gasket. Thanks for the heads up.

I was wondering about wether or not I needed to go back to my stock pcv. It sounds like you feel it is necessary. I guess my next outing is to the parts house.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I have been uneasy about this "mod" since the day I put it in. Now I know why.

Rocks:beer:

cpeapea
02-23-2004, 07:17 PM
ron ron ron ron ron...didnt i tell you that was a bad idea? maybe next time youll know better than to not listen to me:nono: get that dime out of there.

99WhiteBeast
02-23-2004, 07:45 PM
I have the mod and haven't expercienced any issues.

Of course I'm not blowing all that hot air (boost) like Ron and Mark:evil

02BOLT
02-23-2004, 11:07 PM
That is one of the FEW mods I have refused to let myself get too interested in. I just cannot bring myself to sticking a coin in my PCV system. So far(just over 25,000 miles), I reckon I've just been lucky that I haven't had any issues related to oil contamination as of YET. When we had the motor out, I was really surprised at how clean my intercooler core, and intake was. Ofcourse they had residue in them, but not enough to cause for concern.

IMHO, more harm can probably come to the engine in the long run by going to all these lengths to keep the oil out of the places that Ford engineered it to go. That's just the theory that I subscribe to. All I'm saying is to be careful when jacking with the motor's PCV system.:)

Later,
Rob:burnout:

Crawford
02-24-2004, 12:39 AM
You guys are freakin me out. I am going to have to pull that thing off tomorrow night. Ah well, gives me something to do at least. knana

03LightningRocks
02-24-2004, 02:46 AM
To sum it up......It is a stupid Idea. I should have known better. The minute I did it...I didn't like it. But I thought, what the heck, if so many are doing it, why not. So there it is....Swanson gets a great big dip sh!t award from me...not that he cares. I'm sure he has bigger things to worry about.

No dime mod Rocks