PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone interested in starting a gas war???

Mr.Ed
02-26-2004, 09:30 PM
Is there anyone interested in us getting together and starting a gas war?

StormShadow
02-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Like the "pull my finger" game?

Mr.Ed
02-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Like the "pull my finger" game?

No I'm serious!!

Wht95Lightning
02-26-2004, 10:55 PM
What is a gas war exactly?

Sandman
02-26-2004, 10:58 PM
:confused:

Mr.Ed
02-26-2004, 11:31 PM
:confused:

A gas war is where stations start dropping their price of gas to get you to buy your gas from them. We all have to have gas but we do have the priviledge of buying it where we prefer. That is all there is to it!!! :banana:

Ed

Sandman
02-26-2004, 11:33 PM
A gas war is where stations start dropping their price of gas to get you to buy your gas from them. We all have to have gas but we do have the priviledge of buying it where we prefer. That is all there is to it!!! :banana:

Ed
I think we should buy from the gas station by me:banana:

03LightningRocks
02-26-2004, 11:34 PM

Start a gas war??????????? I am interested to hear how you are going to accomplish that?

Rocks:eek2:

Mr.Ed
02-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Start a gas war??????????? I am interested to hear how you are going to accomplish that?

Rocks:eek2:
We all have to buy gas to feed our gas guzzling L's so lets support the stations that get their gas from Mexico or Canada etc. This is the plan: we can't get gas any cheaper fron Citco Site Conoco Phillips66 than any of the OPEC supplied stations such as (Mobile-Exxon) etc, because NAFTA says if OPEC charges $30 a barrel they have to follow suit. So we will still pay the same price for our gas there as we would at OPEC supplied stations. The oil ministers dictate what the oil prices are from their country as well as our country. BUT they don't control where we buy our gas. We still can control that.(for now anyway) So we simply buy our gas from Conoco-Citgo-Phillips66 or Site. Then if we stick together on this eventually OPEC will see that we are still getting by without actually buying gas from them and they will drop their price to get us to buy from them. Then every other station will also drop their price, causing a gas war. It doesn't require any effort from any of us and causes no inconveniances whatsoever. We will still have fun driving our trucks but OPEC isn't making any money off us.

Thanks for asking
Ed :bows

03LightningRocks
02-27-2004, 12:23 AM
We all have to buy gas to feed our gas guzzling L's so lets support the stations that get their gas from Mexico or Canada etc. This is the plan: we can't get gas any cheaper fron Citco Site Conoco Phillips66 than any of the OPEC supplied stations such as (Mobile-Exxon) etc, because NAFTA says if OPEC charges $30 a barrel they have to follow suit. So we will still pay the same price for our gas there as we would at OPEC supplied stations. The oil ministers dictate what the oil prices are from their country as well as our country. BUT they don't control where we buy our gas. We still can control that.(for now anyway) So we simply buy our gas from Conoco-Citgo-Phillips66 or Site. Then if we stick together on this eventually OPEC will see that we are still getting by without actually buying gas from them and they will drop their price to get us to buy from them. Then every other station will also drop their price, causing a gas war. It doesn't require any effort from any of us and causes no inconveniances whatsoever. We will still have fun driving our trucks but OPEC isn't making any money off us.

Thanks for asking
Ed :bows

Well that should be easy for me....I buy Citgo gas anyway. I would not put Exxon/Mobile in a lawn mower. Exxon/Mobile has one of the, if not the , lowest energy content of just about every brand there is. Exxon/Mobile is sh!t gas.:tu:

Rocks

Mr.Ed
02-27-2004, 12:28 AM
Well that should be easy for me....I buy Citgo gas anyway. I would not put Exxon/Mobile in a lawn mower. Exxon/Mobile has one of the, if not the , lowest energy content of just about every brand there is. Exxon/Mobile is sh!t gas.:tu:

Rocks

I have a Citgo station on my way to work and have been buying my gas for my truck and my wifes car there for the past two years and the gas is so good my L blew #3 plug out of the head three weeks ago. :mad:
Ford did step up and paid for the new head I just had to pay 1/4 of the repair cost. :) :) :)

03LightningRocks
02-27-2004, 12:44 AM
Ford did step up and paid for the new head I just had to pay 1/4 of the repair cost. :) :) :)

It sounds like you may have gotten lucky????? Well, in a twisted sort of way.

Rocks

Mr.Ed
02-27-2004, 01:02 AM
It sounds like you may have gotten lucky????? Well, in a twisted sort of way.

Rocks
My part was $817. I asked them to change all the other plugs as well so at least if this happens again they would be liable. I only have 21K miles on the 99L and have never driven it hard. I am 62 yrs old and it is my toy. It has spent the majority of its life in the garage covered. I only had 15K miles on it last year but I started driving it on some trips to the farm in east Tx. 126 miles away(Manchester N of Paris) several trips and suddenly the miles started to mount up. My friend also has a L but his is black and he has 31K miles on his. He like to have **** when I told him about my problem. He hasn"t been able to sleep nights.

Ed

03LightningRocks
02-27-2004, 01:29 AM
My part was $817. I asked them to change all the other plugs as well so at least if this happens again they would be liable. I only have 21K miles on the 99L and have never driven it hard. I am 62 yrs old and it is my toy. It has spent the majority of its life in the garage covered. I only had 15K miles on it last year but I started driving it on some trips to the farm in east Tx. 126 miles away(Manchester N of Paris) several trips and suddenly the miles started to mount up. My friend also has a L but his is black and he has 31K miles on his. He like to have **** when I told him about my problem. He hasn"t been able to sleep nights.

Ed

If you don't mind saying, what dealership helped you out with this? It sounds like they went above the call of duty.

Rocks

cpeapea
02-27-2004, 06:53 AM
citgo gas is dirty, atleast exxon/mobil doesnt have **** floating around in it. i prefer shell over most, last time i used citgo it clogged my fuel filter pretty quick

George G.
02-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Is Diamond Shamrock any good? I usually fill up with Exxon up the corner but if that's not avail, then I look for the other. I say we all caravan to the station that's the cheapest and fill up. We'll just line up the L's out the parking lot and be sure to let the clerk know we're buying from them because they're the cheapest and will continue to do so as long as they stay that way.

gagspa
02-27-2004, 09:40 AM
I pretty much always use BP (Amoco) gas in both the Lightning and the Mustang. That is what my car was dyno tuned on.

98Cobra
02-27-2004, 09:46 AM

Rocks
:rolleyes: Why do you think that? Because one vendor posted that on F150Online a while back? Do you have any other evidence at all? Do you have any personal experience with Exxon/Mobil gas? Before their merger, which one had more "energy content"? Inquiring minds want to know...:tu:

98Cobra
02-27-2004, 09:54 AM

Ed
Also, this won't work...

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/nogas.htm

Silver_2000
02-27-2004, 10:02 AM
How many here have worked in a refinery ?

Gas is a commodity. Just because the sign on the pump says Citgo - doesnt mean its citgo gas neccesarily.

Lets run down the brands real quick

Citgo
Exxon - Mobil
Chevron
Shell
Texaco
Arco
Total
Diamond Shamrock
Race Track
Albertsons
Unocal
Phillips 66
Conoco
Fina
Amoco

Many of them are sister companies - Even if we eliminated all the relationships there are NOT That many refineries on Dallas. AND they dont all have separate pipelines from Houston refineries. WHat that means is that there are 2 maybe 3 sources of gas. The brands if they do ANYTHING only add a few additives to a commodity gas that comes from a volume pipeline.

The important thing to do is buy from a brand name supplier and buy from a VOLUME retail outlet... The more volume they do the less likely they will have dirt or other issues in the gas.

Doug

references
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gas_stations

03LightningRocks
02-27-2004, 11:49 AM
citgo gas is dirty, atleast exxon/mobil doesnt have **** floating around in it. i prefer shell over most, last time i used citgo it clogged my fuel filter pretty quick

Dirty gas is more a function of the service station one frequents, than the refinery.

Rocks:tu:

Mr.Ed
02-27-2004, 01:12 PM
If you don't mind saying, what dealership helped you out with this? It sounds like they went above the call of duty.

Rocks
I have bought 7 new automobiles from Skyline Ford I30 East of Dallas in the last 11 years. They said since I was such a loyal customer they would try to get the Ford Rep. to authorize a deductable for me. She did!!! They agreed to fix it for about $2350 I wanted them to change all lthe rest of the plugs while they were working on it so they did and charged me $8 for each (7) plugs. I thought maybe since they changed them if I have a problem in the near future with the other head they will be liable. They replaced the head. I wanted them to put a 2003 head on but they said they couldn't because the 2003 head is a three valve head and 99's are only two. I feel they were very reasonable with me. Since the truck was way out of warranty in time altho I only have 21Kmiles on it. They are the only ones who have ever serviced the truck and also they knew I haven't abused it in any way.

Ed :tu:

Silver_2000
02-27-2004, 01:15 PM
I wanted them to put a 2003 head on but they said they couldn't because the 2003 head is a three valve head and 99's are only two.
Ed :tu:
They are full of it ... 2003 lightnings have 2 valves... Man that sucks when dealers tell you whate ever they think will make you beleive them....

Mr.Ed
02-27-2004, 01:39 PM
They are full of it ... 2003 lightnings have 2 valves... Man that sucks when dealers tell you whate ever they think will make you beleive them....

Well maybe they dupped me!! :evil :evil and you are right I believed them I'm embarrassed :crying: :crying: and hurt that they would lie to me. I don't have trouble sleeping at night cause I don't operate that way. I'm ashamed of them!!! :hammer: :hammer:
Ed

03LightningRocks
02-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Man, that does suck. They moved two steps forward for trying to help, then they go and lie about the heads......back to the starting line they go.

Rocks

03LightningRocks
02-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Well maybe they dupped me!! :evil :evil and you are right I believed them I'm embarrassed :crying: :crying: and hurt that they would lie to me. I don't have trouble sleeping at night cause I don't operate that way. I'm ashamed of them!!! :hammer: :hammer:
Ed

The problem is you Ed. You grew up at a time when honesty and integrety meant something. Your just to darned honest.....please stay that way, there aren't enough folks like that around anymore.

Rocks:beer:

Mr.Ed
02-27-2004, 01:48 PM
The problem is you Ed. You grew up at a time when honesty and integrety meant something. Your just to darned honest.....please stay that way, there aren't enough folks like that around anymore.

Believe me they aren't the first nor will they be the last to doop me!!!!! :(

LonghornLightning
02-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Lets go to that ford dealership and show them who's boss......haha ;)

Mr.Ed
02-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Lets go to that ford dealership and show them who's boss......haha ;)
I am going to point this out once I'm convinced that you are right about the 2-not3 valves. can someone else varify that 99L's have 2 valves and 2003's have two also?

Ed :confused:
Comon men give me some feedback-- do 2003L's only have a two valve head or not????? :confused: :confused:

Mr.Ed
02-27-2004, 03:33 PM

I've deccided the gas war idea was a good thought but I give!!!!! :rolleyes:
I'll just keep buying gas where I have been and GRIPE ABOUT THE PRICE :mad:

min150mph
02-27-2004, 04:06 PM
I am going to point this out once I'm convinced that you are right about the 2-not3 valves. can someone else varify that 99L's have 2 valves and 2003's have two also?

Comon men give me some feedback-- do 2003L's only have a two valve head or not????? :confused: :confused:

http://www.svt.ford.com/vehicleLightningSpecs.asp The specs for the 2004 which is the same as 2003.

Sandman
02-27-2004, 04:08 PM

Go to http://users3.ev1.net/~txsvtlightning/aloc/alocgen2data.html. Under the engine it states:
Intake valves: 1 per cylinder, 44.5mm head diameter.
Exhaust valves: 1 per cylinder, 36mm head diameter.

Scroll to the bottom and it shows the changes in the L from year to year. The only changes in the head is during '03. The only difference in the head was that it had more threads added for the spark plugs.

I may be wrong on this. But I believe the new body style Ford trucks are using the 3 valve head.

blueoval01
02-27-2004, 06:42 PM

Comon men give me some feedback-- do 2003L's only have a two valve head or not????? :confused: :confused: Stock L heads have 2 valves per piston. And I'm about as freakin' common as they get.. :cool:

Mr.Ed
02-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Stock L heads have 2 valves per piston. And I'm about as freakin' common as they get.. :cool:
Ok Thanks for the advice and the site. I am wondering why they would tell me what they did? I will try to explain how it came up. The truck was there for three days and when it all started they had a head in stock and were going to get it finished in two days. Then they couldn't finish it in two days cause the head they had was wrong (figure that one out) then they couldn't get one for another two days. Finally Rick told me he was just going to order me a new head and not put a rebuilt one in.(Have I lost you yet?) I guess they were going to put a timeserts in or something. Ford recommends replacing the head not repairing it. I think they found out they weren't going to get paid if they didn't use a new head. What do you think? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The truck wound up there for 7 days and I go to pick it up and it had two real bad dents (door dings) in the drivers door. They fixed it tho. :tu:

Ed

Mr.Ed
02-27-2004, 09:25 PM
Stock L heads have 2 valves per piston. And I'm about as freakin' common as they get.. :cool:
I wasn't calling you a common person! I was saying come on. I'm sorry if I offended you. I certainly didn"t mean to. :o :o

98Cobra
02-27-2004, 09:32 PM
:rolleyes: Why do you think that? Because one vendor posted that on F150Online a while back? Do you have any other evidence at all? Do you have any personal experience with Exxon/Mobil gas? Before their merger, which one had more "energy content"? Inquiring minds want to know...:tu:
*bump*

Mr.Ed
02-27-2004, 10:38 PM
*bump*
Watching Ch8 news and they said $3 a gal. is going to happen :mad:

98Cobra
02-28-2004, 01:45 AM
Watching Ch8 news and they said $3 a gal. is going to happen :mad:
Eventually, sure. I don't think it will happen this summer, at least not here. In California, MAYBE, but not here. Either way, we still have it better than the Brits. :d

03LightningRocks
02-28-2004, 05:48 AM
I wasn't calling you a common person! I was saying come on. I'm sorry if I offended you. I certainly didn"t mean to. :o :o

I bet he wasn't offended. He is an "old guy" too....:D .

03LightningRocks
02-28-2004, 05:55 AM

Experience my man......I spend more money on gas than the Government...LOL.
I can tell you you'll get crap milage with gas from Race Track too.

Those that think gas is the same no matter where you buy it are kidding themselves. But I have no stake in gas stations, so fill her up where it makes you happy:D .

98Cobra
02-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Experience my man......I spend more money on gas than the Government...LOL.
I can tell you you'll get crap milage with gas from Race Track too.

Those that think gas is the same no matter where you buy it are kidding themselves. But I have no stake in gas stations, so fill her up where it makes you happy:D .

Other than telling me this is personal experience, you successfully avoided all of my other questions. Bravo! :D

I have been buying Exxon/Mobil for years and my truck runs great, NO pinging.

I don't think all gas is the same either, FWIW. But to think that just because you buy Citgo in one place because it is good does not mean it is even Citgo gas coming out of the pump in either place. If a 7-11 can be more economically serviced by an Exxon refinery, it will actually be Exxon gas. So in short, gas is like a box of chocolates, or something. :cool:

Mr.Ed
02-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Other than telling me this is personal experience, you successfully avoided all of my other questions. Bravo! :D

I don't think all gas is the same either, FWIW. But to think that just because you buy Citgo in one place because it is good does not mean it is even Citgo gas coming out of the pump in either place. If a 7-11 can be more economically serviced by an Exxon refinery, it will actually be Exxon gas. So in short, gas is like a box of chocolates, or something. :cool:

I know some gas has more or diffrent additives or more or less additives than others. If I gas up say in Paris Tx. at a citgo or if I gas at a Citgo here in D I can get noticibly better mileage from the gas I get in Paris Tx. I wonder why!!! Ed :confused:

03LightningRocks
02-28-2004, 04:49 PM

I don't think all gas is the same either, FWIW. But to think that just because you buy Citgo in one place because it is good does not mean it is even Citgo gas coming out of the pump in either place. If a 7-11 can be more economically serviced by an Exxon refinery, it will actually be Exxon gas. So in short, gas is like a box of chocolates, or something. :cool:Good for you. My personal experience involves paying for more gas in a month than you can pay for in a year.

So like I said.....buy it where you want......That would be my last word on it.

Rocks:nono:

Just to elaborate a little. For the past 15 years I have had the dubious fortune of watching monthly fuel bills, that are broken down by miles, gallons...gas stations. I do know which brands tend to get the best milage. And i really don't care if you benefit from that or not.

Mr.Ed
02-29-2004, 05:52 PM
Good for you. My personal experience involves paying for more gas in a month than you can pay for in a year.

Just to elaborate a little. For the past 15 years I have had the dubious fortune of watching monthly fuel bills, that are broken down by miles, gallons...gas stations. I do know which brands tend to get the best milage. And i really don't care if you benefit from that or not.

03 you definatly do ROCK!!! :beer:

98Cobra
02-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Good for you. My personal experience involves paying for more gas in a month than you can pay for in a year.

Paying for gas isn't the same as using it. Just to clarify.

I will continue to buy it where I like, thanks!

:rolleyes:

What I was looking for was any emperical data - a study, chart, whatever, that showed the "energy content" of the brands. I am glad that you have been paying fuel bills for 15 years, and while I think that is valuable information, I don't think that would be enough evidence to say "Brand X is **** and Brand Y is awesome!" Case in point: I went to Austin yesterday, and came back today. I used 3/4 of a tank to get there, but only 1/2 to get back. Went there on Exxon, came back on Shell. Is Shell that much better? Or could my average speed have made the difference? I guess we will never know.

Anyways, I guess I hereby declare:

http://www.trietsch.com/images/forumpics/derailed2.jpg

my2002lightning
02-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Hmm... All I know is that I fill-up almost 2x a week on Shell/Mobil 93 with mixed in-town/highway driving ($35-$40/fill-up) and I burn almost a qt. of oil every 1K miles.
It's sorta' bad when your fuel bill is almost as much as your pmt.:hammer: I need to pay this thing off.

My best MPG highway is 14.7 and worst in-town is 11.x. :burnout:

I've had it a year since Friday and I'd do it ALL over again.

Ronald

03LightningRocks
02-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Hmm... All I know is that I fill-up almost 2x a week on Shell/Mobil 93 with mixed in-town/highway driving ($35-$40/fill-up) and I burn almost a qt. of oil every 1K miles.
It's sorta' bad when your fuel bill is almost as much as your pmt.:hammer: I need to pay this thing off.

My best MPG highway is 14.7 and worst in-town is 11.x. :burnout:

I've had it a year since Friday and I'd do it ALL over again.

Ronald
LOL......one of these days I will have to fill up the L, just to see what kind of milage I get out of her. Then again, I probably don't want to know.

Mr.Ed
02-29-2004, 11:21 PM
LOL......one of these days I will have to fill up the L, just to see what kind of milage I get out of her. Then again, I probably don't want to know.

I have to fill up at least once a month with premium 93 to the tune of $35-$40 and it is all city driving. I get about 11 to 12. Course I only drive 2.5 miles to work each day, working a split shift so that is X4=10 miles per day.
I consider myself very LUCKY to work so close.

Ed :banana:

03LightningRocks
02-29-2004, 11:29 PM
I have to fill up at least once a month with premium 93 to the tune of $35-$40 and it is all city driving. I get about 11 to 12. Course I only drive 2.5 miles to work each day, working a split shift so that is X4=10 miles per day.
I consider myself very LUCKY to work so close.

Ed :banana:

I only live about 5 miles from the office. I go in at least 3 days a week, wether they want me to or notknana ....LOL.

The reason I run my truck low on gas is so I can make darned sure I can get the octane up to 100 if I am going to race. 104 is expensive stuff...so I like to have about 4 gallons of 93 and then add about 7 gallons of 104.

Ask the guys...LOL...sometimes I don't make it to the track without running out on the side of the road. At least it makes getting 100 octane in the tank easy.

Rocks

Mr.Ed
02-29-2004, 11:49 PM
I only live about 5 miles from the office. I go in at least 3 days a week, wether they want me to or notknana ....LOL.

The reason I run my truck low on gas is so I can make darned sure I can get the octane up to 100 if I am going to race. 104 is expensive stuff...so I like to have about 4 gallons of 93 and then add about 7 gallons of 104.

Ask the guys...LOL...sometimes I don't make it to the track without running out on the side of the road. At least it makes getting 100 octane in the tank easy.

Rocks

:rll: :rll: :rll:
Ed