PDA

View Full Version : Very Surprised

byrd35us
02-24-2004, 07:19 AM
Just have a story I would like to share...I just bought my L about 1 week ago and from what I have heard they run 13.50 - 13.80 in the 1/4 mile stock...well last night I got called out by a Supercharged Mustang GT 2001 model....well I already new that this guy went 12.52 in the 1/4 so I was expecting to lose but will never turn down a race...needless to say we went out and ran and I acctually beat him it was only by a fender but I am very impressed with my L... anyone know how to tell if there is a stock pulley or aftermarket on the vehicle...because everyone said there had to be something done to this truck for me to beat this guy...

As a new L owner
7-0
undefeated

03LightningRocks
02-24-2004, 07:48 AM
Just have a story I would like to share...I just bought my L about 1 week ago and from what I have heard they run 13.50 - 13.80 in the 1/4 mile stock...well last night I got called out by a Supercharged Mustang GT 2001 model....well I already new that this guy went 12.52 in the 1/4 so I was expecting to lose but will never turn down a race...needless to say we went out and ran and I acctually beat him it was only by a fender but I am very impressed with my L... anyone know how to tell if there is a stock pulley or aftermarket on the vehicle...because everyone said there had to be something done to this truck for me to beat this guy...

As a new L owner
7-0
undefeated
Did you buy a new L or a used L? If he really does run 12.5x's...something has to have been done to your L. Did you get a good jump on him?

As far as how to tell about the pulley...if you can post a pic of your lower pulley, I can tell what you have.

Maybe someone here can post a pic of the stock pulley and cage so you can see if yours is the same.

What kind of boost are you seeing at the gage?

Rocks:beer:

Oh...and welcome to the forum.

Sixpipes
02-24-2004, 08:30 AM
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/8pullies-med.JPG

From the left..........4#, 2#, and stock lower pullies. Lightnings are known for their hole-shot ability on the street so unless you actually have a run to 100+ mph, it is hard to figure out where you stand against another vehicle. Sounds like you may have a few goodies on there. :cool:

byrd35us
02-24-2004, 08:56 AM
to answer both of yalls questions...I know the truck has a full exhaust with magna flow...and when we raced I put about a full car lenth on him of the line and we raced till bout 105-108 ish. when I punch it to the floor the stock boost gauge is reading past 10 if there were and 11 past the 10 it would read 11 1/2. but not sure how accurate the stock gauges are. and I know the guy ran a 12.5 because I was at the track in baytown with him when he did it. I was there in my 5.0. I will look under my truck and see if my pulley looks like thoses

byrd35us
02-24-2004, 09:00 AM
oh and the truck is a 2001 I bought it used but the previous owner had a chip on it and other things because he blew the original motor that came with the truck. and they pulled his old motor and order and new one from ford and now I have a brand new motor. With a full warranty..But if he did have a different pulley on the truck they would have put it back on because that probably doesnt come with the new motor..I am going to check and see which one mine matches...is there a certain width of a stock pulley compare to the others..so i could measure and be sure

03'svtlight
02-24-2004, 09:28 AM
If a car runs 12.50's it probably had some sort of soft compound tire so a street race doesn't mean you ran 12.5 just because you race him. Traction is THE single most important aspect of drag racing. On the street their is none unless you guys prepared the launch spot with VHT AND did a John Force style burnout. The way the law dawgs are writing tickets, there's no way you can do that like us old cats used to do it in front of Carter High. :D All I'm saying is there's really no way to gauge it because even though this mustang has run a 12.5, that race you guys had could've been over 13 seconds do to alot of spinning. :cool:

Silver_2000
02-24-2004, 09:31 AM
The stock pullies ALL have the silver center like the one on the right in Sixpipes picture....

Thats the easiest way to tell when you are looking at the pulley to see if its stock or not ...

03LightningRocks
02-24-2004, 09:42 AM
11lbs of boost doesn't sound stock. I was at 8lbs stock, and I have read as much as 9lbs.

sixpipes posted the pic above of the different pulleys. From that, look at yours and see if you have the stock one. I bet you don't.

Rocks

byrd35us
02-24-2004, 09:46 AM
well i wasnt trying to say that I ran a 12.5 last night...and as far as traction this guy was running the exact same tires on the street as on the track but I know its not the same and that we probably did run a mid to low 13..but that is still pretty fast for a street race...I also raced this guy with my mustang 5.0 which has a 100 shot of NOS and ran 12.72 at the track and he beat me by probably a car and 1/2. So all I am trying to say is that my truck went above and beyond my expectations and I got a lot of respect for my truck from beating this guy.

byrd35us
02-24-2004, 09:51 AM
well i just check my my pulley and it looks to be stock it has that thing in the middle and isnt very deep its almost flush with edge of the center piece...so I would assume that my boost gauges has to be wrong for it to show that much boost. I dont know not sure where im getting all this power from

Sixpipes
02-24-2004, 05:27 PM
well i just check my my pulley and it looks to be stock it has that thing in the middle and isnt very deep its almost flush with edge of the center piece...so I would assume that my boost gauges has to be wrong for it to show that much boost. I dont know not sure where im getting all this power from
Go_rila has run a 12.73 with a chippenfilter and no pulley and a 12.90 with no chip and a 4# pulley so there are a lot of possibilities. :cool:

TP Derrick D
02-24-2004, 10:25 PM
If a car runs 12.50's it probably had some sort of soft compound tire so a street race doesn't mean you ran 12.5 just because you race him. Traction is THE single most important aspect of drag racing. On the street their is none unless you guys prepared the launch spot with VHT AND did a John Force style burnout. The way the law dawgs are writing tickets, there's no way you can do that like us old cats used to do it in front of Carter High. :D All I'm saying is there's really no way to gauge it because even though this mustang has run a 12.5, that race you guys had could've been over 13 seconds do to alot of spinning. :cool:
Carter High? Went there once in 2002 to hush up a guy in his new '03 Vette. I was in my Stang, he pulled me 2 cars off the line, his car was auto and he lowered tire pressure and did a burnout. I did no burnout and was running street tires at normal pressure.Took off I just sat there smoking them up by time I caught traction he was 2 car lenghts out but when the Stang finally hooked after spinning all way through 1st , pulled 2nd ,3rd, I blew by him and beat him by almost 3 car lenghts .After that he talked no more trash and actually did this: :bows to the Stang. He even came to FFW Ennis to watch me run true street that year and after seeing my car do the same thing(spin on street tires, with a 2.4 60') and still run 119+ in the 1/4 he was like damn! thats why you kicked my a$$. I was all :D

03'svtlight
02-24-2004, 10:27 PM
:D :bows :bows